Softbank Mulling Sprint / DISH Combo

American Tower leases towers that have multiple carriers on them. The one near me has VZW, Sprint, Tmo, ATT and USC on it

Except the American Tower is way further than the Verizon tower. There seems to be other towers that are probably not on the list as I can walk 500 ft either direction and the signal goes to a full 5 bars.

I still wonder how people actually complain about coverage to their carrier so the carriers are aware of it.

Facts? Data? From an independent source? How about OpenSignal? Ok.

Verizon:

Verizon.JPG

Sprint:

sprint.JPG

Facts? Data? From an independent source? How about OpenSignal? Ok.

Verizon:

Sprint:

Well, crowd-sourced data is good, but only if you combine it with synthetic testing, especially as Verizon has more customers than Sprint from which to create a good picture of real-world coverage.

There are still enough customers of both services to create a statistically significant dataset. The "no data" areas are just that: since it is crowd sourced, no data can come from an area with no signal.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Sprint may consider the "1%" difference between them and Verizon to be Kansas, Northern Oklahoma, Western Missouri, and North and South Dakota, but that's where I live and travel and so Sprint doesn't "work for me." ;)

For once, I'm in the 1% of something!!!!

The problem with zoomed out maps like that is, just that, they are zoomed out.

If you took that map and put a pin point where I work, you'd be in the red with no service. When in reality this is what I see

3042751386.png

Never took a look at Open Signal before but I used a similar crowd sourced application from a similar company where you could go street level, I think it began with an S and the used the color purple with different intensities to show the strength. That's how I knew what towers Sprint lit up with LTE when they were testing, prior to them showing as upgraded on network.sprint.com And that is ultimately why I let Verizon, paid a massive ETF on two lines to go back with Sprint. Never will on spend another penny with Verizon.

Handsets also make a difference. At work we only have iPhones for company issued phones. Used to have AT&T and Verizon up until last year, now we have Sprint and T-Mobile. Across all four carries iPhones always have had the poorest signal and slowest speed. And I don't look at bars/dots, I bring up the Field Test screen on the iPhone and compare using the numerical dbm value. From what I've seen Motorola phones have the strongest antennas. When we had AT&T, those that have personal Android phones (mainly Samsung) on AT&T could get a very poor, but mostly usable signal on AT&T, whereas their company issued iPhone showed No Service when anywhere on the property.

The problem with zoomed out maps like that is, just that, they are zoomed out.

If you took that map and put a pin point where I work, you'd be in the red with no service. When in reality this is what I see

3042751386.png

Never took a look at Open Signal before but I used a similar crowd sourced application from a similar company where you could go street level, I think it began with an S and the used the color purple with different intensities to show the strength. That's how I knew what towers Sprint lit up with LTE when they were testing, prior to them showing as upgraded on network.sprint.com And that is ultimately why I let Verizon, paid a massive ETF on two lines to go back with Sprint. Never will on spend another penny with Verizon.

Handsets also make a difference. At work we only have iPhones for company issued phones. Used to have AT&T and Verizon up until last year, now we have Sprint and T-Mobile. Across all four carries iPhones always have had the poorest signal and slowest speed. And I don't look at bars/dots, I bring up the Field Test screen on the iPhone and compare using the numerical dbm value. From what I've seen Motorola phones have the strongest antennas. When we had AT&T, those that have personal Android phones (mainly Samsung) on AT&T could get a very poor, but mostly usable signal on AT&T, whereas their company issued iPhone showed No Service when anywhere on the property.
You're right. At a micro level, the data noise becomes more apparent. Areas that show signal may not actually have it, and vice versa. Also, handset reliability plays a factor. That's why you need many data points scattered over many different areas and devices. Which is exactly what the zoomed out image shows. The more data points, the less significant the data noise becomes. At a macro level, the picture is more accurate, and it trumps the anecdotal evidence.

They're all waiting for Sprint to file Chapter 7 and then pick them apart. Sprint just extended their free unlimited everything, minus fees/taxes until the end of September. This was suppose to end June 28th. How much can a company give away free? Some on Wall Street believe they're done. Sprint's overall operation sucks!

I liked in the article posted above, it has Sprint claiming to be fine on their own, they just want to penetrate the market. I call bull. I agree, I think Sprint only has a little life left, and will sell to the first serious buyer. This time, they are not getting a bidding war, and shareholders may end up not liking the end outcome.

I liked in the article posted above, it has Sprint claiming to be fine on their own, they just want to penetrate the market. I call bull. I agree, I think Sprint only has a little life left, and will sell to the first serious buyer. This time, they are not getting a bidding war, and shareholders may end up not liking the end outcome.

You're not the first:

Craig Moffett Single Handedly Tanks Sprint Stock - Insists Chance of Bankruptcy is Around 50%

Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett is downgrading Sprint stock insisting the company faces "a very legitimate risk" of bankruptcy. The reasons for the downgrade are obvious, given that Sprint's high pay out for the iPhone and their costly looming LTE network puts the company on even more tenuous footing in their battle against AT&T and Verizon. Still, Moffett's note seemed to almost enjoy piling on, causing Sprint's stock to take a beating earlier this week. His note puts a Sprint bankruptcy at about 50%:

“Sprint’s stock price may be best thought of as the awkward probability-weighted expected value of two distinctly different outcomes. In the first, the company successfully navigates its complicated Network Vision upgrade, stabilizes Clearwire‘s financial position, and delivers a compelling 4G product. In the second, some combination of its gargantuan take-or-pay contract with Apple, a hobbled 4G offering, and a stupendous debt burden bring the company to its knees.Like most investors, Moffett has long whined about absolutely any and all network upgrade costs, and Sprint's preparing for a major one. Sprint's certainly going to have to engage in a lot of spectrum juggling to get LTE built, but in a market where AT&T and Verizon sit on most of the spectrum -- that shouldn't be news to anyone. They'll initially use their PCS G block 10 MHz nationwide licenses for a 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE channel, refarm their SMR 800 MHz spectrum as they shutter the iDen network, then rely heavily on Clearwire now that LightSquared is dead. Moffett simply doesn't believe Sprint can field a quality LTE product:quote:The problem is 4G. Sprint doesn’t have enough free-and-clear spectrum on which to launch a competitive LTE network, and it doesn’t have the money to clear spectrum that’s already in use. We expect Sprint’s competitiveness to begin to backslide when LTE becomes the nation’s de facto standard.Again, the fact that Sprint's wallet is tight or that their LTE build will be tricky is not really news. Sprint's board is so nervous about the upgrades that they bucked CEO Hesse's attempt to acquire MetroPCS fearing it would be too many moving pieces. Still, Moffett is not exactly known for singing on key when it comes to predicting wireless fortunes, insisting back in 2009 that the wireless industry was "collapsing." Stock holdings for all carriers are threatened if there's worries about a price war, so it's in Sanford Bernstein's best interests to assure investors that Sprint shouldn't be taken seriously.

Given the obvious investor interest in charging more money for less product, Moffet's been at the forefront of the push toward metered billing, going so far as to call AT&T's low caps and $10 per GB overages "the next generation of communications." Sprint's the last major hold out still offering unlimited smartphone data, and putting a little extra pressure on Sprint could help nudge them toward killing unlimited smartphone data sooner rather than later. With pressure both outside and from within, it would be surprising if Sprint's unlimited smartphone data plan survives the year.

That's 2012.

But Craig did it again in 2016...

Sprint: Bankruptcy Is a Very Real Possibility

When you consider that Sprint stock could be in the realm of $4 billion free cash flow negative for 2016, plus the fact that Sprint has lost nearly three-fourths of its value since 2014, it is clear to see that the company is low on options when it comes to managing its debt load.

Sooner or later, high debt will punish a company — especially when that company remains unprofitable. Given the totality of Sprint’s debt coupled with an inability to see light at the end of its tunnel, investors must conclude that a bankruptcy is far more likely than not.

Don’t get tricked into buying Sprint stock. The future does not look bright.

And this guy still has a job. His "analyst" view were at times when Sprint stock was sub-$3 range, and sub $5 range. Now the stock is hanging at $8 - $9.
They've rolled out band 25, band 26, and band 41 LTE.
According to this guy, they wouldn't survive initial LTE rollouts in 2012. Then, in 2016, they wouldn't survive the debt payments.
Softbank went from a worse position than Sprint, as a carrier in Japan to the #1 carrier in Japan at the control of Mayoshi Son.

Sooner or later, high debt will punish a company — especially when that company remains unprofitable. Given the totality of Sprint’s debt coupled with an inability to see light at the end of its tunnel, investors must conclude that a bankruptcy is far more likely than not.

Yet, the earnings call last week showed Sprint as turning a profit for the first time in 3 years.

There are still enough customers of both services to create a statistically significant dataset. The "no data" areas are just that: since it is crowd sourced, no data can come from an area with no signal.

I beg your pardon, I don't think I was being clear. I didn't say Sprint's dataset was statistically insignificant. I was trying to say that the difference in dataset sizes means that having synthetic tests to compare to was more important. Especially given the handset differences discussed later on. For instance, do Sprint customers have more or fewer iPhones than Verizon customers, etc.? If you test with the same handsets for both carriers, it removes that variable. Real-world testing data is important, and so is synthetic testing. That is all I was trying to get across.

You're not the first:

Craig Moffett Single Handedly Tanks Sprint Stock - Insists Chance of Bankruptcy is Around 50%

That's 2012.

But Craig did it again in 2016...

Sprint: Bankruptcy Is a Very Real Possibility

And this guy still has a job. His "analyst" view were at times when Sprint stock was sub-$3 range, and sub $5 range. Now the stock is hanging at $8 - $9.
They've rolled out band 25, band 26, and band 41 LTE.
According to this guy, they wouldn't survive initial LTE rollouts in 2012. Then, in 2016, they wouldn't survive the debt payments.
Softbank went from a worse position than Sprint, as a carrier in Japan to the #1 carrier in Japan at the control of Mayoshi Son.

Yet, the earnings call last week showed Sprint as turning a profit for the first time in 3 years.

Craig Moffett is the idiot who said cord cutting wasn't a real thing for years too. Not that I am saying he is wrong in this case, I just don't think he is all that.

Craig Moffett is the idiot who said cord cutting wasn't a real thing for years too. Not that I am saying he is wrong in this case, I just don't think he is all that.

He's been shorting Sprint for years...and every time Craig has a "prediction" about Sprint, the stock market falls all over themselves to adhere to his every word....

Every time something happens, Moffett says Sprint is going bankrupt. Those are just 2 instances in the past 5 years that I quoted...he's done it more than that...those are the most notable times I guess where I quoted him...

Softbank didn't invest into 83% of Sprint in order to watch it flounder and bankrupt. Craig doesn't like 4 nationwide carriers.. Sprint can't do anything right, but he falls all over himself with everything Legere says or does.

Sprint Resumes Preliminary Talks on T-Mobile Merger

(Link Above from Bloomberg on new T-Mobile Talks)

Sprint is desperate to find a buyer before they need to file bankruptcy

Well, I am not sure about the bankruptcy thing, but, if it is true, then they should have a pretty weak hand at the bargaining table. Not sure why they think they should run whatever the merged company would be if they haven't shown they can successfully run the company they have. I don't see Charlie going for it if he isn't in charge. Same thing for Legere.

Reactions: Blackhawks
Well, I am not sure about the bankruptcy thing, but, if it is true, then they should have a pretty weak hand at the bargaining table. Not sure why they think they should run whatever the merged company would be if they haven't shown they can successfully run the company they have. I don't see Charlie going for it if he isn't in charge. Same thing for Legere.

It's not Sprint or the Sprint board that's doing this. Marcelo is just along for the ride. Mayoshi Son wants control of the combined company...
His attitude about Charter when Rutledge said they wanted no part of Sprint was "I'll just buy you in hostile takover style"...
That's just how Son runs business...

It's not Sprint or the Sprint board that's doing this. Marcelo is just along for the ride. Mayoshi Son wants control of the combined company...
His attitude about Charter when Rutledge said they wanted no part of Sprint was "I'll just buy you in hostile takover style"...

Keep dreaming.

I wish him the best of luck with that. Unless Charlie just decides to retire, I don't see it happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts