Sony may increase Blu-ray shipments by 600%

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
..."the upcoming release of several blockbuster films on Blu-ray (14 or 15 of the top 20 films this year will be Blu-ray exclusives) would drive up sales"

Source

According to an article from Bloomberg News, Sony recently declared that it might increase shipments of Blu-ray players in the U.S. by 600% this year, since the company believes Blu-ray sales will climb rapidly following the exclusive release of several blockbuster films on the high-def DVD format in the near future.

Sony’s Blu-ray players have faced competition for the new high-definition DVD market from rival products, such as the HD DVD player backed by Toshiba, since its release. However with four of the eight major film studios now backing Blu-ray exclusively and only one (Universal) supporting HD DVD exclusively, Sony has a major advantage.

According to senior vice president Randy Waynick, last year Sony shipped less than 100,000 Blu-ray players in the U.S. but we can now expect to see “growth in multiples of five or six times", resulting in the release of up to 600,000 in 2007. The actual number shipped will depend entirely on how competitive Blu-ray becomes but Wayniick is confident that the upcoming release of several blockbuster films on Blu-ray (14 or 15 of the top 20 films this year will be Blu-ray exclusives) would drive up sales.

It would be a mistake. Just 600% more standalone BD players sitting on the shelves. Ive never seen any B&B store that was out of stock for BD players.

According to an article from Bloomberg News, Sony recently declared that it might increase shipments of Blu-ray players in the U.S. by 600% this year, since the company believes Blu-ray sales will climb rapidly following the exclusive release of several blockbuster films on the high-def DVD format in the near future.

"Climb rapidly"? :confused:

But I thought Sony already said back in January that the "format war was over". :rolleyes:

And Sony sure is fond of saying "shipped" instead of sold. They must have one hell of a warehouse somewhere.

I wonder which 14 or 15 films. And are the other 5 or 6 HD DVD exclusive or dual releases?

I wonder which 14 or 15 films. And are the other 5 or 6 HD DVD exclusive or dual releases?

Yeah, they're pretty vague about that, and about defines a "blockbuster".

I'm sure they're meaning Spiderman 3 & Pirates of the Caribbean 3, but in looking a Yahoo movies's Box office reports, its looks to me a majority of this year's "blockbusters" will be coming ot both formats -

Ocean's Thirteen Warner Bros - both formats
Shrek the Third Paramount - both formats
Disturbia Paramount - coming Aug. 7 on both formats
Wild Hogs Sony - blu-ray only
300 Warner Bros. - coming July 30 on both
Blades of Glory Paramount- both formats
Hot Fuzz Focus/Universal - HD DVD only
Teenage Mutant Turtles Warner Bros - both

So, yeah, I'd kinda like to see their list of "15 out of 20 blockbusters coming only to blu-ray".
:rolleyes:

So, yeah, I'd kinda like to see their list of "15 out of 20 blockbusters coming only to blu-ray".
:rolleyes:

I believe they are referring to the 20 #1 movies Sony pictures had last year, not the top 20 movies of the year. Having the movie hit #1 for a weekend seems to be what they are talking about.

Hmmmm. OK- I'd still like to see titles.

But I suspect that before Turkey Day we'll see all sorts of blockbusters out in high def.

The reality is that 90% of the public has no idea there is a format war going on. Sales of both BD and HD DVD remain cold and the short isle at the Best Buy/Circuity City is usually empty...and the odds are pretty good someone looking at one of these formats is familiar with SatGuys, AVSForum, etc. Even if sales of BD/HD DVD were to tripple over the next 12-months then what?...total next generation sales will have maybe 2% of the overall DVD market?

I have PS3/BD but have been considering picking up a Costco $249.99 Toshiba D2 w/5 free movies. I haven't bittten because the player is 1080i and the movie selection (both formats for that matter) hasn't convinced me to fork over another $250 on a new technology.

Go ahead and bite. You're not going to tell the difference between 1080i or p unless you have a really big screen (70+ inches)
Other than the free movies, there's not a lot of content on HD DVD that I want to see or wont' be available on BD. Plus, I just reviewed my list of electronic and movie pruchases this and though I should give it a rest.

Nothing is selling here!

The reality is that 90% of the public has no idea there is a format war going on. Sales of both BD and HD DVD remain cold and the short isle at the Best Buy/Circuity City is usually empty...and the odds are pretty good someone looking at one of these formats is familiar with SatGuys, AVSForum, etc. Even if sales of BD/HD DVD were to tripple over the next 12-months then what?...total next generation sales will have maybe 2% of the overall DVD market?

I have PS3/BD but have been considering picking up a Costco $249.99 Toshiba D2 w/5 free movies. I haven't bittten because the player is 1080i and the movie selection (both formats for that matter) hasn't convinced me to fork over another $250 on a new technology.

In Reno, NV, Nothing is selling (probably at least 90% of the public could care less even if they knew). Costco HD-DVD even at $250 does not seem to have moved more than 2 units (I talk to the electronics guy there all the time) and No store even carries any format for rental. Mail order does not turn me on either.

I have been absent for quite a while (traveling) and I am thinking that NEITHER format will be a consumer "Must have" until pricing is below $200 and even then, they are competing with under $50 upconverting players, bad as they are....I am staying with my 59i Pioneer Elite which does a beautiful job upconverting for the foreseeable future. Heck, this years movies have been pretty awful anyway IMHO....I hardly even rent any more...disappointed!

Costco now has a Panasonic 37" plasma 720P native + 1080i for about $800! I guess there will be a flood of 1080P Plasmas due any time now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts