Sloppy Install w/ Pics, Need Advice

JPO3

Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Greenville SC
I had my roof replaced last week and scheduled for the dish to be remounted and pointed (what I thought to be an easy task). When the tech arrived he insisted on making a new dish and running a new cable, even though the dish and cable was run about a year ago and had no previous issues prior to the new roof. The cable runs through the attic all the way to the opposite side of the house. The tech ended up stepping through the ceiling leaving a massive hole for which I have to find a contractor to appraise and submit estimates for approval to Dish. After realizing he did not want to go through the attic he decided to run it in the gutter and run down the downspout and around the house. Below are some pictures of the work that just seems sloppy to me, he also just left the old cable hanging, scrap cable at the lower porch area, did not cut the tales of the zip ties, and didn't keep the cable tight in the corners. So my question is, am I being too OCD or should I do something about this and if so what? This is separate from the hole in the ceiling, that I know I have to do something about. I've been a Dish customer for almost 10 years and usually speak highly of them.
Hole in ceiling:
IMG_5016.jpg

Cable pulled tight from dish:

IMG_5021.jpg

Unsightly cable along downspout, zip-ties not trimmed
IMG_5020.jpg

cable not cleanly run with other cables:
IMG_5019.jpg

Old cable left hanging:
IMG_5024.jpg

Scrap cable left after tech was gone:
IMG_5025.PNG

Oh Man! How does that person sleep at night?!?

Sorry for the mess they made. I would definitely get them to do it over with a different 'tech'.

Another reason why people should always contact their local retailer if they have a good one. :)

I would kill him. You have a bona fide damage claim and where I work, a manager comes out to asses it and if approved, the company would pay your contractor but that cable needs to be run correctly. He didn't even put a service loop at the dish so the cable has to be cut just to get the LNBF off.. smh. I despise installers that do this. Not technicians, installers

That job reminds me of some of the garbage we had to clean up many years ago as a Southern Bell contractor. During a 2 month CWA strike the company sent out office staff with little notebooks and minimal tools to do residential installs and repairs. As I recall, about 70% of the work had be redone. My company normally did major residential and business new construction pre-wires, but we sure got a lot of overtime for a month or so doing residential reworks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
yeah, thats bad. did you sign off on it? no way i would have until it was fixed
I was not home at the time, and I doubt my wife went out back to look at this stuff as she was already pretty frustrated with the kid and wanted him out of there (it was 5:00 on Friday by that point).

I was not home at the time, and I doubt my wife went out back to look at this stuff as she was already pretty frustrated with the kid and wanted him out of there (it was 5:00 on Friday by that point).

failure to check is not an excuse, but do try and have them come back out

Hindsight is 20/20 regarding what should have been done or not done. People have to work and can't always be there. Besides satellite installation isn't rocket science and who would have guessed they'd come home to such an abysmal job for something pretty straight forward.

Hopefully dish makes this right and sends someone different to take care of this.

DONT SIGN ANYTHING! I had posted this in another thread awhile back. We moved to texas from Michigan and had a nightmare installer. He wanted to install the dish in a cement bucket even though my home is a one story ranch. Then couldn't figure out how to run a cable into the house. He wanted to run it thru my garage along the wall. Told me I would have to choose between dish and the internet unless I moved my modem then he could hook up dish and I could have the cable company come back out to figure out the internet. Suggested popping a hole in my living room ceiling and letting the cable drop down to the tv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: JPO3
DONT SIGN ANYTHING! I had posted this in another thread awhile back. We moved to texas from Michigan and had a nightmare installer. He wanted to install the dish in a cement bucket even though my home is a one story ranch. Then couldn't figure out how to run a cable into the house. He wanted to run it thru my garage along the wall. Told me I would have to choose between dish and the internet unless I moved my modem then he could hook up dish and I could have the cable company come back out to figure out the internet. Suggested popping a hole in my living room ceiling and letting the cable drop down to the tv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
:wtf2

I had my roof replaced last week and scheduled for the dish to be remounted and pointed (what I thought to be an easy task). When the tech arrived he insisted on making a new dish and running a new cable, even though the dish and cable was run about a year ago and had no previous issues prior to the new roof. The cable runs through the attic all the way to the opposite side of the house. The tech ended up stepping through the ceiling leaving a massive hole for which I have to find a contractor to appraise and submit estimates for approval to Dish. After realizing he did not want to go through the attic he decided to run it in the gutter and run down the downspout and around the house. Below are some pictures of the work that just seems sloppy to me, he also just left the old cable hanging, scrap cable at the lower porch area, did not cut the tales of the zip ties, and didn't keep the cable tight in the corners. So my question is, am I being too OCD or should I do something about this and if so what? This is separate from the hole in the ceiling, that I know I have to do something about. I've been a Dish customer for almost 10 years and usually speak highly of them.
Hole in ceiling:
View attachment 141593

Cable pulled tight from dish:

View attachment 141594

Unsightly cable along downspout, zip-ties not trimmed
View attachment 141595
cable not cleanly run with other cables:
View attachment 141596
Old cable left hanging:
View attachment 141597
Scrap cable left after tech was gone:
View attachment 141598

Hello JPO3. This is not the experience we would wish for you to have. Certainly give us a call to get your installation corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts