Sling with my droid not working at all...

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
I have had a sling adapter for a few years but I rarely use it. Partially because it commonly has problems. But now that I have a Hopper, I want to try it out more, to see how it functions with it. Unfortunately I can not get it to work.

First problem, when I start the Dish Remote Access app it always says "this feature requires an Internet connection", it has done this since day one, and apparently I am not alone with that problem. The message may go away in a few seconds or not at all. It would be nice if Dish would fix that one of these years. My 722k and now Hopper are directly connected to a router with an Ethernet cable and always pass the tests and say they are online.

Second problem, once that first prob. message goes away, I can see all my DVR'd events, but when I select one, it say "cannot locate receiver". It obviously located it to see the DVR, but apparently it looses it when you want to watch something on it...

This is very annoying in that my boss gave me a sling adapter so I could use it to show customers how cool it is. I rarely get that chance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and I always get a Dish Slingbox error message. I learned that the first attempt to hookup wakes up my VIP722K and gives an error message and on the second hookup attempt within a minute everything works great. I love watching Dish Network at our cabin out on the porch by the stream with my tablet. Life is good.

Just keep hitting options....then my reciver. I have two receivers...I click on one...then hit options...click on the other one.I do this a few times...then they both work flawlessy. I almost wanna say...your waking them up...is almost like they are in standbye mode. I do this via Droid bionic...dish remote access. If that don't work...back outta the app...do it again. That's happened a time or two!!

Options...under more..receivers...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120530_011138.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011138.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20120530_011148.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011148.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 189
  • ForumRunner_20120530_011155.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011155.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 179
  • ForumRunner_20120530_011201.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011201.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 181
  • ForumRunner_20120530_011208.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011208.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 181
  • ForumRunner_20120530_011219.png
    ForumRunner_20120530_011219.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 187
Try using it over wifi at your home to get the basics down. Watching over 3G (cell towers) can result in a poor signal due to poor bandwidth (depending on your carrier).

I have benn using (trying to use) the remote access since it became available. I had a 922 and the original Evo 4g and some laptops. It worked relatively well, until last fall -winter, when all of the problems recounted in this thread have beset me, also.
In addition, EVERY time I try to log in, now, I get a channel listing of probably every channel in the United States, and it errors out. Then, 2-9 times of retrying, and I get the proper channel listing and usually then all is well - unless I get one of the other problems, like cant find receiver. Also, if I set a timer from my Evo 3D, about half the time it doesn't record, even tho I get no error message. In fact it tells me every time the timer is set. Great feature, wish I had time to play with it every time.

Sling Player Mobile

I also bought a Sling Adapter a while after they first became available. I have noticed that it can have issues, but I still like having it with my DISH 722k. One of my issues if I use it very much is I only have 2 GB of data through T-Mobile. It doesn't take long with video streaming to go through that and get throttled. I got to thinking that a lot of times all I want is TV audio

So, a few days ago, a bought a Slingbox Solo and when I installed it I did not connect the video composite cable. That way I can get just the TV audio and, hopefully, not go through my 2 GB of data way before the end of the billing cycle. so far it seems like the Slingbox Solo is more stable than the Sling Adapter.

Last night, while trying to stream the audio from my 722k it didn't want to connect. Then I went into Settings and selected "Use Only 2G Networks". After that the 722k audio streamed just fine. I have also read in the past that when thse of us on T-Mobile are throttled that force 2G might be faster than throttled 3G.