Splitters, two boxes, and media center

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edinnj

Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
:confused: I know this is probably a very basic and dumb question but I need help from someone out there who knows...I have direct TV in 3 rooms. Two of the rooms are regular and one is HDTV. All this coming from one dish. I got a media center PC and wanted to set it up with it's own separate sattelite box so I took one from one of the other rooms and brought it in next to the HD box. Then I used a regular garden-variety cable splitter to run sattelite to both boxes side by side - one for the media center and one for straight viewing through the HDTV box. Ever since I did that I get "Searching for sattelite signal" or "Channel not available" on several channels. Is there a special kind of splitter I need to do this or is it even do-able??

As you have found out, you cannot use a splitter for sat. tv. You need to run a direct line from the sattelite dish in order to add another box

shappyss said:
As you have found out, you cannot use a splitter for sat. tv. You need to run a direct line from the sattelite dish in order to add another box

Or stackers and Destackers. Those are some $$$$ though.

I have a similar setup with three TVs (with one HD), but I have a Windows XP MCE on a non-HD box. I just use two different outputs in the MCE setup, where the Coax output goes to the non-HD TV and the S-video and audio cables go to the Windows XP MCE system. That way, I can record programs using MCE and it works great. Keep in mind that the MCE PC and the TV will display the same program/channel.

Rob.

Status
Please reply by conversation.