Someone please? DISH Sat. Plans

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Does anyone know what they are going to do with the new sats. they are putting up. That will be alot of capacity and no new plans for HD? How many more locals are even left to put up? What are they going to do with the wings?

AMC15 is goign to 105 and will be replacing AMC2. AMC2 doesn't cover the CONUS and it lower powered. AMC15 will make it CONUS (so they can add locals)

AMC16 is going to 110 and will give dish more spotbeams. This will be to satisfy NAB's "one dish" rule for locals (all the locals have to be on one dish)

Thanks

Thanks Ice.

Why can't they put all HD stuff on 61.5 and 148?

Iceberg said:
AMC16 is going to 110 and will give dish more spotbeams. This will be to satisfy NAB's "one dish" rule for locals (all the locals have to be on one dish)

Unless something changed that I missed and SES Americom hasn't updated their website, AMC 16 is scheduled to go to 85 west, not 110.

Iceberg said:
AMC15 is goign to 105 and will be replacing AMC2. AMC2 doesn't cover the CONUS and it lower powered. AMC15 will make it CONUS (so they can add locals)

AMC-16 is Ku-FSS not DBS it is going to 85 not 110. Echostar X being launched in a few months is going to 110.

AMC-15 and 16 are both Ku-FSS/Ka satellites with CONUS Ku-FSS and spot beam Ka. Echostar X is a Ku-DBS spot beam satellite stated to have 45+ spot beams on it.

mdonnelly said:
"Why can't they put all HD stuff on 61.5 and 148?"

And set up a new dish for everyone with the HD package.

They don't have a lot of transponders at 61.5. But, there's probably room for a few.

Don't know how many dishs they would need to install, some HD people all ready have a wing slot.

It's still a big outlay for something that Dish may only use as a 1-2 year solution. I suppose they could make the customer pay for the extra dish.

(Dish + switch + install could cost $150 - $200)

bdemz said:
What will it be used for at 85?

Dish has not announce what they plan to do with AMC-16, or with the Ka part of AMC-15 (or really even the approximately 33% more space on the Ku side of AMC-15).

They have another Ku-FSS satellite slot leased from SES that they have not announce plans for either. 3 Ku-AUX slots and 3 Ka slots are also waiting satellites, with no announced plans.

A lot of satellite space waiting for a use... I would speculate it being used for HD LIL delivery, but perhaps Dish has other plans...

HD LIL a waste

I still beleive that HD LIL is a waste. The people who cannot receive them OTA should already qualify for Distant Nets. So all E* needs to do is provide an HD feed from distant nets ala D*.

I heard from a sales rep, not a CSR, actual knowledgeable person, these sats are to be used for HDLIL. So unless the plan has changed since early December, that's it. HD locals on 85, 105 (probably ka). National HD 110, 119. Seems like a viable plan, put all the sats up, don't tell anyone, and then get the jump on everyone and light the nation up with HD. Seems likely?

bdemz said:
I still beleive that HD LIL is a waste. The people who cannot receive them OTA should already qualify for Distant Nets. So all E* needs to do is provide an HD feed from distant nets ala D*.

I can't get them OTA nor do I qualify for distant nets. :(
What's your next plan? :D

Easy, you live in the shadow of a mountain and can't get OTA, but you are also in a Grade B area. You don't qualify for Distants and you don't get OTA.

?

I thought if you can pove you don't get reception you can get a waiver?

Bobby said:
Easy, you live in the shadow of a mountain and can't get OTA, but you are also in a Grade B area. You don't qualify for Distants and you don't get OTA.

Exactly.
I'm in the NYC DMA. I live 70 miles north of the transmitters and have a mountain in the way. I have a clear line of site to the stations out of Albany, but the transmitters are over 75 miles away. Unless I put up a huge ass antenna, I'm not getting anything OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)