Sony Pictures announces it will not downconvert over analog outputs!

Wdam33

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Louisville, KY
Just saw this over at slashdot...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060314-6377.html

With the imminent war over which format will be the successor to the much-loved DVD about to get underway, Sony is throwing a bone to owners of some older HDTVs. At a technical briefing last week, Sony said that it will not use the Image Constraint Token to downsample the video output on analog HDTVs.

Edit...

To make this clear...this is Sony Pictures Studios. They will not use ICT. The option is still in the Blue-Ray standard and other studios may use it. Big question is...how long will this last?

-Mark

Last edited:
Valid question but I think the eanswer is if we don't buy those discs, we can force them to eventually drop it.

Last edited:
Sony has been keenly aware of the downrezzing issue since the vast majority of JApanese HDTV's lack a digital input. Couple this with the jumpstart and lower price of HD-DVD and it's easy to see why Sony Studios would want 6 million HDTV owners in the US with analog HD inputs on their side.

The HD-DVD camp has pursued DRM with voracity.

It is rumored on avsforum and others that Disney, Fox, and Paramount won't be flagging content as ICT. That means for both HD-DVD and BluRay. The boxes don't downrez unless the content is flagged as ICT.

Also a glimmer of hope for Blu-Ray is that Japan and US are both the same region code. In Japan it is against the law to have ICT or anything like it, so you will be able to buy a japanese player that will not implement ICT, and play American movies on it.

sampatterson said:
Also a glimmer of hope for Blu-Ray is that Japan and US are both the same region code. In Japan it is against the law to have ICT or anything like it, so you will be able to buy a japanese player that will not implement ICT, and play American movies on it.

I read somewhere that HD DVD would not have region coding because the copywrite protection is so much better and other issies. I'll try and find where I read that.

Heres the link. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/08/euro_hd-dvd_roll-out/

Not sure about the US machines.

Last edited:
sampatterson said:
It is rumored on avsforum and others that Disney, Fox, and Paramount won't be flagging content as ICT. That means for both HD-DVD and BluRay. The boxes don't downrez unless the content is flagged as ICT.

Oops.. did they have a bit of an oversight there?

teamerickson said:
The title to this topic should be changed. It's very misleading. Is the author in advertising?:)
Corrected.

I can imagine in 2 years from now, once the market has gobbled up HD-DVD and BLU-RAY, that all the studios will downcovert analog outputs.

Remember the studios were the ones pushing for downcoversion in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)