Snow On The Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mickey8648

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
A strange occurrence in Fort Worth, TX; SNOW. I can see a slight, patchy covering of snow on my dish, and at first I lost HD and about 90 minutes later SD went away. The dish is probably less than 50% covered. I can't get at the dish and the temps here will keep the snow from melting for at least 18-24 hours. How do you guys up North get along in the winter if just a little snow covering knocks out programming?

It's below freezing out there. The hoses are all tucked away in the garage, and I'm an old geezer who doesn't play with super soakers.;) Good ideas, just not practical today. I am getting OTA HD on the locals though. Thanks for the replies.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

bought the ice zapper 2 that I heard some good things about here and installed on the dish, just a heater that goes on the back to melt snow. Have it hooked up to an outdoor outlet that has an inside switch so i can just turn it on when it snows. I am sure that since I just bought it we will get no more snow this season here, lol, but others here have said it works great keeping the dish clear, just do a search for it in the forums.

Water Balloon

It's below freezing out there. The hoses are all tucked away in the garage, and I'm an old geezer who doesn't play with super soakers.;) Good ideas, just not practical today. I am getting OTA HD on the locals though. Thanks for the replies.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Do you have any balloons? You might try a water balloon. Just tossing out the idea (yes the pun was intended). :D But maybe a water balloon would knock off enuff until the thaw.

I have a feeling its the LNB that has the snow on it, not the actual dish

Living in Minnesota we get snow all the time. We just got done with a snowstorm last Wednesday-Saturday that dumped around 17 inches of snow. If the LNB has snow on it that is more of a signal killer than on the dish. My one dish had about 4 inches on it and didnt lose reception.

Even though it will be below freezing the sun will melt the snow...believe me. Had snow melt off the dish at 8 above ;)

Really Ice

I have a feeling its the LNB that has the snow on it, not the actual dish

Living in Minnesota we get snow all the time. We just got done with a snowstorm last Wednesday-Saturday that dumped around 17 inches of snow. If the LNB has snow on it that is more of a signal killer than on the dish. My one dish had about 4 inches on it and didnt lose reception.

Even though it will be below freezing the sun will melt the snow...believe me. Had snow melt off the dish at 8 above ;)

The storm he is talking about went thru here 1st & I have a feeling that his problem is really ice. It is freezing up on the LNB houseing before it started snowing.

possibly...we had mainly snow until Friday when some rain mixed in and it thawed

now it all froze and we have skating rinks on the side roads/driveways

Yeah, a little snow on the dish isn't usually the problem. Ice on the LNB is a problem, but the real problem that I face here in Kansas City is thick cloud cover. Mickey, I'd try the water baloon, but you may also need to have your dish peaked when the snow clears again.

Heavy Weather

It also looks like on the Radar that you still have a lot heavy rain between your area and the sats. After this storm moves thru I would check to see if you have good signal levels. I wondering if maybe there are some installs that weren't completely peaked up?

I have ice zapper 2 for the dish works well. But as Iceberg mentioned if snow on LNB your out of luck. Fortunatly the surfice is small and slippery and snow melts or blows off easily. I only use Ice Zapper with sticky snow and temperature near or above freezing.

A strange occurrence in Fort Worth, TX; SNOW. I can see a slight, patchy covering of snow on my dish, and at first I lost HD and about 90 minutes later SD went away. The dish is probably less than 50% covered. I can't get at the dish and the temps here will keep the snow from melting for at least 18-24 hours. How do you guys up North get along in the winter if just a little snow covering knocks out programming?

Didn'ty loose any stations do to the 22" storm the Northeast part of the counrty had. Basically it has to be wet snow that kills the snow. If it's dry and powdery I don't loose signal. If I do loose it I have to wait for it to melt in that my dishes are on the roof. Rarely loose it as I just said.

Ron

The sun came out, the signal came down, and all is well with the world. I asked my wife for a super soaker. She threw a bucket of water on me...Go figure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)