So I just ordered 4 rooms and realized I'll only have 2 TVs there. HAVE AT IT!

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
:hungry:

I felt that editing this to have a cleaner post was a good idea:

Yeah, I ordered an install for a 625 and a 322. I do need both, but there's only going to be 2 TVs on location at the time.

Do you think a big tip helps? Any suggestions? I can explain the situation but that would probably drive them away faster, in fear of a chargeback, and I have no intentions of letting a chargeback occur in the first place. Feel free to hate on me if you wish, but I'm on the potential installer's side and want to make the job easy for them without making a big mess for myself.

Ideally, I'd do single mode for the first TV, but how can I do a 322 on the 2nd one?

If all else, I can always just buy/borrow an extra TV (I have a friend that would probably be happy to do that!).

Last edited:
I know a lot of installers would shy away from such a thing. Definitely not the most ideal of situations. Key thing here...be certain to have the 2 televisions in the rooms that will have receivers (one for the 322 and the other for the 625). I'm more willing to risk things if I at least have a working television in the room that is going to be TV1.

And yes, a tip would be nice. If nothing else, just in case the installer wants to tote around one of the televisions to the TV2 locations. :)

They will be in different rooms, served by different outlets (each with their own home run), although on the same side of the house (gotta love them open floor plans!)

One of the TVs is just a computer with a video capture box plugged in. Since most of the installers don't want to really talk to you it's not going to be easy to convince this one that I just want the 322 active and ready for use. After all, I could then turn around and say hey he didn't hook it up! LOL.

Post-install? If I decided suddenly to have both receivers output to 4 different TVs I'd diplex the tv2 signals back to the center of the home runs, and split them off there and send them where they need to go. The only part about that which sucks is all of the wires are bare and need connectors.

I suppose that's where a nice tip comes in :) Hell, I'm a smart guy, he shouldn't be too worried.

If there's any installers in the southern Vegas area willing to do this this weekend or late next week, let me know!

I only had 3 TV's when I had 4 rooms setup (522 DVR & 322). The installer just asked me where I wanted the other line run to and left me extra cable at that location so I could wire it later. He said that I would have to be responsible if there was a problem with that run after he left ... I said no problem !!!

I only had 3 TV's when I had 4 rooms setup (522 DVR & 322). The installer just asked me where I wanted the other line run to and left me extra cable at that location so I could wire it later. He said that I would have to be responsible if there was a problem with that run after he left ... I said no problem !!!

yep..I had 3 TVs too and setup for 4 rooms. Installer did not have any problems or concerns. He just did everything so I could hook it up later myself.

AS an installer of 10 yrs, I wouldn't worry much. As long as the home is pre-wired, it's a no-brainer and wouldn' slow me down a bit...if anything, it would put a smile on my face (two less remotes to program!). If you already had your computer ready, I'd gladly test that as well. Any decent tech will diplex it for you so you're all set and ready to go. Alas, I am on the other side of the country. It's great you can do it yourself and you're willing to work with him, but don't let him off the hook for things he's supposed to do. If I walked away from jobs where cust doesn't have all the TV's (especially those moving), I'd lose 15-20% of my business! Just my thoughts!

Depends if its inhouse or sub/retailer, inhouse are told not to install if there arent the proper amount of tv's in the house to make sure the system works properly and even now you may have the same situation with subs / retailer installers not wanting to get charged back for a service call because a tv2 line isnt working right.

Most definitely DNS, I don't know any retailers in the area and none have been mentioned around here.

It's kinda funny there isn't a middle ground for those of us who need the installer for the installation of the dish but can manage our own house wiring.

I had a four room install today. When I got there to do the install they told me they only have 1 TV in the house and plan on buying more after the holidays. No prob. I just carried the TV from one receiver to the other. thank god the receivers were on the same floor.

lawl, again 1 of my TVs is just going to be a laptop, so they won't have to do that :)

You guys rawk as installers :) I hope the one I get is that nice :) I'll give them a nice tip if they backfeed the 2nd input of the 625 and the 322 to other rooms which I'll pick up from said laptop :)

As another poster mentioned, its pretty much a simple matter with regards to TV2 if the televisions are there for TV1. I just simply tell the customer that they are absorbing responsibility. It really shouldn't be that difficult for someone to tune their television to channel 73 (my personal favorite modulation...too much confusion if channel 60/antenna is used).

I like to look around in the upper ranges (try 101-120), out here anyway those channels work a bit clearer, lmao yes there is a difference (cheap cables? *shrug*)

Err the point being it helps to hunt around :) With TVs these days (if the customer forgets), as long as they plug into the right jack, and it fires up to auto-find-channels, it'll end up finding the channel the receiver has TV2 on anyway, hahahaha.

I had a four room install today. When I got there to do the install they told me they only have 1 TV in the house and plan on buying more after the holidays. No prob. I just carried the TV from one receiver to the other. thank god the receivers were on the same floor.
Braver man than I then, last thing I'd want to do is drop it after stepping on a kids or pets toy and loosing my balance and have to pay for it.

lawl, again 1 of my TVs is just going to be a laptop, so they won't have to do that :)

You guys rawk as installers :) I hope the one I get is that nice :) I'll give them a nice tip if they backfeed the 2nd input of the 625 and the 322 to other rooms which I'll pick up from said laptop :)
A good customer no doubt, wish that all were like you.

As another poster mentioned, its pretty much a simple matter with regards to TV2 if the televisions are there for TV1. I just simply tell the customer that they are absorbing responsibility. It really shouldn't be that difficult for someone to tune their television to channel 73 (my personal favorite modulation...too much confusion if channel 60/antenna is used).
Simple is the reason why you end up with a tc12, when I've done it in the past wether the customer had the tv or not I wrote it down on a sheet of paper next to the tv and wrote it on a the work order and the owners manual, simply telling them is marginaly effective becuase you've also had to pour into their heads how to turn it on, change channels, set timers, use the dvr, showed them dish home, explained the billing, ect ect ect and atleast half that stuff they forget as your right foot crosses the threshhold onto the porch.

It's just that they are technically challenged, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that, some people are good at it, and some aren't.

I would be hard pressed to have my mom set up a receiver out of the box. The truth be told, I think the only other person in this house that can do it is my older (and autistic) bro, he knows our 322s as well as I do. Then again, he got a hold of one of the manuals and read it one day.

It depends on the installer....

What usually happens is when you order a 4 room install and the installer only hooks up 1 television is that a week or so later the customer gets the other 3 televisions. They then can't figure out how to get them to work, call tech support and then sets up a service call.

The tech then gets a service call for that customer, which either creates a chargeback or he is then expected to go out there and fix it for FREE.

Installers generally don't have issues going back out if you call them directly and they can make it back to your home when they have some free time or back in the area. What pisses them off is when the customer calls 800-333-DISH to setup the appointment, or the customer makes a big stink over the televisions not working, blames it on the installer when its not really their fault and then all of a sudden the installer is blamed and forced to go back out there ASAP!

Demonstrate to the installer that your technically savvy hooking all this stuff up, and your ok. If its an 80 year old grandma, he knows he is going to get called back and will not install the additional rooms!

When this happens to me, :mad:. I try and do the TV 2's then. Which can't always be done. I HAVE reschedule those who just don't understand how it works, easy as it is. But then again, 99% of people can't even program a VCR, amazing isn't it?

Braver man than I then, last thing I'd want to do is drop it after stepping on a kids or pets toy and loosing my balance and have to pay for it.

A good customer no doubt, wish that all were like you.

Simple is the reason why you end up with a tc12, when I've done it in the past wether the customer had the tv or not I wrote it down on a sheet of paper next to the tv and wrote it on a the work order and the owners manual, simply telling them is marginaly effective becuase you've also had to pour into their heads how to turn it on, change channels, set timers, use the dvr, showed them dish home, explained the billing, ect ect ect and atleast half that stuff they forget as your right foot crosses the threshhold onto the porch.

One of the best things in the world to help a customer remember are those stickers that are at the very front of the owners manual. It may look like hell, but I'll put those little babies on the front of the remote controls WITH the channel number Sharpied to it. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

LOL so it turns out my cousin's one of the guys setting it up! I knew he did cable but I didn't realize he was a dish installer :)

Wish I had known that before. Welp, no worries :) I'm taken care of, I'll let ya know how it goes later :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)