So Frustrated With 921/L212 and "Advanced Tech"

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
The problems with the 921 continue unabated and are now worse. After taking the latest software, the 921 timers do not work. When the timer fires, an error message comes up stating something like--channel blacked out, unauthorized, or gone."

Further, on the OTA channels, if the 921 cannot lock on to a channel, then the channel numbers got confused. By way of example, tonight I wanted to watch the CBS evening news, which in Cleveland, is on channel 19-01. Because of the weather tonight, the signal is weak and the receiver cannot lock on. So I switch to channel 3-01, which is NBC. The 921 info banner thinks its still on 19-01. So, Brian Williams and the NBC news is on the screen, and the banner reads 19-01 CBS news.

I made the futile effort of calling Dish and speaking to an "Advanced Tech," who promptly told me no one else is having any problems with the 921, and I must have done something to the box to make it act this way. I politely recommended that she go to Satelliteguys or DBSTalk to see the hundreds of complaints and bugs about the 921. She responded that "boards mean nothing to her," and that the "people who use them are misreporting because they don't know how to use the 921 properly."

If I didn't have so much money invested in the 921, Dish would be gone tomorrow.

Blaming customers for software errors, and insulting those who post here are hardly good ways to make a customer feel good.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to blow off steam.

kind of funny they said the most knowledgable people here at satellite guys don't know what they are doing. smart move dish.

faulty timers

I am also experiencing the same problem with the timers after L212, I will try the well known reboot, I would rather go too bed than wait for the reboot, I will try again tomorrow.

My 921 (L212) is only recording about 60% of the timers, so I am backing up all my timers on my 721.

Your not alone

I've been experiencing the same problem. Unplugging the unit and letting it reboot has always worked for me.
When scheduled events don't record, and you get that "Blacked out message"
You can be sure the programs that you have on the timers, won't record. Unless you reboot it, no further timers will be recognized.
But don't worry, our units will soon need to be replaced for the new and "improved" recorders and we can all get into another line lasting 2 years to get another unit with bugs.

JAL said:
The problems with the 921 continue unabated and are now worse. After taking the latest software, the 921 timers do not work. When the timer fires, an error message comes up stating something like--channel blacked out, unauthorized, or gone."

yeah, there are definately other units that have that same issue. It seems to be mostly on local channels though, if you noticed, was it on a cbs/abc/nbc/fox network that it did that? No perminate fix for it..or temporary really, other than pressing select at that screen. Whenever you have an issue like that, ask the CSR to atleast submit a report to the engineering dept.. its called an 'UnCommon Trend'(UCT) report. Basically they should get all the info off the receiver and send it it.. honestly dont know how much good it does, but it's one of those things the ATR agent can't really control or fix, because its not really supposed to display that message on those channels. Its a message thats supposed to be for sports that are blacked out, but for some reason, it appears for network programming... Maybe if enough info comes in on what channels are actually doing this, dish engineers(or atr agents) will be able to see a pattern, and fix it or atleast find the cause

and some units had this issue with L211 also, its not something new to L212 btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)