Not open for further replies.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I decided to try this out since I've heard so many good things about it. Later this month I plan to be traveling outside the country and my Verizon cell phone seemed to be spotty and quite expensive. I plan to have moderate speed dialup and sometimes wifi connection.

Has anyone tried to use skype on a dialup at 28kbps? Does it work?

Has anyone tried to use the video module with skype?

Interested in any opinions good and bad so I know what to expect.

I'm pretty sure, even using the lossiest codec, 28.8 would be hard to live with (depending on the dialup provider, possibly an understatement), also, some (more and more) ISPs (esp disalups) filter, or throttle this kind of traffic out/down).

I know a guy who uses it in another (3rd worldish) country to call people here (incl. myself), and he uses it over (albeit crappy) DSL, and it sounds like ass most of the time, echos, breakups, but again, he is in another country (crappy copper, old telco, etc), and there are calls which, except for the echo, were fine.

I was planning to use it on a cruise ship. Dialup internet connection in the cabin and wifi in the designated public areas. It works very well here but I had it on a cable modem to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts