NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go

Sling TV Adds Pluto TV Channels - Free Even Without Subscription​

Reactions: dishdude
I watched the 1st episode of Stargate Universe on Pluto TV last night. I just gave up because the ads were so frequent and so dang repetitive.
Yeah, I stopped using IMDB TV for the same reason. There was no rhyme or reason as to when an adv broke in. Could be in the middle of a scene or even a sentence. A guys swinging a punch and before it lands an adv breaks in. No thanks.

Yeah, I stopped using IMDB TV for the same reason. There was no rhyme or reason as to when an adv broke in. Could be in the middle of a scene or even a sentence. A guys swinging a punch and before it lands an adv breaks in. No thanks.
Every streaming service I subscribe to is commercial free( except Live TV of course), if any of them no longer offers a no commercial plan, it will be gone.

I have no problem paying more for the option.

Reactions: N6BY and TheKrell
Pluto TV is probably my most used service.

Since I normally put it on for background noise, the ads don't bug me.
For noise, I usually put the Beverly Hillbillies Channel on.

Pluto does not bother me, it is free, I keep waiting for the day a service no longer offers Commercial Free because of the increase in revenue they would get.

I read that Hulu gets about $12-14 dollars per sub from Ads, add that to the $6.99 monthly charge is a lot more then the $12.99 Commercial Free plan.

From a business sense, it makes sense to only offer the $6.99 plan, if so, then it makes sense for me to drop the service, I am 55 and retired, I do not want to waste time on Commercials.

I noticed the MST3K channel while scrolling through the channel list after I went to Sling to get Willow. MST3k is awesome, but not with the same ad showing up at each break. I have no idea why that bothers me so much.
I watched the 1st episode of Stargate Universe on Pluto TV last night. I just gave up because the ads were so frequent and so dang repetitive.
I can live with ads, but once I see them too many times, it gets First World annoying. And Pluto is dreadful that way. In fact, almost all "free" streaming services suffer from this.

Reactions: TheKrell and ncted
I noticed the MST3K channel while scrolling through the channel list after I went to Sling to get Willow. MST3k is awesome, but not with the same ad showing up at each break. I have no idea why that bothers me so much.

I can live with ads, but once I see them too many times, it gets First World annoying. And Pluto is dreadful that way. In fact, almost all "free" streaming services suffer from this.
My take is that they just haven't built up an ad base because they don't have the viewer numbers to lure in major advertisers. This kind of TV is trending up so maybe in time it will get better.

But if people want them free, the services have to make money somehow to stay in business and ads are how they are going to do that. I really like PlutoTV and some of the others like them......it got me through the summer when I put DISH on pause to save some money in our home budget.

Reactions: Yespage
I totally get there needs to be ads if it is free. But the repetition is killer to me. So, for MST3k, I just put a good amount of money down on their Kickstarter and got something like one-third or half their episodes, so now I can stream that at home... from my server, commercial free. Cost more.. but my sanity appreciates it.

But it is neat that this is available through Sling. I was surprised how many channels were available to just the Cricket Base package. I mean, not "a lot", but more than I expected. And then the NBA freeview.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts