SL5 and HR-24 simplest install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hyinthesky

Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
North Texas
Please try to keep the answer to this dumbed down here because I know squat about any of this stuff. I just purchased a SL5 to use with my HR-24. Can I just run RG6 to both tuners on the dvr and go with it or wil need BBC or powered splitter thing? Duh...

Is there already a dish up with a 3 LNB?

If so is it a SWM or a legacy lnb on the dish?
What type is the new LNB?

Maybe if you need it to "dumbed down" you should just call D* and pay them to do it.

Please try to keep the answer to this dumbed down here because I know squat about any of this stuff. I just purchased a SL5 to use with my HR-24. Can I just run RG6 to both tuners on the dvr and go with it or wil need BBC or powered splitter thing? Duh...

Well assuming that you have a properly tuned dish for the SL5. You will need a BBC for each tuner on the HR24.

Maybe if you need it to "dumbed down" you should just call D* and pay them to do it.

Agreed - over the past few years, I really do NOT understand these constant "duh" postings on buying ALL these needed receivers & other equipment, & installing it...

- You ARE paying for the the equipment EITHER way, whether you are BUYING it off flea-bay, Amazon, etc OR directly from D* (although you would probaby get a better deal from D*)
- You ARE put on a 2-year contract for ANY new equipment activated EITHER way unless you are buying an owned receiver, which is VERY unlikely on an HR24
- D* normally provides FREE installation on new equipment installs or upgrades, INCLUDING providing the dish & ALL needed equipment FREE, AND properly installed, aligned, etc. - you do NOT have to do jack to have it done right the first time

But yet, these people insist on putting themselves through all this frustration & expense, on something they freely admit they "know squat" about... :rolleyes: :eek:
AND interestingly, they ALWAYS seem to be 1st posts from newbies joining these (legit) boards...only to disappear & never be heard from again

(actually, I have a VERY good suspicion why many of these people are doing these, but I'll just leave that alone... ;) ;) )

Sorry about this rant, but I really felt it needed to FINALLY be said...

Last edited:
Well, at least someone actually answered the guy (Liquid Force).

Kjlued, questioned the guy and Dishrich degraded the guy ...... :eek:
Yet you mentioned about the site being a great place for info, which it is.

If the guy bought a SL5, let him set it up and use it, maybe he's camping, D*'s not coming to your campground every weekend to set one up.
( I doubt that's the case as it wasn't mentioned, but you don't know)

Is there already a dish up with a 3 LNB?

What would this have to do with a slimline 5 LNB.

My guess is if he has D* service and he bought a Slimline 5 LNB, then he doesn't have a Slimline 3.

Don't confuse him, D* has a Phase III dish that also has 3 LNB's , which would serve him no use with the HR 24.

Now, if he wants to install it on his own , Who cares?

To answer your question, Yes you can run 2 lines of RG6 from your Slimline 5 to your HR 24, But you will need BBC's. But its much cheaper then all that SWM junk.

I think some of it is brought out when people don't use the "Search" funtion and the same questions asked over and over again.

You are right Jimbo and Hemi! Here is a straight answer for you Hyinthesky. If the SL5 has four outputs, then you need to run two cables to the dvr and use a bbc on each. If there is one output, then you don't need any bbcs, but you will need a power inserter. Let us know if you need any other answers.

I questioned because I was trying to find out more information.
The reason I asked about his current set up (if he had a slimline 3) was I wanted to know if it would be a simple LNB swap or if it was complete dish set up so I could give proper info. Also, I wanted to know if he had a current SWM or Legacy setup and if the new setup was SWM or Legacy.

I suppose their is a possibility of an RV Setup too, but this post says nothing about it.

I was just trying to get more info as he really delivered none to properly answer the questions he was asking.

However, I guess it is really a moot point as he asked this question 2 days and he has not replied since.

But if he does come back and let us know what he is trying to accomplish then maybe we could all give him a definitive answer instead of assuming what he is trying to do.

Yup, once again, people come to ask questions, we answer them best we can with the info we have and they never reply if it worked or if they are stuck or anything...

Wantoniak said:
Dude if you buy your own equipment you do not have sign the contract for 24 months and go monthly. This makes difference if you do not IDE DTV whole year round

You brought up a thread fron Feb. for this ?

You re incorrect with your comment as well, well sorta anyways.
How many HR24's have you ever heard of being "Bought" ?

D* hasn't SOLD recvrs since '06 ...... occasionally you'll find a special situation, but the people actually Buying them are Not the ones coming to sites like thbis to find out HOW to install one ....

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

You brought up a thread fron Feb. for this ?

You re incorrect with your comment as well, well sorta anyways.
How many HR24's have you ever heard of being "Bought" ?

D* hasn't SOLD recvrs since '06 ...... occasionally you'll find a special situation, but the people actually Buying them are Not the ones coming to sites like thbis to find out HOW to install one ....

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Jimbo, where did you find the post you quoted from Wantoniak? I can't find it or him anywhere on Satguys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts