split hdmi on 622 and lost audio

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Like the topic says, I put a passive HDMI splitter on the hdmi output of my 622 but lost the sound on both TVs though the picture remained OK. Even unplugging one TV didn't bring the sound back to the other. I had to disconnect and reconnect it also before the sound returned.

Is this a known "bug"? Is there a sound setting (a la PCM - Dolby or whatever) that solves this? Could it be TV dependent?

Hand shake meaning a synchronization of the 2 devices being hooked to each other via HDMI. The passive splitter may drop signal enough to prevent both devices from communicating properly as P Smith suggests.
The puzzled response by me was because I had asked:
Are you sure it's possible to solve this problem with passive splitters?
and I didn't understand if his post meant "yes" or "no" or "maybe" or "I don't know".

Even with your explanation I don't know if either he or you are sure it is possible to solve this problem with passive splitters or not.

Your posts are short of technical details - no model name, no manufacturer, no pictures of the splitter; same time you asking pretty complicated things.

The puzzled response by me was because I had asked: and I didn't understand if his post meant "yes" or "no" or "maybe" or "I don't know".

Even with your explanation I don't know if either he or you are sure it is possible to solve this problem with passive splitters or not.

I can't guarantee what your trying to do will work with a passive splitter. I do know there are several active HDMI splitters on the market that would work, but at a much higher cost.

Your posts are short of technical details - no model name, no manufacturer, no pictures of the splitter; same time you asking pretty complicated things.
It's a passive splitter. There are no technical details. I think you're not aware of what passive splitters are. That's OK. It was just the alluding to HDCP that threw me for a bit. If the 622's HDCP doesn't like two HDMI devices then only a much more expensive active splitter is the only solution. One I'm not about to spend the money on at this point and buying more passive splitters would be a waste of money.

Passive splitter probably will not work with two displays at the same time, no hand shake on one branch.

Turn both displays off. Connect both to splitter. Turn one display on. Turn on second display. If this does not work nothing will with a passive splitter.

Run component to one display.

Passive splitter probably will not work with two displays at the same time, no hand shake on one branch.

Turn both displays off. Connect both to splitter. Turn one display on. Turn on second display. If this does not work nothing will with a passive splitter.

Run component to one display.
Sounds right but the interesting thing is that the picture works on both screens. It's the sound that cuts off on both TVs. That's the odd thing that prompted me to start this thread.

Component is already in use. This setup attempt was for a third screen.

I think I had heard that component was easier to split but two of the three TVs are more than 20 feet away and I worry about signal quality and the HDMI cables are so much easier to snake room to room.

I guess I'll just plug-unplug each set for the time being until I feel like or even really need to run all three at the same time and buy one of those several hundred dollar active splitters but even then it's my understanding that HDCP can end the party if broadcasters force Dish to use it. Then that active splitter would become a high priced boat anchor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)