Slimline HD dish install on balcony?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdr07

Original poster
May 27, 2007
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm in the Los Angeles area and I'm trying to install the slimline dish on my balcony and I'm looking at tripod, cinderblock mounts, etc. Please let me know if you have any suggestions/ideas as my HOA doesn't allow roofmounts so this is the only option I have. Much thanks.

Raul

I would do it the same way any balcony set up is done, no different.
Cinder blocks, bucket of cement with a pole, ect.
All provided you have room ....
This dish is still not that large, it's not like it's a C-band dish .....

I would do it the same way any balcony set up is done, no different.
Cinder blocks, bucket of cement with a pole, ect.
All provided you have room ....
This dish is still not that large, it's not like it's a C-band dish .....

I guess you never seen how unsteady the dish is in a bucket. I would be better to put it in a tub. A non-pen works better.

zip tie it to the railing :D just kidding. I use non pen or tripod and use tapcons to make the tripod not move. They are easy to fill in after u leave

I guess you never seen how unsteady the dish is in a bucket. I would be better to put it in a tub. A non-pen works better.

The problem with the slimline is not its size, it is the wind loading. Strong gusts of wind will move the dish if it is not completely secured, so buckets/tubs are usually not enough. Securing the dish to a balcony railing is usually not safe, because the wind loading is too great for standard balcony railings. Many DirecTV installers will not do a balcony mount of any type, because of these issues.
I have seen installations using a non-pen roof mount, with the addition of stabiliser bars connecting the dish post to the wall or railing.
Remember that the alignment of the dish to the new satellites in the 99/103 slots needs to be much more precise than for the 101/110/119 satellites - even a slight movement can severely affect your reception.

The problem with the slimline is not its size, it is the wind loading. Strong gusts of wind will move the dish if it is not completely secured, so buckets/tubs are usually not enough. Securing the dish to a balcony railing is usually not safe, because the wind loading is too great for standard balcony railings. Many DirecTV installers will not do a balcony mount of any type, because of these issues.
I have seen installations using a non-pen roof mount, with the addition of stabiliser bars connecting the dish post to the wall or railing.
Remember that the alignment of the dish to the new satellites in the 99/103 slots needs to be much more precise than for the 101/110/119 satellites - even a slight movement can severely affect your reception.

Are you talking to me???
I said non-pen twice already

The way that i have done mine, is take a 2" pole and attach 4 ka/ku feet ( 2 back to back) with the pole in the middle and tighten as tight as possible....it will not move....the winds way up here are strong and they dont move the dish....

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm in the Los Angeles area and I'm trying to install the slimline dish on my balcony and I'm looking at tripod, cinderblock mounts, etc. Please let me know if you have any suggestions/ideas as my HOA doesn't allow roofmounts so this is the only option I have. Much thanks.

Raul

This is my install.

Attachments

• Sat Dish 006.jpg
    Sat Dish 006.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 600
  • Sat Dish 007.jpg
    Sat Dish 007.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Sat Dish 008.jpg
    Sat Dish 008.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Sat Dish 009.jpg
    Sat Dish 009.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 459
D* couldn't get a slimline installed on my balcony. The main problem was that I'm on the 3rd floor and the eaves of the building are blocking the line of sight for the HD satellites. My complex won't allow mounting outside the balcony railing so I was SOL. I had resigned to go back to non-HD and the next installer came with a 3LNB dish and finally got a signal. It is mounted on a tripod flattened against the railing and zip-tied to the railing and I later screwed the only extended leg into the porch floor. The good thing is that somehow I'm getting some HD, not the strongest signal, but it's there except for the satellite with the HD locals which is fine because I have a big UHF antenna on the porch that picks those up beautifully with a 100% signal strength.

D* couldn't get a slimline installed on my balcony. The main problem was that I'm on the 3rd floor and the eaves of the building are blocking the line of sight for the HD satellites. My complex won't allow mounting outside the balcony railing so I was SOL. I had resigned to go back to non-HD and the next installer came with a 3LNB dish and finally got a signal. It is mounted on a tripod flattened against the railing and zip-tied to the railing and I later screwed the only extended leg into the porch floor. The good thing is that somehow I'm getting some HD, not the strongest signal, but it's there except for the satellite with the HD locals which is fine because I have a big UHF antenna on the porch that picks those up beautifully with a 100% signal strength.

If you can get signal from 101, you SHOULD be able to get 99 and 103.

I never said it was, just correcting grydlok's incorrect post.

Wow an $100 tripod. boy I can see those things really selling.

I like to thank you though for that link. The had a magna roller on the page. I been looking for that for a while from someplace that didn't look shady

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)