Signing Up for Direct TV, am I a new customer in this scenario?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diedre88

Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
USA
I have had Direct TV for over four years now, but the bill is in my husband's name. We are in the process of separating and he says he is taking the Direct TV equipment with him since the bill is in his name. I really like Direct TV but they are telling me I will have to pay for installation. That doesn't make sense to me since the bill is in his name and I would like to sign up under my name as a new customer.

The rep told me since we are legally still married and the address is the same that I don't qualify for any new customer incentives such as free installation, and that I would have to buy the equipment!!!!!! They did say that they would give me the HD receivers for $125.00 and the regular receivers for S&H. But that still puts me out of pocket almost $300 and I just can't afford it. The wires are all run, all I would need to do is plug the darn things in. I think I can do that!

Has anyone out there been in my shoes? I suppose I can just get cable :confused:

Compare Cable,Fios (if Available), Dish Network, to Directv and make sure its really worth the hassle . I know for a Fact Dish Network will hook you up for free.

Last edited:
Directv should also hook you up for free. Just use a cell number in place of your current home number and you should not have any issues.

as soon as you cancel or the service has been transfered Directv will start bombarding you with calls to get you back. If you can live without service for a week - you will be able to get a free "install" .. failing that - call back - ask for retention or cancellations and explain what is happening to them - i'm sure they will bend a little .. you might not get all of the new customer discounts (unless you go with cable for a month and wait for them to beg you to come back) but they should work with you on equipment.

If you like Directv - stick with Directv ... In my opinion - Dish or cable are just selling an inferior product. Dish would have to give me some MAJOR discounts to ever get me back on a two-year contract.

I have had Direct TV for over four years now, but the bill is in my husband's name. We are in the process of separating and he says he is taking the Direct TV equipment with him since the bill is in his name. I really like Direct TV but they are telling me I will have to pay for installation. That doesn't make sense to me since the bill is in his name and I would like to sign up under my name as a new customer.

The rep told me since we are legally still married and the address is the same that I don't qualify for any new customer incentives such as free installation, and that I would have to buy the equipment!!!!!! They did say that they would give me the HD receivers for $125.00 and the regular receivers for S&H. But that still puts me out of pocket almost $300 and I just can't afford it. The wires are all run, all I would need to do is plug the darn things in. I think I can do that!

Has anyone out there been in my shoes? I suppose I can just get cable :confused:
In this case I'd email Ellen Filipiak, Sr. Vice President Customer Care:
DIRECTV: Contact DIRECTV Office of the President She will help you out and get you on track.

Or if you'd like to call, call DirecTV HQ at 13109645000(published number), ask for Ellen Filipiak, Sr. Vice President Customer Care. You might get to talk to one of her reps but they're very helpful.

It has worked for me in the past when CSRs were no help.

as soon as you cancel or the service has been transfered Directv will start bombarding you with calls to get you back. If you can live without service for a week - you will be able to get a free "install" .. failing that - call back - ask for retention or cancellations and explain what is happening to them - i'm sure they will bend a little .. you might not get all of the new customer discounts (unless you go with cable for a month and wait for them to beg you to come back) but they should work with you on equipment.

If you like Directv - stick with Directv ... In my opinion - Dish or cable are just selling an inferior product. Dish would have to give me some MAJOR discounts to ever get me back on a two-year contract.
Directv would have to give me
3 HD DVR's for Free, (sorry make that 4 since they should just throw in the 4th, for the trouble the first 3 are going to cause me.)
15 more Premium channels
20 more national HD channels
15 more local channels,
and knock off about $13 per month off the bill for 2 years.
Then they will be in the ballpark with E*:p
Then just maybe I would think about Directv again.:)

3 HD DVR's for Free, (sorry make that 4 since they should just throw in the 4th, for the trouble the first 3 are going to cause me.)
15 more Premium channels
15 more local channels,
Good for you, you want a cookie.:smug

don't you love the smell of trolls in the morning.

15 more Premium channels
15 more local channels,

I guess what you are trying to say is - if you find something that works for you - stick with it .. dish works for you - direct works for me and the OP ...

;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)