Soft Menus on 622/722

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I've noticed this since owning my first 622...

The guide and menus are all very soft, dare I say, blurry! Image quality (of actual programming) is great, however. I even notice that on-screen graphics on SD broadcasts are sometimes sharper than the guide and menus.

This problem was notable with my 622 on my previous 61" DLP (720p) and still exists on my 61' DLP (1080p). It's also present on my 722 going to the same TV.

The 622 is connected via HDMI, the 722 is connected via components. Again, they both display very soft guides & menus. Toggling the outputs between 720p & 1080i makes no difference.

I have all edge enhancements (DNIe) turned off on the TV, although turning it on makes a little difference, but if it was a real HD image, it shouldn't be necessary.

Given the above circumstances, I've determined it must not be my TV, but rather the STB's software. Does anyone else (with big screens) notice the excessive softness of the 622/722 software?

They look fine on my 47" LCD, although admitedly not as sharp as something like the Xbox 360 dashboard. I can see how at a larger screen size they might look even more blurry.

Ok, I just did the trial...

I toggled through the default video profiles on my TV (Movie, Custom, Dynamic, etc.) while the guide was displayed. "Dynamic" (which has DNIe on) makes the guide very sharp except for the "DISH Network" logo in the upper left-hand corner. The logo remains soft, despite any settings I put the TV on.

Now, I leave the TV on "Movie" mode as it is the mode that I've further calibrated (with DVE & AVIA, etc) so that it is the most accurate mode and looks absolutely outstanding for actual HD programming. The other settings (utilizing DNIe, which adds edge enhancement and black crush) actually make SD look a little better, but it's not worth toggling back and forth between image profiles when I watch the occasional SD program.

So, in a nutshell, with DNIe turned on, yes, the menus do look sharp (except for the DISH Network logo which remains blurry for some reason). However, DNIe absolutely ruins a decent HD image.

I'm with ya, 120... my 622 is hooked up via HDMI to a 50" plasma (1366x768)... I've always thought the menus looked a little "soft". Not bad, per se. More like... the difference between a DVD, and a Blu-Ray.

... I should also add that I don't have any sharpness/noise reduction features turned on on my set. I'll try playing with it some.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but maybe the menus aren't actually true HD images? The channel guide always looked stretched to me, especially after looking at the 4x3 version of the guide on TV2.

Also, I have experienced both "soft" and somewhat discolored menus, but that was when I had the 722 hooked up via component. Now that I have it hooked up via HDMI in 1080i mode, menus & channel guide look much better.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

...but maybe the menus aren't actually true HD images?
Oh, I think that's a given.
...The channel guide always looked stretched to me...
Exactly!
...Also, I have experienced both "soft" and somewhat discolored menus, but that was when I had the 722 hooked up via component. Now that I have it hooked up via HDMI in 1080i mode, menus & channel guide look much better.
I would have to say that my experience is just the opposite. I have the 622 connected via HDMI and the 722 via component. Despite all my calibrations, the component-connected 722 looks better. (And just in case you think it's my TV handling component imputs better than HDMI, I've tried connecting the 622 via components and it yielded a better image too.)

Hehehe...I remember for a while, I thought I was going to have to adjust the ring focus on my DLP TV due to the soft menus. That was until I played the HD NET HD calibration program (saved to my DVR). I'm able to read the last line, "is better than mine". So I don't think I have a focus problem.

...I should also add that I don't have any sharpness/noise reduction features turned on on my set. I'll try playing with it some.
If you're happy with your images, I wouldn't add edge enhancement features to your settings. On my set, if I make the guide/menus sharp with DNIe, the HD programming looks unnaturally sharp with lots of edge enhancement noise.

Some of you are just confirming what I suspected, so I appreciate the input. I'm just expecting XBOX/PS3 dashboard sharpness when I really shouldn't be.

I just had my 942 replaced with a 722. I immediately noticed that the text and menus looked softer with the 722 vs. the 942. It appears to me that the text is more anti-aliased (smoothed) to reduce text pixelation on the 722 than the 942. I have a 70 inch LCOS RPTV.

How close to the TV are when you notice this ?

10' from a 61" 1080p DLP

Sounds like what I've noticed for years has been present for most everyone. Some notice it, some don't. Screen size is probably a big factor on who notices it and who doesn't, but I'd imagine set calibration plays an even bigger role.

Again, screen graphics and text on HD channels are crisp as if I'm looking at a computer monitor. Even text/graphics (tickers, station logos, etc.) on SD OTA digital programming are often sharper than the menu/guides on the 622/722.

How close to the TV are when you notice this ?

10-12 feet.

I am glad that the interface designers/programmers took the time to anti-alias the text in the STB interface so it appears better on digital TVs. We will have to wait and see if the user interface will be designed with a higher resolution in future receivers.

Nothing sours my experience with a device more than a horribly designed user interface. I do expect high quality interfaces on my devices in this age of high resolution digital displays. My sleek 70" 1080p JVC TV has user menus straight from the 1980s (still can't stand them).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)