So how long will the "digital white area "(HD) take for us w/o OTA HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vermonter

Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Satellite enthusiasts; I've read everything out there (here and all the other forums) and my bottom line question is how long before Directv will offer the distant HD network feeds? I've no OTA nor hope therein for 2 more years; cable (Adelphia) has one feed and just went up 5% again, and I am now can get official Directv locals (meaning no distants for un un-grandfathered types).

It really comes down to "moving" to get the HD's and the haassle therein or staying put and waiting...and it depends on how long it will take.

I've read a year; I hoped 60 days or less.

Thanks!

Vermonter said:
my bottom line question is how long before Directv will offer the distant HD network feeds

I am wondering exactly what you mean? But, I have DNS HD from FOX, CBS and NBC via D* because they ARE offered. What is your zip?

Per the new legislation passed in congress recently folks who's local stations do not broadcast OTA HD will be labelled a "digital white area". As a result D and E will be allowed to send these folks the national HD feeds for the broadcasters they cannot receive (CBS/NBC/Fox and hopefully ABC).

The question is when this will happen. I've seen 60 days to 1 year....

I live in northern VT and our OTA is 2 years out due to environmental permitting and weather issues (limiting the build season on top of the mountain where they'll build the transmitters).

It depends how long it takes for the FCC to define where the white areas are. This is the gov't we're talking about so no one has any idea how long it will take, that's why you are hearing 60 days to a year.

Hey Vermonter - I'm a fellow Vermonter (Williston) fed up with the HD network situation here too.

I'm currently a Dish and Adelphia subscriber. I actually think Adelphia has done a good job with HD here, but our network affiliates are a trainwreck obviously for various reasons.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a DirecTV HD receiver and their cheapest programming package where I could get networks in HD. We're definititely in a digital white area by any definition, but I'm sure it will take forever for the rules to solidify on that.

Right now, I'm planning on needing to buy equipment from a dealer unsubsidized, subscribing to locals, then "moving" to a real white area until the digital white area rules are hashed out. Probably will be quite expensive.

Does this mean when I get my D* hooked up tomorrow I won't be able to get Fox HD? I live in an area where I can't get Fox at all OTA, analog nor digital.

J45p3r said:
Does this mean when I get my D* hooked up tomorrow I won't be able to get Fox HD? I live in an area where I can't get Fox at all OTA, analog nor digital.

There are two ways to receive FOX HDTV programming:

1. FOX HDTV programming may be available in select markets to some DIRECTV customers who have HD equipment and a TOTAL CHOICE® with Local Channels programming package, or the DIRECTV HD Package. It's available for eligible customers who reside in the following markets: New York, NY, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Dallas, TX, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, MN, Detroit, MI, Atlanta, GA, Houston, TX, Tampa Bay, FL, Orlando, FL, Cleveland, OH, Phoenix, AZ, Denver, CO, St. Louis, MO, Milwaukee, WI, Kansas City, MO, Salt Lake City, UT, Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, Greensboro, NC, Austin, TX, and Ocala, FL. Based on your geographic location, you will receive FOX HDTV programming from WNYW (New York) or KTTV (Los Angeles).

Please note that if you cannot see a picture on channel 88 or 89, and you live in one of the above markets, you may need to obtain a waiver from one or more non-local FOX affiliates. This can take up to 45 days to process.

2. Customers eligible for Distant Network Services who have HD equipment will receive FOX HDTV as part of their DNS subscription.
Find out if you qualify.

The second part only applies if you have DNS service in an area with no LIL service or if had DNS set up before the new law was signed.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html

dgordo said:
There are two ways to receive FOX HDTV programming:

1. FOX HDTV programming may be available in select markets to some DIRECTV customers who have HD equipment and a TOTAL CHOICE® with Local Channels programming package, or the DIRECTV HD Package. It's available for eligible customers who reside in the following markets: New York, NY, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Dallas, TX, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, MN, Detroit, MI, Atlanta, GA, Houston, TX, Tampa Bay, FL, Orlando, FL, Cleveland, OH, Phoenix, AZ, Denver, CO, St. Louis, MO, Milwaukee, WI, Kansas City, MO, Salt Lake City, UT, Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, Greensboro, NC, Austin, TX, and Ocala, FL. Based on your geographic location, you will receive FOX HDTV programming from WNYW (New York) or KTTV (Los Angeles).

Please note that if you cannot see a picture on channel 88 or 89, and you live in one of the above markets, you may need to obtain a waiver from one or more non-local FOX affiliates. This can take up to 45 days to process.

2. Customers eligible for Distant Network Services who have HD equipment will receive FOX HDTV as part of their DNS subscription.
Find out if you qualify.

The second part only applies if you have DNS service in an area with no LIL service or if had DNS set up before the new law was signed.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html

Good deal, sounds like I qualify under number 2.

In Vermont there are a few locations that are able to get distant nets including HD, mostly down south...I got the locals to dump adelphia as I have had a poor experience. I surfed by the local big boxes for a few months looking for a HD receiver; I found a Sony HD300 that I negotiated down to $200 and then used the renowned Directv discount (customer retention dept) and got $100 plus HD/HBO/Showtime for 6 months free. So the net cost was really quite good.

Vermonter said:
Satellite enthusiasts; I've read everything out there (here and all the other forums) and my bottom line question is how long before Directv will offer the distant HD network feeds? I've no OTA nor hope therein for 2 more years; cable (Adelphia) has one feed and just went up 5% again, and I am now can get official Directv locals (meaning no distants for un un-grandfathered types).

It really comes down to "moving" to get the HD's and the haassle therein or staying put and waiting...and it depends on how long it will take.

I've read a year; I hoped 60 days or less.

Thanks!
Would someone please pm me the code which makes the sponsored link thing popup when you hover above the green underlined text. I would like to incorporate it into my site. It would be most appreciated if possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.