Sling over LAN?

whitenerj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Texas
Is it possible to watch the sling feed on my 922 over my LAN vs the dish remote access site which goes over the net? I find that I have to use the lowest quality video setting to have a reliable stream. I wish I could just stream over my network and get the full video setting.

Even though you're accessing the DISH Remote Access to start what you want to watch. Your video packets are not going up to the Internet and then back down again to whatever computer you are on. They do NOT leave your local LAN. If you're getting low quality video, then it's either your computer or your home network that can't keep up. The speed of the net coming from your ISP has no effect on video quality.

Right now, your options for your kids room are either to run coax and use the TV2 "Home Distribution" port. Or a small dedicated nettop PC with some decent processing power.

In the future, there's the Sling Reciever to look forward to, but as some other users would tell you here. Don't bet on it until it's an actual shipping product from DISH.

Last edited:
Cheap routers and switches can cause choke points in a network. Consider upgrading if nothing else works.

Cheap routers and switches can cause choke points in a network. Consider upgrading if nothing else works.

I wouldn't blame your equipment too much. I upgraded to a NETGEAR GS116 Switch (this is what the microsoft employees use for media center / extender setups) and switched out any cat5 cables to cat6. I still have issues using the sling site. The more you read this forum you'll see that a LOT of people have issues.

I wonder if you could run a crossover cable from the 922 directly to a PC and run some type of DHCP server and internet sharing tool. If that would work you certainly couldn't blame your networking equipment when there are problems. I'll do some research on this.

I think there is an old version of the Sling Player (for PCs) that works directly (without DRA). I really really hope Dish adds a current gen standalone player back into the mix.

Are the older versions that work directly without DRA able to be found easily or are they hard to find? What model would I look for? Do they work on your private network and over the internet or just one or the other? I wish there was something that work with either choice that you wanted giving flexibility.

I have a SlingBox HD Pro and it works great over the lan. Good thing as that's what I mostly use it for. But only one at a time, can't stream channel to more than one pc. I have the VIP222k hooked to it. I have to use a different remote version as dual tuner receivers are not really indicated for use with this SlingBox. HD looks ok but sometimes you can notice stream compression changes, little hiccups at times. I have the required upload speed on my ISP to make it work over the net very well too.
I am using a Linksys E2000 router (gigabit) with 2 Linksys 8 port gigabit switches :D time for a pic!!

Attachments

• 1128100835b.jpg
    1128100835b.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 282
Your router is upside down! just kidding. I think the OP is more interested in being able to use the SLING feature of the 922 with out having to go through some third party software ie' DRA or SLING.com. Im sure its possible but they will never allow it due to copy right stuff probably.

Are the older versions that work directly without DRA able to be found easily or are they hard to find? What model would I look for? Do they work on your private network and over the internet or just one or the other?
Somewhat hard to find, yes. The version of the SlingPlayer you are looking for is 2.0.3508, although I haven't figured out how to get it into HD mode. I can verify that newer versions, such as 2.0.4522, do not find my Sling Adapter. Surprisingly, I got an even older version to work on W2K: 1.5.1.338, but it most definitely won't go into anything resembling HD. I haven't tried any of these remotely; I only tried them on the local LAN when they find my Sling Adapter without (much) trouble.

I have a SlingBox HD Pro and it works great over the lan. Good thing as that's what I mostly use it for. But only one at a time, can't stream channel to more than one pc. I have the VIP222k hooked to it. I have to use a different remote version as dual tuner receivers are not really indicated for use with this SlingBox. HD looks ok but sometimes you can notice stream compression changes, little hiccups at times. I have the required upload speed on my ISP to make it work over the net very well too.
I am using a Linksys E2000 router (gigabit) with 2 Linksys 8 port gigabit switches :D time for a pic!!

Looks nice.