Snow on my dish 1000.4

FAiello

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I can't go through another winter of loosing signal every time it snows. We had about 1/2" in the Boston area last night and dish was barely covered and I lost signal. What can I do to fix this problem?

Do like I did. Go to a home improvement store or auto parts store and buy a magnetic heater. Stick it on the back and plug it in. I just plug it in when there is snow in the forecast.

Butch

Last year I converted to the Eastern Arc. The Eastern Arc dish points closer to straight up, depending where you are located than does the Eastern Arc. Because of this the dish collects more snow and ice.

My solution was to get a dish heater, the stick-on type...which I have used before on the normal and dish 500 equipment (they work nicely). The model I ordered has a low voltage transformer, 100' of wire and is thermostaticatically controlled so that it only draws current when the temp. is below freezing. One guy on ebay is selling them for about $90 including shipping. I just ordered one and will install it within the week. If you are interested do a search for "dish heater" and you will see your choices.

Here in southern Wisconsin -- we had like 80 in total last year -- I've had good luck wiping RainX winshield treatment thoroughly on the dish surface before the season starts. I've peaked 'er and marginal snows, even wet ones, have no effect. The dry stuff just blows off. Rarely do I have an outage.

This year I have used King's Rain Shield (Satellite Dish Rain Fade Solution) spray. Will see if it helps with the snow. But if not, my dishes are mounted off my deck, so it is easy to reach them with a broom to brush off the snow.

Do like I did. Go to a home improvement store or auto parts store and buy a magnetic heater. Stick it on the back and plug it in. I just plug it in when there is snow in the forecast.

Butch

I'd like to know more about your "magnetic heater". :confused: Never heard of them. Where did you purchase yours, about how much, etc. Thanks!
Since I now have an EA dish that's roof-mounted as opposed to having WA on a pole in the backyard I could brush off if needed, I'm seriously thinking of a heater. Anyone use the Zapper2 from Skyvision?? $69 + shipping. I don't need it to be on a thermostat. I could easily plug/un-plug it as needed. The "Supersoaker" idea intriques me but I'd worry it might CAUSE ice after the snow melts off. Maybe fill it with windshield washer solvent.......
Appreciate any other suggestions that folks have successfully used. Sweeping off the snow from the ground or climbing on to the roof will NOT be an option. We've had record snows, a lot of it heavy wet stuff the past 2 years that did require me trudging out to my pole mounted dish to restore signal.

Ed

We had about 1/2" in the Boston area last night and dish was barely covered and I lost signal. What can I do to fix this problem?
Sunday's slop was not your average snow. It won't always be that bad. As several have pointed out, repellent treatments would have helped.

Ok I coated the dish with Rain-X, lets see what happens next time it snows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)