Simultaneous Recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.

heelhawk

Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal
Greetings! I've placed my order for DirecTV but am having second thoughts due to what I believe to be misinformation.

The reps on the phone have told me that, if I have an HD DVR and an HD Receiver, with the Whole Home DVR Service, that I will be able to record four programs, all in HD, at one time. The previous rep told me three shows at once with that setup.

I'm with Uverse now and love it, but am moving. Uverse can do four at once (2HD, 2SD) but I haven't seen in writing that DirecTV has the same capability. Can anyone please set me straight??

Thanks for the info!

Both are wrong. With one HDDVR and one HD non-DVR You can record two programs at one time while watching a third prerecorded program off the DVR. Best to get 2 DVR's and be done with it. Then you can record 4 HD programs at the same time.

S~

First, thank you both for the quick replies.

However, I'm still getting conflicting info. Maybe it depends on box models? If anyone can point me to an official document stating the capabilities, that'd be super.

Thanks again.

An HD rcvr, can ONLY watch a show off the HDDVR, it too CANNOT record. You are tuner limited by the number of HDDVR's you have. You will be able to record TWO programs at a time on the HDDVR, and you will be able to watch one recorded show off the HDDVR and a different recorded show off the HD Rcvr, all at the same time.

Record two, and watch two simultaneously, with your setup.

I have two HDDVR's, which means 4 tuners, which means 4 things recording at once. While those 4 are recording, I can sit at one HDDVR and watch something off the HDD, and my wife can sit at the other and watch something off the HDD. Record 4, watch 2 simultaneously.

Thanks elwaylite. I really could not imagine that their HD DVR could record more than two shows at once. I mean, uverse's can, and they make a really big point of telling people about it. Seems that DirecTV would do the same if they could.

That said, the rep I most recently spoke to insisted that her system at home, with the same setup I've ordered, can record four shows at once. You think she was taking me on a don't cancel ride?

Reps many times dont know a lot. She prob has two HDDVR's, if she can actually record 4 at the same time.

I originally got 2 DVR's because some nights I need 4 tuners, but it was a pain to have to watch shows in the bedroom. Now that MRV is here, I love being able to watch the recordings wherever I want, AND having access to 4 tuners.

Alrighty then, I'm satisfied.

Still gonna cancel the order but, because of this board, I now know that I can place a new order through costco and get costco cash back. Plus, I am set on getting the 24 series or nothing at all and I know that I can insist on it.

Thanks y'all. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. Keep up the good work.

Thanks elwaylite. I really could not imagine that their HD DVR could record more than two shows at once. I mean, uverse's can, and they make a really big point of telling people about it. Seems that DirecTV would do the same if they could.

That said, the rep I most recently spoke to insisted that her system at home, with the same setup I've ordered, can record four shows at once. You think she was taking me on a don't cancel ride?

Just for your information, the Uverse dvr can record 4 programs at a time, but only two will be in hd.

Heelhawk, Same thing was told to me when I ordered. I should have found this place first because it was one of those WTF moments when the installer told me the real deal after everything was installed.

Since we are on the subject....

With the HD DVR how many shows can be recorded at the same time while watching a different program on live tv?

With my tivo it was record two at the same time but you couldn't be watching a 3rd live program. Is that the same with DTV HD DVR?

Yes. You are limited by the number of tuners. You can watch a prerecorded show while recording two shows. If you are watching one program that would leave only one tuner available for recording.

S~

I found out tonight you can actually do 4 things with the DVR at the same time
record 2 shows
download something from the on demand to the hard drive
watch something on the hard drive that you recorded earlier

Ice, does Directv have a good selection of HD OnDemand stuff?

I know Dish is lacking in that department and the one's I do download that are supposedly HD, doesn't look HD!

They have a fair amount of free stuff too :)

Some of the old music videos on VH1 Classic and Fuse are really good. Some stuff I havent heard in ages :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

To those of you with HR24 and AM21

Finally canceled E* today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)