Sony has to be joking!!

Let me fix your sig there...

Referring to Sony's latest decision...
Life is a series of disappointments, ending with one really big one.
PS3

You guys are a hoot. I have a Denon 3910 which I purchased for $1000 -- did not get a HDMI cable. I have a Dish 622DVR -- did not get a HDMI cable. I was looking at Denon's new HDMI receiver $1200 and it does not come with any HDMI cables.

Man, I know that lately Sony has not only put their foot in their mouth but also tried to swallow the leg attached but are you guys for real. Someone, anyone tell me what you purchased that uses HDMI that you received a HDMI cable from the manufacturer of said product? Anyone?:rolleyes:

JoeSp said:
You guys are a hoot. I have a Denon 3910 which I purchased for $1000 -- did not get a HDMI cable. I have a Dish 622DVR -- did not get a HDMI cable. I was looking at Denon's new HDMI receiver $1200 and it does not come with any HDMI cables.

Man, I know that lately Sony has not only put their foot in their mouth but also tried to swallow the leg attached but are you guys for real. Someone, anyone tell me what you purchased that uses HDMI that you received a HDMI cable from the manufacturer of said product? Anyone?:rolleyes:

YES, I want it all, and I want it free!

;)

brian24740 said:
Everyone wants something free ,no one forces you to buy the product you want it you will pay for it..It's there product they can make the prices..

Yea, I know, JoeSp is right, I'll be honest, I just hate Sony, and anytime I can get a slap in on them I'll take it, to be frank, I wouldn't buy their PS3 if they included every cable on the planet.

:)

JoeSp said:

Actually you are wrong about the 622... they gave me a HDMI cable, maybe it was just the installer. However you DID get component cables with the DVR and it was HD capable out of the box.

The point is the PS3 'premium' is NOT HD capable out of the box as $ony wants you to beleive with their corporate doublespeak. They aren't even going to provide component cables.

Do I have to point out the doublespeak in their FAQ with their online service too? Not to mention the HDMI 1.3 spec Sony claims it will use will need a new type of HDMI cable with a different sized connector. As stated in the 2nd paragraph here... HDMI 1.3 atricle. I think I smell a new market for more $100 cables or $50 adaptors to add onto the $599 pricetag.

Either $ony is lying about using the HDMI 1.3 spec or they are using doublespeak again to say that it will be using 1.2 and be compatible with 1.3 devices.

The bottom line is $ony won't give you something that is promised without buying accessories. They have been taking things away from the original announcement 2 years ago. What will be next? Will we need to buy the power cord too?

Uh, did the XBOX360 come with HD cables? Did the primo box come with a charger for the wireless controller? How much money does Xboxlive cost if you start downloading a game a month? Accessories and add-ons is where manufacturers make their money. Not on the systems. Most systems don't make money until the third year. Games, accessories and now downloadable content. That is where the money is -- not in the console.

And a ps for Mikley28 -- if you recieved a hdmi cable with your 622DVR it did not come from Dish -- the installer must have gave it to you. And btw -- the PS3 -- both units -- will be HD capable right out of the box up to 1080i with a simple set of componet cables.

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
Uh, did the XBOX360 come with HD cables? Did the primo box come with a charger for the wireless controller? How much money does Xboxlive cost if you start downloading a game a month? Accessories and add-ons is where manufacturers make their money. Not on the systems. Most systems don't make money until the third year. Games, accessories and now downloadable content. That is where the money is -- not in the console.

And a ps for Mikley28 -- if you recieved a hdmi cable with your 622DVR it did not come from Dish -- the installer must have gave it to you. And btw -- the PS3 -- both units -- will be HD capable right out of the box up to 1080i with a simple set of componet cables.

Yes the 360 premium does come with HD Component cables with a proprietary plug to the console.
No charger, but it DID come with batteries so you can use the controller and play some games for about 25 hours.
You can download free demos on the silver package and if you want the full game you pay for each. ($2-$10)

NO you are wrong again about the PS3. Look at the picture the link points to. NO component jacks at all. Consoles don't have the real estate on the back to put component jacks. Which is why they use proprietary plugs. See the jack on the left side about the middleof all the other jacks? Looks like you will need to buy a proprietary $ony cable. So your component cable isnt so simple after all. The only thing they are giving you is the composite A/V cable wich you DON'T get any HD from. So back to what i said... its NOT HD capable out of the box!

PS3 back

Here is Sony's PS3 site in Europe: http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/

Now when it loads and after you press 'CONTINUE' you can select -- chose 'SPECIFICATIONS' under which you can now choose 'AV OUTPUT' and then 'AV MULTI OUT' . The cable will come with the PS3. That gives you HD out of the box.

Last edited:
JoeSp said:
Here is Sony's PS3 site in Europe: http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/

Now when it loads and after you press 'CONTINUE' you can select -- chose 'SPECIFICATIONS' under which you can now choose 'AV OUTPUT' and then 'AV MULTI OUT' . The cable will come with the PS3. That gives you HD out of the box.

1. That's the name of the jack where you put the proprietary component cables that are not included.

2. That's Europe, this is not. Let me refer you to the US site. Where it says HD cables sold separately.

US PS3 Specs

Now look at the "AV OUTPUT" see the "**" on the left? Now read the bottom... In case you didn't see it I'll type it here and point it out.

** Video output in HD requires cables and an HD compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray discs can only output using and HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector..

Now, You buy it, take it home, open the box, and all you are getting is the yellow,red, and white cable that fits into the "A/V Multi Out" That's NOT HD. I would speculate that the "PS 3 component cables" will probably cost $50+ like the "PS2 component cables" did when they first came out. The additional equipment for the HDMI connector implies that you will either need some kind of HDMI 1.3 Adaptor or HDMI 1.3 cable which will probably sell for $50-$100 because they will be new.

What you have posted is not completely correct. Sony has already stated that the PS3 will not differ from region to region. There is only one unit being made for all areas(I know 2-a 20GB and 60GB). And the A/V multi out states support for a componet cable. And if you have to purchase that cable (which will probably be around $30 and only those with a HD set will purchase) you will be able to watch HD movies-- and yes you will not receive the HDMI cable (you do not get that with any HDMI product you purchase). I would hope that Sony changes their mind and at least includes a componet cable with the PS3 -- we shall see. You will be able to play BluRay movies over the componet connection with both the 20GB and 60GB units up to 1080i. The HD viewing statement is about viewing at 1080p which can only be done thru the HDMI connector. You can still view in 720p or 1080i thru the componet setup.

As a sidebar, I think the reason Sony waited for HDMI 1.3 is so that they could pass DolbyDigitalHD and DTSHD natively thru to a receiver that can decode these HD audio codecs. I expect to see Sony bring out a HDMI 1.3 receiver for use with the PS3 shortly after the launch. This would make the PS3 a fully functioning BluRay player.

Last edited:
They should at least include the component cable with the $599 model.

I think the component cables for the PS3 will be more like $50 (it will be an Official Sony product for the first few months) then the 3rd party licensee cables will come into play. Even though you think the cost of the cable will be $30, add that to the $599 price tag then add tax you are nearing $700. Then add a launch game for about $70. Kind of expensive to play a game isnt it?

I dont agree on your statement about people not having an HDTV wont buy the component cables. You still get a better picture with the component cables on a TV that has component inputs.

So we can agree that if you only purchase the console alone then you have a HD incapable console?

I have already seen an early release on a Best Buy ad (don't know how it made it to the internet and they have since pulled it) that listed several new games for the PS3 at $59.99 including Motorstorm and Warhawk (I will definately get these two). This seems to be the same price as new games for the XBOX360 ? I haven't seen anything in print to suggest that the games will be $70.

And if you purchase an XBOX360 alone without a game then all you have is a doorstop -- right?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
korsjs said:
nope, microsoft has xbox live and also includes a game on the hard drive.:)

Thanks Korsjs, I was just about to say that.

Joe, everyone at E3 was speculating the game prices at $70 because of the complexity coding for the Cell CPU and production of Blu-Ray discs. If you watched the E3 coverage on G4TV then you would have heard the price speculation. Some developers have changed their attitude towards the PS3 because of difficulty coding for it along with the price being as high as it is. They fear that not many people will be able to afford the thing! And honestly I have to agree with them.

2 years they announced a system with 2 hdmi outputs (HD out of the box for that matter), wi-fi, a 40GB hdd, ethernet, BT for controllers for around $500.

Today we now get 2 models. One stripped down with a 20 gb hdd, NO hdmi, and NO wi-fi for $499. The $599 model comes with a bigger hdd than announced, ONE hdmi output, and the rest of the features that were announced. BOTH however won't do HD unless you buy an extra Sony made accessory for the first few months. Basically they stealthly raised the price from what was announced and alot of Sony fanatics either can't see it or refuse to see it, thus defending Sony like they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts