signal stregnth going up and down

joeh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Louisville, KY Aera
Hi,
I was looking at my signal strength on my 301 receiver, and on 110 i am getting a signal of 73 at this moment, but i was checking it while the wind was blowing and and the signal was going up and down and on 119 i have a signal of 88 and it was going up and down also. The wind is not blowing right now and the signal is staying at the same strength. So it got me thinking about my trees. I have a tree were the limbs are above the dish, there are no limbs directly in front of the dish either. If i look at were the dish is pointing i have a clear view. Could the limbs above the dish be affecting my signal, and if so how far away from the dish do i need to cut the limbs off, for example do i need to cut all limbs off that are like 3 ft from the dish or what. THANKS

joeh said:
Hi,
I was looking at my signal strength on my 301 receiver, and on 110 i am getting a signal of 73 at this moment, but i was checking it while the wind was blowing and and the signal was going up and down and on 119 i have a signal of 88 and it was going up and down also. The wind is not blowing right now and the signal is staying at the same strength. So it got me thinking about my trees. I have a tree were the limbs are above the dish, there are no limbs directly in front of the dish either. If i look at were the dish is pointing i have a clear view. Could the limbs above the dish be affecting my signal, and if so how far away from the dish do i need to cut the limbs off, for example do i need to cut all limbs off that are like 3 ft from the dish or what. THANKS
You are using an offset fed dish the signal comes into the dish about 22 degrees above straight out from the dish. What you were seeing is branches blocking the signal from getting to your dish.

If the tree limbs are directly above your dish, and hanging over, you will be good if you cut them directly even with the top of the dish, just keep them trimed to that point and you shouldnt have any problems, that is if the tree limbs are causing the problem in the first place. Is your dish mount stable? Is your dish tightend down to the mast/pole? D500 or Super Dish? If its a D500, chek the bolt in the top plate of the polar arm, (the metal circle looking thing behind the reflecter(reflecter is the thing that looks like a big round plate)) There is one single bolt that goes through the top of that, it should be tightend down almost to the point where it bends the metal. If that is loose, your dish will move around, and eventuly go out of alignment. To tighten that bolt, you will need 2 7/16's nut drivers/wrech's.

boba said:
You are using an offset fed dish the signal comes into the dish about 22 degrees above straight out from the dish. What you were seeing is branches blocking the signal from getting to your dish.
Am I using the same dish? If so this is good for me, My dish is clearing the trees now, but I was concerned that in a few years I might have a problem with the trees growing. This buys me a lot more time.
Lenny
SBC/Dish
Connecticut
top 120 with locals
Sat's 119 and 110

all of the tree limbs are equal to the top of the dish, but there are a few limbs that are equal to the top but there about 2 ft away from the front of the dish but still equal do they need to be cut? all screws are tight and dish is mounted strongly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts