Something you folks may need to know!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
Everyone I just recently moved and of course I called Direct to have my dish moved, and of course was informed there would be no charge.

Well that is not really true as you do pay a price as I found out I was at the end of my 2 year contract 23 of 24 months and because I moved I was automatically commited to another 2 year agreement.

The reason i found this out is I called to disconnect my service for one month was my plan as I had been laid off work and was going to pay my past due amount in full next month and did not want a January bill also.

The csr said they could do that but what they did not tell me was my disconnect fee because of early contract disconnect i would be charged a 263.00 fee plus my past due amount.

So lets just say Direct and I are going round and round now and i am very angry about all this...They even automatically debited my checking account instead of letting me make payment arrangements.

I believe Direct should always inform thier subscribers of this but they don't!

See if they will reverse the termianation fee if you reactive and maintain the 2 year agreement.

Then, once the money is back and you are all set, you have the right to suspend your account for up to 6 months, this is something they offer for people that travel, etc.

The 2 year contract should have been in all the stuff they read to you when setting up the move. They read several lines of script than ask if you agree.

Anybody that has been around the block more than once, or who has ever taken A basic economics couse should know that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

DIRECTV had to pay a tech to come to your house and setup the equipment, and I bet they installed new equipment too. Did you really think DIRECTV would just write this expense off as a loss? They had to make sure their investment would get a return, this is why the charged you with a new commitment.

Also, you should NEVER trust what a CSR does or does not tell you, always research and/or read the contract for yourself. If you would have went to DIRECTV's website and read the fine print, you would have known there was a contract extension involved.

Even if the CSR didn't tell you about the contract, you have no legal ground to stand on unless you have a recording of the conversation, even then you might have a hard time, because it is clearly stated on their website, and I believe on the commercials as well.

Sorry for your bad experience, but as I always tell myself when I screw up.. "I learned a valuable lesson and I won't make this mistake again"

Even though one calls a CSR; ALL this info is posted in numerous places including the DirecTV website. All one has to do is take the time to look before leaping.

Not if you don't save the card when you use it at there website.

Can't charge a card not on file without authorization. The on file is just that, you authorizing, but they can not charge you without it no matter how many cards you have on file. They would terminate you before that.

Can't charge a card not on file without authorization. The on file is just that, you authorizing, but they can not charge you without it no matter how many cards you have on file. They would terminate you before that.
As soon as you terminate your service they charge your on file card for what ever the early termination fees are as well as your balance.Don't believe me call and ask, Or call up and drop your service. You get six days after termination only. This is what I was told by retention when I was going to drop D* before my contract was up. Thats one reason I kept my family package. You gave them permission when you singed up for service . If you fold on your contract they have permission to take what is owed.

As soon as you terminate your service they charge your on file card for what ever the early termination fees are as well as your balance.Don't believe me call and ask, Or call up and drop your service. You get six days after termination only. This is what I was told by retention when I was going to drop D* before my contract was up. Thats one reason I kept my family package. You gave them permission when you singed up for service . If you fold on your contract they have permission to take what is owed.

Once again, key word here..."on file". It is illegal to charge a card without authorization. I am not certain, but, I don't believe that your card is on file when you sign up. I have changed my cards sevral times over the last 13 years. I do pay online, sometimes with one card, sometimes another, not automatic, I don't have a card "on file"

I always use a "virtual credit card." It's a virtual credit card number. Many credit card companies have this option where you can create a one time use credit card number with a set dollar limit and expiration date, which is then linked back to your real credit card number. That way the merchant never gets your real credit card number, nor can they charge you more than the limit you set, or charge you again, unless you set it up initially to be for payments on installments.

Well in Pa i didnt need a credit card or debit card to sign up. Pa is one of a few states that Directv cannot ask for when signing up. I konw thats what i read and what the csr told me when i signed up on 12/15/07.

So i have no card with them on file and i never let anyone under any circumstances use auto pay. No one gets into my bank account but me.

I always use a "virtual credit card." It's a virtual credit card number. Many credit card companies have this option where you can create a one time use credit card number with a set dollar limit and expiration date, which is then linked back to your real credit card number. That way the merchant never gets your real credit card number, nor can they charge you more than the limit you set, or charge you again, unless you set it up initially to be for payments on installments.

Hmmm? I need to check into this option; thanks for the info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)