So is D!SH moving satellites? . . . Scam Call . . .

Just had that conversation with my wife. She goes “the kids I work with today, don’t understand what AOL was like”. I had to remind her that I use to have to type into the DOS when I wanted to play a video game, and I remember usin the 7.5” floppies and changing them out anytime I wanted to switch games. And the monitor was a green screen. She called me an old man and acted like one of the kids she was complaining about. Fml. Lol.
ZIp Disk FTW!

timeline_memorystorage_1994.zip.jpg

I remember my first computer using tape cassettes (same kind as we listened to music on) for storage. There was one game I liked to play (some kind of air traffic controller) that would take 5+ minutes to load, but once you "died", you had to load the entire game again. And of course we had the 5 1/4" discs (any one else cut off the tab so you could use BOTH sides?), then 3 1/2"

I have some zip discs but I no longer have the reader. Even if I did, I'm not sure it would plug into today's motherboards let alone finding a driver. Lord knows what's on them.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I remember my first computer using tape cassettes (same kind as we listened to music on) for storage. There was one game I liked to play (some kind of air traffic controller) that would take 5+ minutes to load, but once you "died", you had to load the entire game again. And of course we had the 5 1/4" discs (any one else cut off the tab so you could use BOTH sides?), then 3 1/2"

Yes. And I still have a couple of those metal punches that made the 3.5” double sided.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yep, Commodore Pet! I wrote a whole program on that cassette. UFO landed and Alien stick figure walked out of a door after it opened. I think that was as much as I could fit on there

I bought my first modem to use with a 386SX computer. It was at 9600. About the only thing, I could do with it at first connecting to the local library to look at their card catalog and VERY limited data. It was GREAT
My first computer was a Tandy 1000SL. It had an 8088 processor. This was in 1989.

Reactions: mdonnelly
There were:
8” floppies
5.25” mini floppies
3.5” micro floppies

We won’t discuss that Zenith also-ran. 3”?
Anybody remember the Burroughs 3MB 8" mini disk 3? Thought not. It was alwasy fun explaining to customers why they had to but the special (and they really were special) Burroughs floppys that cost much more that the ones at Office Depot. 3MB was quire an accomplishment way back when.

I have some zip discs but I no longer have the reader. Even if I did, I'm not sure it would plug into today's motherboards let alone finding a driver. Lord knows what's on them.

I have zip disks from the 90s and a USB ZipDrive. I recently tried to retrieve some data from them. My Win10 machine wouldn’t even recognize the drive. I didn’t have time to research whether or not there were drivers available or if Win10 will support them at all.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I have zip disks from the 90s and a USB ZipDrive. I recently tried to retrieve some data from them. My Win10 machine wouldn’t even recognize the drive. I didn’t have time to research whether or not there were drivers available or if Win10 will support them at all.
My neighbor kept his old 8088 machine. One time as a project I borrowed it and installed an old scsi card and then attached my old scsi backup tape drive. It took the same tapes as those digital camcorders. It worked. It was a slow job but I managed through a series of transfers to get the backups onto my current 4TB back up disc. For posterity.

It never occurred to me to try hooking up the zip drive! And I think he's thrown that machine out.

my family's first computer was in '93. it was a top of the line brand new model Packard Bell. it had if i remember correctly like a 170mb hard drive and only a few mb of ram. we used it for everything. my parents had their own business so we did paperwork on it and my brother and I also played games on it. lots of good times! We didn't get the internet or a computer that could get online until '99. we live 8 miles out in the country so the dialup speed was only about 38.8kbps. that was the best we could get until about 10 years ago when we could finally get "best effort dsl" with a max speed of 1.5mb. We were stuck with that until last summer when our ISP put in fixed wireless which jumped us up to 75mb.

I too have about 10 disks. Also, have the drive for them. Got me thinking, Maybe I should see if I can get it connected and see what is on them.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)