SNOWING here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
up at 6am, back at 6:45, by 7am I was out broomin off the dish. Snowing pretty good here in CNY

up at 6am, back at 6:45, by 7am I was out broomin off the dish. Snowing pretty good here in CNY

Broomin' dishes is one of my favorite chores. I do it before shoveling the driveway or raking snow off the roof, I mean, you have to have your priorities straight. A ten foot dish is an ideal size to broom. Broomin' them little Ku dishes reminds me more of swatting gnats by comparison.

We were lucky here yesterday and last night. Didn't receive as much snow as predicted (well, we did - but there was so much wind that I think it blew it all down south to Oklahoma!). Thanks OSU for cleaning my driveway here in Nebraska! LOL :)

Yep, it was pretty windy and cold here. It looked and felt ferrocious, but so far it turned out to be a little dog with a loud bark.

RADAR

Darn it, and here I said Okies would never do anything for a cornhusker.:D

The 40mph winds aren't helping here. I have 3ft drifts in my driveway and 4 to 5ft drifts in the backyard. I won't be leaving home this week. Time to toss a log on the fire and break out some movies.:popcorn We have 17 inches a few miles north of Tulsa and we have officially broken a record that stood since 1920 for most snowfall in a single day at 13.2in so far in Tulsa.

We have 17 inches a few miles north of Tulsa and we have officially broken a record that stood since 1920 for most snowfall in a single day at 13.2in so far in Tulsa.

Me thinks there'll be a buncha records broke with this storm but that might be the oldest one we'll see broken.

No idea what we have gotten in the Wichita Kansas area but more than I have seen in long time. company told us not to come in today or tomorrow.

It is the wind that is killing me here at my home. Down in the valley and towards town, there is more cover (trees and buildings and hills) to break the wind. In town, the wind speed is 15-25 with gusts to 30-40. Up here on my hill the wind is a constant 35 mph and if there are gusts, I cannot tell. It all seems the same when you are out in it.

My drive is roughly 1/8 of a mile from the house to the county road. I can drive through the snow drifts with some effort, but by the time I get to the end and turn around to retrack it, my tracks are already gone. That fast! I don't think it is snowing from the sky very much, it is all the snow that is already on the ground that is being blown across the fields. I got stuck twice in my drive and when I am able to get going and get my speed up, I cannot see at all. The snow is so dry that it is all powder and just flies up and sticks to my windows. It is 2-3 pm here and I cannot see more than half the way to the road from the house, so that is 1/16th of a mile visibility in the middle of the day. I made it down the road and it is fine. Covered with ice, but no snow buildup except some very hard and narrow ridges about 12 inches deep. I can blast through these easily with my Caddy. Tires are good, not very old, got good tread, but the car sits too low for any snow that is deep.

Last winter was much worse for me, but this winter isn't being very helpful. Since I am already getting stuck and the storm is not over and the wind keeps blowing... I just said screw it and decided to take this day off from work. Last year, I had to walk 1.3 miles home one night in the middle of the same kinda crap. Walking north, uphill, in the dark, in the middle of a blizzard, without my good cap, I don't feel like doing that again! Froze my ears! Once the highway was cleared, I had my vehicle towed to the nearest village so that the plows wouldn't bury it on the side of the road. So, to get back to it, I had to walk 3.4 miles in the same crap. Fortunately, it was downhill and in daylight and I had my good winter dress on.

I thought last winter was just a fluke. If this is going to be a trend, I am going to have to make some better preparations. Install snow fences, get my 4WD truck fixed and running and a plow.

Global warming my "butt"! LOL! How about "mini-ice age"? Well, I don't know. I have seen worse winter storms and blizzards than this. I am just getting older and don't have the energy to go out and play in it like I used to. But, this is a little different... These storms are HUGE. They are not just one little microcosm or local area, these storms are covering vast areas and it isn't just the US, it is Europe, too.

All I can say is "Yuck"!

Ha Ha

RADAR

Only got about an inch of snow the other day but now we're in the deep freeze. It was -15 when I went to work this morning with a wind chill of -38. Only got to 1 above today. Forecast is for -10 tonight and only 10 above tomorrow. I hope the furnace doesn't break!

Looks like the BIG snow is NOT going to nail us at the lakeshore. It seems to be drifting more to the east, on radar. We've gotten about 4" in the last 4 hours and a LOT of wind, but I'll be surprised if we have the 16" predicted by morning. Maybe the big lake is deflecting the pattern somehow. GOOD BIG LAKE !! :)
I've parked my 6 footer all the way east, hoping it won't fill up.

Well here in Albuquerque, it's now at 10*F and got about 3 inch of snow!!!:eek:

It's going down to - 3*F by sunrise and we are going to get second wave of snow storm tonight.

May get a snow day off tomorow....:)

predicted low for tonite: ~-25, 36 hours later, predicted ~+25, Can hardly wait! Luckily, no heavy snow since the News Years Day blizzard, just windy with a regular dusting of the white stuff.

Looks like the BIG snow is NOT going to nail us at the lakeshore. It seems to be drifting more to the east, on radar. We've gotten about 4" in the last 4 hours and a LOT of wind, but I'll be surprised if we have the 16" predicted by morning. Maybe the big lake is deflecting the pattern somehow. GOOD BIG LAKE !! :)
I've parked my 6 footer all the way east, hoping it won't fill up.

Well, looks like we got about 16" , but I suspect people to the east got hit worse than we did. I'm guessing another 4" or so by noon, and then it should be over.
Punxatawny Phil predicts an early spring ...... :)

Well the snow is done and the wind is not as bad as it has been over night but I got some real nice 4-5 foot drifts that later today I will have to remove. And now at least I can get the History and Fox channels on AMC4 back as the wind yesterday was knocking my 7.5 dish around and the dual KU setup just couldn't keep a lock on that satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts