Sony Closes HD Player Price Gap

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
i do not if it was posted or not.... here it goes :)

Sony Closes HD Player Price Gap
Price on Blu-ray Players to Drop to $499
Sony is closing the price gap between its entry-level Blu-Ray player and rival Toshiba’s HD-DVD player. In what some media reports are calling the fastest price decline in consumer electronics history, the BDP-S300 Blu-ray player will carry a price tag of $499.
Full Story>

That would be nice, but I doubt it. Maybe they will announce a game for the PS3. Or maybe they bought Toshiba and are shutting down HD DVD production!;) :rolleyes:

I wish they would announce some good games. Bust-a-Move anyone? Oh well. Atleast I have dug out some of my ancient PS1 games and they are actually playable with the latest firmware update. :) Oh well...

As for this thread, what's the big deal with a $500 BR player? So basically right now, BR has price matched HD's players from a year ago when the HD-A1 came out at $500. Whoopie.

If you want a real most likely future-proof BR player, you will need the PS3 or atleast a BR player with Ethernet connection.

I'ld love to get a stand alone BR player and ditch the PS3, but I don't see any viable stand alone that is as feature rich as the PS3 or as upgradable as the PS3.

-John

how does 600 bux qualify as free? blu-ray logic baffles me.. ;)

The comment was made tongue-in-cheek.

The PS3 is primarily a premium gaming system...that just happens to be an outstanding BD Player and run Linux quite nicely too. What games can be played on an HD DVD stand-alone player? And what operating systems can you load onto them? As for the XBox360, it was pointed out the HD DVD options will cost an addition $199 for this capability. It's just not an apples-to-apples comparison to considered the PS3 as a stand-alone BD player only. To be honest, I am not interested in a BD stand-alone player until the price comes down a couple hundred dollars...and I really don't need one since I have two PS3.

This weekend I noticed Costco had a Toshiba HD DVD player selling for $249.99 after $100 instant rebate...a very tempting price until you realize Blu-Ray will probably have 80% of the HD disc market come next summer. Still, the offer comes with five (5) free HD DVD movies (rebate) which is a good deal if you have already purchased a number of HD DVDs. I have never considered HD DVD, but I just may take them up on this offer and pick-up a player this week. Heck, the better the HD DVD offers the faster BD prices will drop. I don't mind being caught in the middle of a price war...it's all good for us!:)

A huge mystery is why (11-years after the Telecommuncations Act of 1996 was enacted) can't I purchase a stupid cable set-top-box at the local Wally-Mart, Besty-Buy, Circuitous-City? Really! Sony had a wonderful HD DVR with free built-in TV Guide On Screen and Cablecard support, but they pulled it off the market more than a year and a half ago. The only other cable STB on the market is the Tivo Series3 which, after paying $600, then requires the owner to fork-over a monthly Tivo fee. Ugh! (sorry to get off-topic)

Last edited:
I read that on June 11th Sony is going to make a big announcment and i read they might be announcing a price lowering to $500 for the PS3.

Well, here it is, the 13th- and no $500 PS3. In fact, I haven't noticed any significant announcement at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)