Smartcard "married" to a Receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

roadrhino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Every so often I've seen mention of a smart card being "married" to a receiver. What does that mean?

Redrhino

This is the wrong place to get into these discussions Rhino...More than likely, this site is owned by Dish. Google will lead you to other sites if you ask it the right questions. I'd post some links here for you, but then they would 86 me too!

Information and knowledge never hurt anyone, and it's not illegal to seek it...

Fuelrod said:
This is the wrong place to get into these discussions Rhino...More than likely, this site is owned by Dish. Google will lead you to other sites if you ask it the right questions. I'd post some links here for you, but then they would 86 me too!

Information and knowledge never hurt anyone, and it's not illegal to seek it...

um, fuelrod...guess again. He's asking a simple question that isnt illegal. Also, this site is not owned by Dish (why would they have Direct & Voom on a Dish site). It's owned by someone who enjoys satellite and wants to help out other people.

rhino...the card being "married" to the receiver means they'll work together and won't work with other receivers. If I take the card out of my 508 and put it into my 5000, it won't work. On the system info screen, there is a R# (receiver #) and S# (smart card number). Dish has record of all R & S #'s (I think) and if the S# on the screen doesnt match the one on the card, it won't work. If, lets say, one of my receivers dies and I have another one that doesnt have a card in it (for some starnge reason or another), I can have Dish be the minister and "marry" them so my system has the correct info.

Thanks for the info ...

However, this is two times in two days that I appear to have asked questions that are close to the edge, as it were.

As I have pretty much no idea of what would be involved in hacking a system, but looking thru ebay (because I hope to sell two receivers there) I am getting an idea of some of the technical terms that are used there to describe receivers.

If someone here could perhaps provide a list of terms that would be considered perhaps a bit over the line, I would be sure to avoid asking about such things here. Quite frankly, I would rather ask here that use a google search because the replies are far more valuable than what google returns ... I guess humans are still better than google at something!

To raise another issue, it would seem that discussions of hacking here are forbidden. I understand (and completely agree with) that decision. On the other hand, discussions of "moving" to obtain programming options that are more to one's liking are not forbidden. Perhaps this is not a double-standard, but it sort of feels a bit like one.

Thanks a lot!

Redrhino

ps - I am truly enjoying having a 2nd dish pointed at 148 so that I can receive additonal programming thanks to you people!

roadrhino said:
To raise another issue, it would seem that discussions of hacking here are forbidden. I understand (and completely agree with) that decision. On the other hand, discussions of "moving" to obtain programming options that are more to one's liking are not forbidden. Perhaps this is not a double-standard, but it sort of feels a bit like one.

2 totally different things..one is legal, one isn't
"moving" (which people do to allow them access to get distants or locals that normally aren't available) is not technically illegal. We are still paying Dish for the service (and as long as Dish is getting money, they're happy). Why do people "move"?
-Access to the national feeds. Great for timeshifting (although, with a PVR, this is not really a big reason anymore)
-You live in an area not covered by Dish (and probably wont for a while because your DMA may only have 1 or 2 channels). Example would be Mankato, MN (75 miles SW of Minneapolis). Their DMA is 1 channel (CBS). One county north (like, less than 5 miles way is in the Mpls DMA) Cable carries all the Mpls stations & CBS Mankato. Dish customers can't get any locals right now. But if they "move", they can get Mpls locals
-Your local pre-empts programming for a 1-AA college game or Billy Graham.
-You recently moved but want to keep tabs on your old area (as I did...Use to live in Duluth, now in Mpls. Dish has Duluth address) :)

we all know the illegalities of the other..

Some people just see the glass half empty. re:fuelrod

But on the subject. I often wondered if I have AEP(Almost Everything Package) and I want to go to a friends house for the evening and enjoy company while watching their 9 foot projection system, if I could slip my card in their same model receiver and share while I was there if they only had AT60.

I'm paying $100.00+ a month so E* is getting theirs.

Mark_AR said:
Some people just see the glass half empty. re:fuelrod

But on the subject. I often wondered if I have AEP(Almost Everything Package) and I want to go to a friends house for the evening and enjoy company while watching their 9 foot projection system, if I could slip my card in their same model receiver and share while I was there if they only had AT60.

I'm paying $100.00+ a month so E* is getting theirs.

Nope. Tried that with a couple 301's (my dad has AT180 + HBO..I have locals)
Won't work. What the S# on the screen says doesnt match the S# on the card.

They match it as a way of fighting piracy... It keeps someone from making a million copies of the same card and keeping one card subscribed to all the programming.

roadrhino said:
Every so often I've seen mention of a smart card being "married" to a receiver. What does that mean?

Well, when a reciever and a smart card fall in love, they want to make it official and start a family, so they go to Colorado, where Charlie presides over the ceremony to make it official.

This is why smart cards who break their vows to their reciever are so frowned upon by Dish Network.

Iceberg said:
Nope. Tried that with a couple 301's (my dad has AT180 + HBO..I have locals)
Won't work. What the S# on the screen says doesnt match the S# on the card.

OK, Kewl. That answers that. I'll just take my whole 921 with me when I go.

Plus I can record content at home and then play it back over there without having to hook up the satellite feeds. :D

bcshields said:
Well, when a reciever and a smart card fall in love, they want to make it official and start a family, so they go to Colorado, where Charlie presides over the ceremony to make it official.

This is why smart cards who break their vows to their reciever are so frowned upon by Dish Network.

And I thought Massachusetts had weird laws.

Iceberg said:
2 totally different things..one is legal, one isn't
"moving" (which people do to allow them access to get distants or locals that normally aren't available) is not technically illegal. We are still paying Dish for the service (and as long as Dish is getting money, they're happy).

There are very legitimate reasons to want to "move". However, just because the provider of signal is being paid, doesn't mean that it is legal. I would guess that it may not have been strictly forbidden by the law passed by congress but that the way the FCC has interpreted the intent of the law is to forbid the falsification of physical addresses so that individuals don't get signals from markets where they don't live.

But, because I don't know this for sure and because as far as I know, "moving" might be illegal ...

Redrhino

roadrhino said:

Redrhino

It makes a mockery of traditional marriage and our American way of life. What's next? Driver's Licenses married to specific drivers? Deeds married to specific homes? Will it never end?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)