Sling gets 46m investment from Echostar, etc.

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Liberty Media, EchoStar Invest in slingbox

From red heering

Sling Gets $46.6M in Funding

The money will help the maker of a set-top box that enables remote access to TV and other content develop new products.
January 30, 2006
Sling Media, which makes a set-top box that allows users to access their television programs, music, and pictures from their laptops and other mobile devices, said Monday it has secured $46.6 million in a second round of financing.

The funding round was led by Goldman Sachs, and joined by Liberty Media and satellite broadcast provider EchoStar. The company’s first investors, Hearst Corp., Doll Capital Management, and Mobius Venture Capital, which originally invested $11.5 million, also joined the round, as did a handful of undisclosed investors.

San Mateo, California-based Sling is one of the companies that gave rise to the term “placeshifting,” which involves redirecting a TV signal to other devices virtually anywhere using a high-speed Internet connection.

The company’s CEO and co-founder, Blake Krikorian, 38, said the funds will help the company roll out a number of new products, as well as give the company an acquisition war chest, should the need for one arise

What this means for us is that we can expand sales to other parts of the world,” Mr. Krikorian said. “But we also want to expand our product portfolio, and provide a family of different products.”

Sling’s primary product is the Slingbox, a set-top box that looks something like an oversized chocolate bar. The device lets users connect their television sets to Sling’s bank of Internet routers, and from there, to any playback device, whether the user is at home or on the road. It retails for about $249.

Mr. Krikorian said the company has sold a six-figure number of the devices so far, and that most customers are using them to wire up their living rooms or watch television at work. The company has built a distribution network of some 3,000 retail outlets. Mr. Krikorian said that after a good holiday season, retailers are asking if Sling has any other products waiting in the wings.

Earlier this month, the company rolled out a Macintosh version of its product, and announced it could deliver television content to Windows mobile Smartphones and handheld computers (see Slingbox Plots a Revolution).

“The irony of what we're doing, in a lot of ways, is starting where the cable guys left off, by laying a virtual cable from the set-top box to the consumer, to wherever they are,” he said.

Will TV Firms Play Ball?
The ultimate success of Sling will depend on the cooperation of television and cable broadcasters who fear, among other things, alienating their affiliates, and losing advertising revenue.

Mr. Krikorian said so far, broadcasters and cable companies are starting to get it. Investor Liberty Media, a major distributor of TV entertainment, sports, and other programming including
the Discovery Channel, USA, QVC, Encore, and STARZ, will go a long way toward helping the startup make its case to other media giants, he said.

“Consumers already have tons of TV content,” he said. “If they watch on their laptops at home, or at work, we’ve just added another 10 hours that broadcasters could never deliver to their customers. And those hours are gravy. You need to figure out how to monetize that and get Nielsen credit. But I think they’re starting to get it, and I think they’re coming around. They’ve seen how well the product is doing, and that it’s not going away.”

He also dismisses legal concerns that users could be violating copyright laws by taking television content, and watching it at times and in formats the broadcasters likely never intended.

I think legally it’s clear that it’s not even a copy we’re making, and we’re certainly not violating copyright law,” Mr. Krikorian said. “I think if people are asked if you should be able to watch TV you’re paying for, wherever you happen to be, the answer is a resounding ‘yes,’” he said. “But I don’t think anyone thinks they can sue it out of existence.”

This is great, who knows maybe with your new ViP receiver you can access your Dish Network receiver from anywhere over the internet. :)

I love my Slingbox and use it daily.

Wouldn't it be great if it were BUILT IN to your satellite receiver.

I have heard no rumors of this, but my mind goes wild with these ideas. :D

I didn't post it, Gbjany did so he deserves all the credit.

And if you don't mind I am going to move this to the general Dish Network area. :)

This is a great buy. I have thought about buying one but might wait and see what the future holds. Someone needs to ask at the next chat.:hungry:

Sling Media Raises $46.6 Million in Funding from Goldman, Sachs & Co., Liberty Media Corporation and Echostar Communications

San Mateo, CA – January 31, 2006 —Sling Media, Inc., a digital lifestyle products company, today announced it closed a $46.6 million round of financing. Goldman, Sachs & Co., Liberty Media Corporation and Echostar Communications led the financing round. Allen & Co. LLC, DCM – Doll Capital Management, Mobius Venture Capital, The Hearst Corporation and other undisclosed investors also participated in the financing.

“We are delighted to receive financial backing from some of the true pioneers in the industry. Over the past several decades these leaders have played an integral role in building and shaping the media world we live in today,” said Blake Krikorian, co-founder and CEO of Sling Media, Inc. “It is refreshing to work with such established players who continue to push for new ways to delight and empower the consumer. In summary, we are stoked.”

Sling Media’s first product, the Slingbox ™ , is a breakthrough consumer electronics device that enables consumers to watch their living room TV programming from wherever they are by turning virtually any Internet-connected Windows-based laptop or desktop and any Windows Mobile-based PDA or smartphone into a personal TV. The Slingbox redirects, or “placeshifts,” a single live TV stream from a basic cable connection, cable box, satellite receiver or digital video recorder (DVR) to the viewer’s PC - located anywhere in the home or anywhere in the world, via the Internet.

This past holiday season the Slingbox was one of the hottest holiday gifts and has been met with critical acclaim from major personal technology reviewers, including columnists for The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, MSNBC, CNET.com and The Financial Times, among others. The Slingbox has also received numerous industry awards across multiple categories, spanning innovation, engineering and design. Sling Media most recently received a PC World “Innovations” award, Time Magazine’s “Best Inventions of 2005,” BusinessWeek’s “Best Products of 2005,” a “Best of What’s New” award from Popular Science and a “Breakthrough Innovation” award from Popular Mechanics.

Not that we were worried about those guys, but for those interested in the higher level goings on of Sling Media, makers of the Slingbox, they just got a $46.6 cash infusion from a number of notable investors, including Mobius, The Hearst Corporation, and Echostar. Yeah, that Echostar, who pumped Archos full of $10 million last year. You know, we're kind of liking where they're going with their investments of late (well, most of them, anyway), and we really hope they're doing what we think they're doing -- namely, you know, enabling some real-world-useful content delivery mechanisms for their customers.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/31/sling-gets-46m-investment-from-echostar-etc/

I am more apt to believe that my $200 slingbox, which I love also. I even have a camera attached to it for home monitoring, that there will be a "monthly" charge coming for the service.

I talked with one of Slingbox founders at the Sound and Vision Party at CES and I don't feel there is any charge coming up for the service if you have a stand along Slingbox, however with what I am imagining here I could see a charge if the Slingbox was built into the Satellite Receiver.

I wouldnt be surprised if Dish Network would try to buy them out or develop their own technology doing something similar. It would be a HIT! The first to come out with the technology would be the ones to make the money from it. Dish Network would probably charge us a monthly portable fee to use it (like an additional outlet/receiver fee only higher, perhaps the DVR fee on top of that).

I typed my message before I read what Dishpointer wrote, so I see some people are already thinking the same things as me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts