So is D!SH moving satellites? . . . Scam Call . . .

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandFarmer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
The Beach.
I just got a call with the correct CID and the gentleman on the other end with a severely heavy Indian accent, very deep this time not the usual high squeeky type, asking if I had D!SH Network for my TV? I told him that he was the one calling me and how he go the number should tell him whether or not I did. He then said "that too many customers were complaining that they couldn't get service so, "he" was moving a "satillite" to a better "orbital location" for better service". And that he was making a "courtesy call" to see if my hardware, which he didn't know what gear I have, he didn't know if I had D!SH, which is two H3's, would still be compatible after "he" moved the sat.

I asked several times, "what orbital location was "he" moving the sat to?" And he kept saying what?!

I said you said, "you" are moving a sat to a new orbital location."

He said, "yes."

"All by yourself?!"

"Yes."

"Well I'm impressed." "Well where then?" "Then I can tell you if my gear will still work."

He then says, "What is gear?"

"My STBs."

"What is STB's?"

At this point I wanted to go on about "STDs" but refrained. At the beginning of the call I pressed the # and that told my phone company I got a Scam Call off a Good CID and to start tracing or whatever the call. So at this time I got the tone that they either got or couldn't get whatever they needed to deal with and block the exchange that the call was coming from.

I then told him "He didn't have a clue about what he was talking about", then thanked him for staying on the line long enough for my phone company to trace where the call was actually coming from and he hung up.

So just a warning. Someone somewhere concocted a new and partially more accurate, CID, scheme and are making calls. I need to start recording these . . .

I just got a call with the correct CID and the gentleman on the other end with a severely heavy Indian accent, very deep this time not the usual high squeeky type, asking if I had D!SH Network for my TV? I told him that he was the one calling me and how he go the number should tell him whether or not I did. He then said "that too many customers were complaining that they couldn't get service so, "he" was moving a "satillite" to a better "orbital location" for better service". And that he was making a "courtesy call" to see if my hardware, which he didn't know what gear I have, he didn't know if I had D!SH, which is two H3's, would still be compatible after "he" moved the sat.
Jebus! Dr. Zoidberg is a better doctor than that guy was at Sat TV.

• Haha
Reactions: HipKat
I love scam calls. I still have yet to get one for my telecom, however, I get the IRS ones all the time. I always ask where they are calling from, they always say DC, so I have to ask why their number is calling from Florida(or insert any area code that is not DC). They argue me on the area code being from DC(at which point I confirm it is not when I ask them what the DC area code is) and they hang up. Well, I always feel it’s valuable that you teach your kids how to stand up for other people, so I taught my son that it is important to continuously call back to them(in the beginning, ask for a callback number in case you get disconnected) and flood their lines. Luckily, I always have two cell phones on me, and I have no qualms with using any other phone I can get my hands on. My office has atleast 19 different lines as well, so I don’t mind calling from them, and the owner doesn’t care as long as he gets to listen to the funnier ones. They do eventually all get blocked at some point, but then I just flood their voicemail with even more. This last time, I was Sunny Palmsdale, a recent transgender queer that was “trying to figure out if my doctors bills was why the IRS was coming after me”. Good times. My 8 year old plays along nicely in this scheme, too. Smart kid.

I was in Ohio last year at a nicer Apt complex, and there was an existing Dish on the South end of the Building I was dispatched to. The Customer lived on the North end of it and there were a fair number of trees to the south. The woman who lived in that southern most apt came out to complain about an existing Dish that was next to her fence and asked if it could be moved and I told her no, the trees were blocking the Sats form other locations. So she angrily said "Well can't they just point THAT way? (pointing the North East). I said, "Yeah, give me a few, I'll call NASA and tell them to move the Sats for you....."

She said "Well you don't have to be a smart-ass about it" and angrily went back in her apartment ;)

I was in Ohio last year at a nicer Apt complex, and there was an existing Dish on the South end of the Building I was dispatched to. The Customer lived on the North end of it and there were a fair number of trees to the south. The woman who lived in that southern most apt came out to complain about an existing Dish that was next to her fence and asked if it could be moved and I told her no, the trees were blocking the Sats form other locations. So she angrily said "Well can't they just point THAT way? (pointing the North East). I said, "Yeah, give me a few, I'll call NASA and tell them to move the Sats for you....."

She said "Well you don't have to be a smart-ass about it" and angrily went back in her apartment ;)
Did she also tell you to get off her lawn! :D

I once told a Spectrum telemarketer that we had Dish satellite service and didn't want Spectrum's cable TV service because they won't give us enough cable to reach all the places we travel from NY to Florida. He told me that Dish won't work that far either because the satellite can't follow us. I hung up... :)
I was told by a Spectrum door to door that they could copy the my Dish EHD programming onto their DVR. I really should have punched them in to the nose so that they'd think twice before saying that to someone that didn't know enough to know that was a lie.

AT&T stopped by and the guys laughed when I said I was happy with my 50 Mbps (they were trying to up sell to 1 Gbps). They are laughing (well more finding my statement comical) and I'm thinking, when I was a kid, modems were bps.

I was told by a Spectrum door to door that they could copy the my Dish EHD programming onto their DVR. I really should have punched them in to the nose so that they'd think twice before saying that to someone that didn't know enough to know that was a lie.

AT&T stopped by and the guys laughed when I said I was happy with my 50 Mbps (they were trying to up sell to 1 Gbps). They are laughing (well more finding my statement comical) and I'm thinking, when I was a kid, modems were bps.
Just had that conversation with my wife. She goes “the kids I work with today, don’t understand what AOL was like”. I had to remind her that I use to have to type into the DOS when I wanted to play a video game, and I remember usin the 7.5” floppies and changing them out anytime I wanted to switch games. And the monitor was a green screen. She called me an old man and acted like one of the kids she was complaining about. Fml. Lol.

Just had that conversation with my wife. She goes “the kids I work with today, don’t understand what AOL was like”. I had to remind her that I use to have to type into the DOS when I wanted to play a video game, and I remember usin the 7.5” floppies and changing them out anytime I wanted to switch games. And the monitor was a green screen. She called me an old man and acted like one of the kids she was complaining about. Fml. Lol.
A hands on museum where they dialed into a bulletin board at 56k would be interesting. But only to us who experienced it. There is no way kids would have the attention span nor patience for screen refresh rates. The museum would be a failure

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I bought my first modem to use with a 386SX computer. It was at 9600. About the only thing, I could do with it at first connecting to the local library to look at their card catalog and VERY limited data. It was GREAT

Reactions: TheKrell
Remember when you "heard about people" downloading Music from Napster with a dial-up modem and leaving the queue set to run all night, hoping to get four or five good quality song files to complete in 10 hours.

Reactions: dishdude
I used an ancient relational database on my Commodore 64 to begin computerizing our office back in the late 1980's. When We finally got a "real" computer (8inch floppys with an 10MB hard drive) , I transferred all my data from the C64 to the XEROX PC with the 300 baud modems in each tying up both phone lines in the office for 8+ hours. Had to do it over night.

Reactions: TheKrell
I used an ancient relational database on my Commodore 64 to begin computerizing our office back in the late 1980's. When We finally got a "real" computer (8inch floppys with an 10MB hard drive) , I transferred all my data from the C64 to the XEROX PC with the 300 baud modems in each tying up both phone lines in the office for 8+ hours. Had to do it over night.
It was great experiencing the birth of the computer age. Today everyone new is born into it. But to experience when the network was built... phone lines... new gadgets... what a time it was

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: joegr and navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)