Slingguide does not work with homeplug

Totoro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Boston
How can I disable homeplug on my ViP722?

I connected a homeplug a couple of days ago and now I cannot access my receiver through slingguide. There are two different MAC addresses, one for ethernet and one for homeplug. Every time I try to access Slingguide, it kicks me out after failing to access my receiver. I have checked the status and it is indeed online. I disconnected the ethernet thinking that it might be a conflict, but no luck. So perhaps slingguide does not work with homeplug? I can't even access my slingguide account to try and remove the receiver and re-register it.

Last edited:
I connected a homeplug a couple of days ago and now I cannot access my receiver through slingguide. There are two different MAC addresses, one for ethernet and one for homeplug. Every time I try to access Slingguide, it kicks me out after failing to access my receiver. I have checked the status and it is indeed online. I disconnected the ethernet thinking that it might be a conflict, but no luck. So perhaps slingguide does not work with homeplug? I can't even access my slingguide account to try and remove the receiver and re-register it.

I have homeplug, a 622, and I have been using SlingGuide fine for about 3 weeks now. Bummer you are having trouble.

No trouble with Sling Guide and Homeplug, either here.

OK. I checked on the receiver and now that I have blocked homeplug, it will not connect at all. It seems that if you have both ethernet and homeplug, the receiver defaults to homeplug, even if there is no connnection. Is there any way to disable homeplug (dishCOMM) on the receiver?

Slingguide and Homeplug is working fine on my 722

I am pretty sure the problem is that the homeplug connection is too slow, but I can't find a way to disable it so that I can use ethernet. The receiver always wants to use homeplug.

UPDATE: Here is a solution that worked, but hopefully someone will come up with something more permanent.

I went to broadband connection and kept hitting reset until it finally showed the MAC address for ethernet. I then logged into slingguide and voila.

Nevertheless, there should be a way to disable homeplug connection on the receiver.

I am pretty sure the problem is that the homeplug connection is too slow, but I can't find a way to disable it so that I can use ethernet. The receiver always wants to use homeplug.

UPDATE: Here is a solution that worked, but hopefully someone will come up with something more permanent.

I went to broadband connection and kept hitting reset until it finally showed the MAC address for ethernet. I then logged into slingguide and voila.

Nevertheless, there should be a way to disable homeplug connection on the receiver.

Plugging the 722 into a decent surge protector does the trick too.

I concur, if you are sending data over the power lines it tells me one thing: your equipment is not well enough protected against surges and spikes.

I concur, if you are sending data over the power lines it tells me one thing: your equipment is not well enough protected against surges and spikes.

That's interesting, because one unit is plugged into a $200 power conditioner and the other unit is plugged into a UPS / surge protector. Both get signals from the homeplug.

In fact, that might be what is causing the signal degradation on the one unit. If I were to plug it directly into the wall, I might be able to use both network connections. As it is, I only need one and the ethernet is 100 Mbps. Plenty fast for me. The challenge is to keep the homeplug from taking over.

Last edited: