Slinmline KA/KU Dish News

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can you call D* to set up your installation and request this? I'm in the NY area, so I do not need it right away, but they owe me a free install of the dish (they almost did itlast year, but it snowed that day, and I never called them back. I also have 1 TV, without HD, that has a diplexed line, so I held off)

Hey I have a question to all the techs: how many Slimlines do you install percentagewise? It seems like lately its between 50% and 2/3 of all installs and upgrades especially now before Christmas I am even surprised people are actually still getting regular dishes anymore. Everybody has at least a 15" HD TV. But personally I hate those HD installs and so does every tech I personally know.

Hey I have a question to all the techs: how many Slimlines do you install percentagewise? It seems like lately its between 50% and 2/3 of all installs and upgrades especially now before Christmas I am even surprised people are actually still getting regular dishes anymore. Everybody has at least a 15" HD TV. But personally I hate those HD installs and so does every tech I personally know.

I kept a running tally of 602 AT9/AU9 for the past year. They don't bother me at all. We are in a phase 3 market for my area so it's not a big deal.

Slimline installed

Just got a Slimline installed here in San Diego. Not too much bigger than the 3lnb it replaced. Got it for $19.95+2yr agreement just fyi.

Merry Christmas all!!

Tech here...What is it about HD installs you do not like..I have my set of concerns,

Tech here...What is it about HD installs you do not like..I have my set of concerns,

1. Dish location is usually the biggest pain in the butt very hard to mount big dish with two monopoles on a spanish tile roof. Or trailer.
2. Takes more time to put things together more drilling more aligning more cables etc
3. Cant just use existing cable unless its proper grade which is rare
4. Customer ed takes forever people dont know whats HD and if you dont spend enough time they will be calling back
5. Too many bad receivers too much time wasted on troubleshooting
6. Simple reboot takes forever

Trying to install the AT9...............get a 98 signal on the 110 and nothing on all the others....any suggestions?

Trying to install the AT9...............get a 98 signal on the 110 and nothing on all the others....any suggestions?

List your step-by-step and we can ID what, if anything you may have missed.

1. Start with a 110% plumb/level mast.

2. Set the dish to the correct skew and elevation for your LAT/LON.

3. You add your steps from here.

List your step-by-step and we can ID what, if anything you may have missed.

1. Start with a 110% plumb/level mast.

2. Set the dish to the correct skew and elevation for your LAT/LON.

3. You add your steps from here.

remember , skew and elevation is only a starting point.

1. Dish location is usually the biggest pain in the butt very hard to mount big dish with two monopoles on a spanish tile roof. Or trailer.
2. Takes more time to put things together more drilling more aligning more cables etc
3. Cant just use existing cable unless its proper grade which is rare
4. Customer ed takes forever people dont know whats HD and if you dont spend enough time they will be calling back
5. Too many bad receivers too much time wasted on troubleshooting
6. Simple reboot takes forever
That's quite a list..

here's mine
1. more time to assemble dish
2.difficulty in finding suitable placement .
3.customers concerns over placement of dish takes too much time to discuss.
4. lots more cable to run (4 runs from d-1000plus)..BTW customers hate this.
5 long drawn out demo process..custs not doing their homework...
6. avg 4- 5 hr complete install time .that's time in the driveway to time out....

I am really sick of these dopey customers not knowing what the hell they spent their money on...It's like they went out and bought a $2000 Tv and possibly a 700 to 1000 dollar home theatre system and haven't a clue of how to use any of it..
They want everything spoon fed to them. They want me to hook up their tv and satellite and set up their sound system..Bull crap..I am not touching any components except the tv and satellite...And I no longer help them with their sound systems..I don't have time. Some of these customers are demanding high maintenence ingrates that thinkk their job is the only one I have that day...

Let me say this..Most probably 95% of my customers are very nice people..Most of them are very appreciative...It's the small pct of them that spoil the whole thing...I used ot go out of my way to make the nasty ones happy..Now I just don't care..For them, thye get the standard stuff and I talk ot them as little as possible..I answer no questions not pertinent to the satellite system itself....

remember , skew and elevation is only a starting point.

Thats why instead of US listing all the steps, I asked he lists HIS steps so we could look at them. Before guessing around. Its just easier seeing everything he did first as opposed to 25 different people all throwing 2 or 3 guess out every 10 minutes and becoming one giant jumbled mess of posts.

That's quite a list..

here's mine
1. more time to assemble dish
2.difficulty in finding suitable placement .
3.customers concerns over placement of dish takes too much time to discuss.
4. lots more cable to run (4 runs from d-1000plus)..BTW customers hate this.
5 long drawn out demo process..custs not doing their homework...
6. avg 4- 5 hr complete install time .that's time in the driveway to time out....

I am really sick of these dopey customers not knowing what the hell they spent their money on...It's like they went out and bought a $2000 Tv and possibly a 700 to 1000 dollar home theatre system and haven't a clue of how to use any of it..
They want everything spoon fed to them. They want me to hook up their tv and satellite and set up their sound system..Bull crap..I am not touching any components except the tv and satellite...And I no longer help them with their sound systems..I don't have time. Some of these customers are demanding high maintenence ingrates that thinkk their job is the only one I have that day...

Let me say this..Most probably 95% of my customers are very nice people..Most of them are very appreciative...It's the small pct of them that spoil the whole thing...I used ot go out of my way to make the nasty ones happy..Now I just don't care..For them, thye get the standard stuff and I talk ot them as little as possible..I answer no questions not pertinent to the satellite system itself....

I'm glad you don't install anything for me.
Other than the sound system, everything you mentioned IS your job.
And NO, not all customers know all about the stuff they are buying.
MOST of these receiver are NOT available to play with at local stores.
Many subs buy what they are told they need, by, you guessed it, the CSR they talked to.

By the way, I have done my own installs since the day I started using D*.

Also, I work in a service oriented job as well working with the angry sub EVERYDAY as well as you.

Jimbo

Last edited:
ok, thanks...........
1) bubble centered (plum)
2) 69 tilt, 47 elevation, 208 azimuth (35957)
3) LNB Port 1&2 double checked (correct)
4) Zone 2 (checked)
5) No obstructions

I didn't remove my phrase III (just in case) so I hooked it back up, all is good with it. Meaning not the cables or ground block at fault.

Thinking maybe tilt off or something???
maybe azimuth seeing that I get a good 110
one more thing........20-700 came with 2 SUP-2400 BBC Module, do I need these?

I'm glad you don't install anything for me.
Other than the sound system, everything you mentioned IS your job.
And NO, not all customers know all about the stuff they are buying.
MOST of these receiver are available to play with at local stores.
Many subs buy what they are told they need, buy, you guessed it, the CSR they talked to.

By the way, I have done my own installs since the day I started using D*.

Also, I work in a service oriented job as well working with the angry sub EVERYDAY as well as you.

Jimbo
I have been in customer service in one form or another for 25 years...
If you saw my work and how many happy cusomers I have left smiling you may want to retract that statement..
I realize most people are "sold" on this equipment....That's comes with theterritory..My point is I don't appreciate the few that think they are entitled to the earth for free. Not only that, I am also getting tired of the few customers who think they have no responsibilties. That they aren't part of the sale..
I take care of the customers that deserve to get taken care of..Which is as previuosly stated 95% of them..The 5% can take their attitude and blow their nose with it..
You don't have to give me your resume. I am not concerned with your experience as an installer or whatver capacity you fucntion in the business..My post was not to you in the first place..
Let's just agree to disagree. Discussion terminated.

I have been in customer service in one form or another for 25 years...
If you saw my work and how many happy cusomers I have left smiling you may want to retract that statement..
I realize most people are "sold" on this equipment....That's comes with theterritory..My point is I don't appreciate the few that think they are entitled to the earth for free. Not only that, I am also getting tired of the few customers who think they have no responsibilties. That they aren't part of the sale..
I take care of the customers that deserve to get taken care of..Which is as previuosly stated 95% of them..The 5% can take their attitude and blow their nose with it..
You don't have to give me your resume. I am not concerned with your experience as an installer or whatver capacity you fucntion in the business..My post was not to you in the first place..
Let's just agree to disagree. Discussion terminated.

Now , I agree with you, you never mentioned that 95% were good in the original post, I too have problems with SOME of my subs, (btw, I don't do sat work for a living).
You gave the impression that you were pissed with most of your subs and they should know all about the equipment, before they were able to see it.

Sorry if I mis understood your post.

Jimbo

Now , I agree with you, you never mentioned that 95% were good in the original post, I too have problems with SOME of my subs, (btw, I don't do sat work for a living).
You gave the impression that you were pissed with most of your subs and they should know all about the equipment, before they were able to see it.

Sorry if I mis understood your post.

Jimbo
JImbo,
Here's what I wrote in the previous post you originally responded to..
"Let me say this..Most probably 95% of my customers are very nice people..Most of them are very appreciative...It's the small pct of them that spoil the whole thing...I used ot go out of my way to make the nasty ones happy..Now I just don't care..For them, thye get the standard stuff and I talk ot them as little as possible..I answer no questions not pertinent to the satellite system itself...."
Are we cool now?....

JImbo,
Here's what I wrote in the previous post you originally responded to..
"Let me say this..Most probably 95% of my customers are very nice people..Most of them are very appreciative...It's the small pct of them that spoil the whole thing...I used ot go out of my way to make the nasty ones happy..Now I just don't care..For them, thye get the standard stuff and I talk ot them as little as possible..I answer no questions not pertinent to the satellite system itself...."
Are we cool now?....

Ya, I found it, I just didn't look far enough up on the earlier posts, I saw the more recient post and I probably skimmed over it.

Sorry,:hatsoff:
Jimbo

ok, thanks...........
1) bubble centered (plum)
2) 69 tilt, 47 elevation, 208 azimuth (35957)
3) LNB Port 1&2 double checked (correct)
4) Zone 2 (checked)
5) No obstructions

I didn't remove my phrase III (just in case) so I hooked it back up, all is good with it. Meaning not the cables or ground block at fault.

Thinking maybe tilt off or something???
maybe azimuth seeing that I get a good 110
one more thing........20-700 came with 2 SUP-2400 BBC Module, do I need these?

i got an AT9 dish and installed it myself.... i had everything aligned correctly and all i could get was 101 and 119... i could not get 110.... when the techs came out to bring my new HD DVR they looked at it and it was found that the LNB was bad... they installed the new Slimline dish and all worked properly i got 101, 110, 119, and 103 (95 on transponder 1, but not the rest) 99 is not working yet.... i recently installed the world direct dish and connected the 95W cable into the 6x8 multiswitch in flexport 1 (which im using for the slimline dish) and am getting a signal of 96.... all is working fine....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts