slingbox vs another reciever

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Why would you pay more money on a slingbox than get another box for lease for an extra 5.00?I got a 625 and whatch 2 differ things can I watch a third program?

There are many reasons. How about watching satellite TV on your cellphone or watching your satellite TV including your reorded shows anywhere that there is an internet connection.

Why would you pay more money on a slingbox than get another box for lease for an extra 5.00?I got a 625 and whatch 2 differ things can I watch a third program?

Anyone use one? I heard the initial Sling quality was sh*t. Be interested to see how it is now.

I did not see the tech chat, but from the recap here I wonder if they mentioned the Sling connection to combat this news release from TIVO;

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/11/14/tivo.video.ap/index.html

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- In its ongoing bid to be a central conduit of media, TiVo Inc. plans to broaden its digital video recording service later this year so users of its set-top boxes can download videos from the Internet and watch them from their television sets...

The last software upgrade increase the bitrate tremendously when using on your home network. It is SD TV quality when streaming over your home network around 1500k. When streaming remotely, it naturally depends on the speed of your uplink. I personally am very happy with around 356K in an approximate 4x6" window sizing.
I would imagine if you were streaming to a mobile device the quality would also be very good. May sound like a commercial, but if you haven't tried a slingbox lately, you should.

i love it, if it weren't for my sling i'd probably miss half the shows i record... now i can watch the dvr while at work (which is great)

the only thing i'm waiting for is the ability to control TV2 via IR so slingbox can use TV2 on my 622.

Quality over a LAN is acceptable, i'm waiting for the component cable so the sharpness of the source can be a bit better. Though over svideo it's fine.

I think this is what i have been needing. I want to have my wireless laptopget my DVR or sat feed on it

this does that from what i am reading but I need to read more. I have a 4 port w/ wireless DSL modem. I use every port for 3 PCs and 2 Xbox 360s.
I am not sure if it has to connect to a port but it seems it will

If that

tigershere;724015I am not sure if it has to connect to a port but it seems it will If that[/QUOTE said:
Works best connecting the slingbox to ethernet port on your DSL router. If you want remote viewing your router will have to allow port forwarding (most do), other wise you will only be able to view it on your LAN.

Before setting up your Slingbox to use outside your home network, check the terms and conditions on your internet contract.

Some internet providers have limits on how much internet traffic you can pass.

Your contract may have a limit set at specific numbers, or it may just say "excessive traffic".

If you exceed the limit, providers have various methods of dealing with you.

Some will just charge you a lot of money for the extra.

Other providers will cut you off for a variable period of time (often the rest of the day).

Some providers have a "no servers" type clause. They may consider the large amount of traffic from your Slingbox as server-type usage.

This applies at both ends of the connection.

You're probably fine, as providers are becoming more reasonable, but it pays to make sure.

I have been reading about the Sling Box and I'd like to hook it up to my 942. My question is how does it the Sling Box control the 942? With IR?

Just to be clear, the picture from Slingbox was never s**t. Even the earliest release provided quite a good picture. The upgraded software did improve the picture, and the newest boxes have a new chip that improves it even more.
It can work with most all Dish boxes, and all the functions.

http://us.slingmedia.com/object/io_1159232433920.html

The picture is almost superb on your own network, and good to almost very good remotely over the internet, dependant on the speed of your connection. You must have DSL or Cable both for sending and receiving. I also use it on my smartphone and it is amazing. For those that use Cingular, you DO NOT need the 3G network as I see many posts say. It works great over Edge.

It is true as a post above says, there have been a couple of reports of Internet providers limiting data flow but so far it is not widespread. I suppose if you used it 24 hours a day there could be a problem, but not to watch a few programs. Cingular also has something in their contract about streaming limits, but again doubtful there would be a problem to watch something for awhile, just not for hours.

Keep in mind it can also be used for other uses, such as security. I also have security cameras hooked up to it. You could hook up a radio if there is somthing you listen to that cannot be heard where you happen to be.

Last edited:
I have been reading about the Sling Box and I'd like to hook it up to my 942. My question is how does it the Sling Box control the 942? With IR?

There is a cable that comes from the slingbox that has an IR sender in it, that you stick near the IR receiver on your box. There are alot of receivers listed in the slingbox options when you set it up. I still have mine set to controll my old 522, but the settings work fine with my 622. An exact replica of a DISH remote pops up on your computer monitor to control your receiver.

Does the Sling Box Pro do any thing else I'd need over the AV model? Does it just down rez the HD to SD? The 942 already does that for me. I'm going to buy one, but I'm just trying to decide it I need to buy the Pro or will the AV model do everything I need?

Yes the pro does downrez the HD to SD. The only thing the pro does over the AV is it gives you another input (total of 4) and allows you to hookup an HD input.

Does the Sling Box Pro do any thing else I'd need over the AV model? Does it just down rez the HD to SD? The 942 already does that for me. I'm going to buy one, but I'm just trying to decide it I need to buy the Pro or will the AV model do everything I need?

Homezone Users Go Akimbo

Dish Network + XBOX 360

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)