Some new boxes have firewire??

madpoet said:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382516

True? If so, very cool. But I wonder how I can make sure I get one :).

-MP

This is good but I will be pissed if my two recent swapped boxes did not have it. I have to check tonight but I believe I did not see anything last time I checked although I was not looking for it.

I will demand one with Firewire if this is the new practice. Anyone who got a swap one, got the firewire port? Can you post a picture?

Heh, I'm just going to be annoyed that I plunked down the cash for a WVHS recorder when I could use my JVC30K instead ;)

My box swap was last week and it only has the original USB port like the old one did. I hope those that state this can up a pic so we can be sure they haven't mistaken it for a USB port..

Rick

If they do offer Firewire on boxes, I hope it will be an inexpensive upgrade, or perhaps a swapout with priority to those who purchased the box. Certainly, those who purchased the box should take priority over those who rent.

Wilt did say that Firewire, if there, wasn't enabled. Nor is it clear at this point when it will be enabled, if ever.

Wilt's response:

"News to me, actually. I'll double-check though, about the ports. I know it's not active.
Wilt"

I'll have to check the rear of my receiver, I've only had it for 2 weeks. I have a JVC 30K so I sure hope it's there, that would be awesome, I'm itching to record HD.

Wilt's reply to this question over on the Yahoo groups..

News to me, actually. I'll double-check though, about the ports. I know it's not active.
Wilt

I really hope it's true, and not just 2 people who don't know the difference between USB and Firewire :)

Wilt's reply to this question over on the Yahoo groups..

""News to me, actually. I'll double-check though, about the ports. I know it's not active.""
Wilt

I Dont Think Its True. There is Going To Be A Big Legal Thing With The Film Industry & Being Able To Copy 1080i HD Which Is Better Then Film.

I'd agree, except that it already exists in quite a few cable boxes, etc; Plus the FCC mandated it as of April1 for cable boxes.

-MP

I believe they meant firewire. I know what firewire is, and I use it with my DV camera to transfer video to my PC. What would it be for on the satellite box? Could I transfer the video to my PC that way?

sixy said:
What would it be for on the satellite box?
There are HD recorders that have FireWire input. FireWire interface would open the possibility of HD recording and time-shifting.

Firewire

Ilya said:
There are HD recorders that have FireWire input. FireWire interface would open the possibility of HD recording and time-shifting.

Yes, firewire would open up the possibility of HD recording. However, there is a class code broadcast with the HD signal and if HBO or whoever doesnt want their signal recorded then the new versions of D-VHS recorders will not be able to record these broadcasts as the class code tells the recorder that the material is protected and do not record.

This is something the DVHS recorder companies dont like to broadcast :)

Bill

Yes! Firewire (or specifically 1394) is a standard for digital transfer. Firewire allows TRUE digital recording. You want it :)

OK. enough about what firewire is. does anyone have one? I got box swapped last week and it still only has the usb port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts