Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Sounds like one of those old travelogs: "We watch the sun set as Sinclair slowly sinks further into the quagmire". Somebody sold them a monumental bill of goods. They tried to corner the market and got themselves in a corner instead. :rolleyes:

If MLB and the NBA are saying Sinclair doesn't own all the rights it needs where does that leave Sinclair's leverage at the bargaining table? Poof!! Bu-bye! :wave

Wow! I had no idea Sinclair was that stupid. With all their talk, I figured they at least had the rights in line and the issue was creating the distribution tech. Turns out, they don't even have digital distribution rights! And sounds like they are bleeding cash. And Dish knows this... also probably why Sinclair is talking to Dish because they need more revenue just to keep the doors open. It isn't like they bought these channels with ca...

...I can just see Charlie walking away with the RSNs as Sinclair goes belly up. Become Dish Sports NW, Dish Sports Ohio. :D

Reactions: charlesrshell

I'm sorry but DTC baseball will never happen, it's a boring outdated sport (especially on TV). To be profitable, it'll cost a fortune since very few will subscribe. It worked when they could force it on everyone, ala carte forget about it.

To be profitable, it'll cost a fortune since very few will subscribe. It worked when they could force it on everyone, ala carte forget about it.

I guess it depends what they will price it at. The rumor of $23 a month is excessive but if they sold this at around $9.99/month, I bet some people would jump to it. Plus, from what I've seen with sports channels and streaming, they sell commercials specifically for the streaming service that differ from what you see on the TV broadcast. That means, they are trying to sell ads that would directly help to offset the cost of the streaming.

It could work with the right business model and the right sell to the consumer.

I guess it depends what they will price it at. The rumor of $23 a month is excessive but if they sold this at around $9.99/month, I bet some people would jump to it. Plus, from what I've seen with sports channels and streaming, they sell commercials specifically for the streaming service that differ from what you see on the TV broadcast. That means, they are trying to sell ads that would directly help to offset the cost of the streaming.

It could work with the right business model and the right sell to the consumer.
But, assuming the $23 a month is what they need to stay afloat, you'd need more than twice the amount of people to subscribe at $10/month.

Not workable at the current time for many teams. For instance, and this is not a unique situation, in 2014 the Phillies signed an agreement with Comcast giving them exclusive rights for 20, yes twenty, years. So, unless MLB and the Phillies reach an agreement with Comcast and Comcast is willing and able to initiate it's own DTC system it's not going to happen. Comcast is never going to agree to allow MLB to stream Phillies games in direct competition with Comcast's own cable offerings. Now before someone jumps in and says MLB can negotiate collective rights I would point out that the Dodgers rights agreement came out of their suing and winning in court the right to negotiate their own agreement so it's already been through the courts.

Some examples:
Cardinals and Fox Sports Midwest 15 year agreement in 2018
Los Angeles Angels Fox Sports 20 year agreement in 2011
Dodgers Time Warner 25 year agreement in 2013

Reactions: charlesrshell
Stuff about Sinclair on this too.

Local radio station here did a report on that. There is little chance that won't happen according to them. It looks to be not by team but by market just as it is on Cable/Sat. So some markets will cost more than others. It would be constructed in a way not to compete with but to supplement their online Streaming since one is for in market, the other for out of market. RSN's would still exist providing the same programming they do now just also available for streaming in your Market.

WFLA went on to talk about the handwriting is that local sports networks on Cable may not work forever as costs rise and cable companies compete against Streaming.

Hmmm - What Satellite Company said that LONG ago?

Local radio station here did a report on that. There is little chance that won't happen according to them. It looks to be not by team but by market just as it is on Cable/Sat. So some markets will cost more than others. It would be constructed in a way not to compete with but to supplement their online Streaming since one is for in market, the other for out of market. RSN's would still exist providing the same programming they do now just also available for streaming in your Market.

WFLA went on to talk about the handwriting is that local sports networks on Cable may not work forever as costs rise and cable companies compete against Streaming.

Hmmm - What Satellite Company said that LONG ago?
Thanks Tampa8

Our local Sinclair owned CBS outlet reported "significant technical issues" today that affected their noon news broadcast. The news was reported using a single anchor and a fixed camera that appeared to be located in a remote studio. Their network programming appears to be operating normally though.

WPBN in Traverse City is currently showing Charge which is usually on 7.3 on 7.1. This is what you also see on Dish. The same can also be watch on 29.1 which dose not carry charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I guess there is some Irony is this. With these Local Broadcasting companies demanding such huge increases from satellite & cable companies, maybe some group has found a way to get back at them?

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)