Splitting Signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sdankar

Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Hi Gurus,

I am a newcomer to this forum as well as to Satellite TV. Recently I switched from Cable to Dish. I have DVR 625 installed. Well it's quite a change from migrating from cable to DBS. I am still getting used to of messages like acquiring signal etc. while watching programs. I am planning to add a tv point in the basement. The coax from basement to outside of the house is present. The installers did not connect it as they were doing only 2 room installation. I have one super dish and one dish 500 installed (but there is no 500 logo on the dish, the installer verbally told me that it is dish 500). There is one coax run from the DPP44 switch to the point where it connects to the two existing coax coming from the house. The installer used a Holland Diplexer to connect these coax. The coax from switch goes to SAT terminal and the coaxes from the house go to Input and UHF/VHF terminals of the diplexer. The 3rd coax coming from basement is dangling out in the vicinity. My question to the experts is -

Can I change the Holland Diplexer with a 3 or 4 way splitter (2.3 MHz) and still get the reception inside? If not, what is the way to do it? I am only planning to create an additional TV point in the basement.

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome sdankar! Sorry, but my feeble mind is not connecting on this one based on your description. A diplexer is not the same as a splitter. The diplexer routes high frequency and low(er) frequency signals present on one cable to its input to 2 different directions on its two outputs. This is commonly done when you want to combine both sat. downconverted signals (~2150MHz) with OTA TV signals (up to ~550MHz) into a single down lead. One diplexer at the top combines them and another at the bottom splits them again. I assume you want to feed your TV signal that's destined for the basement TV back into the same coax that's coming from your switch. You would still need diplexers to do that, not a splitter. (And they would need to be "DPP compatible".) Other than that I can't help much. Perhaps you can sketch your system and we can be more accurate. Here is also a resource that contains a lot of techical information and some links that show some common configutations. Perhaps you can find something here that matches your situation. (Credits to TNGTony and others!)...

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/

Do not swap that diplexer out. What you want to do is get a short jumper, hook it to the "in" on your splitter, take the uhf/vhf cable loose from whichever diplexor you need to, hook it and the cable to the basement into the 'outs' of the splitter. Take the other end of the jumper and hook it up to the now vacant uhf/vhf port.

Now your TV2 remote will work 2 tvs. You can buy an extra one from dish so you don't have to move the one you already have around.

If you gain static in the pictures, try a different splitter first, and if that don't fix it, swap the jumper.

Should take you about 5 minutes, assuming you know which diplexor you want to hook up to.

sdankar - Here's another resource that might help...

Attachments

• DPP44 - Distribution Example9.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 422
Thanks Guys for your suggestions. My installtion is similar but not exactly the same as shown on the DPP44 - Distribution Example9.pdf file attached by Bhelms. I will take a close look again today evening about the wiring and update you guys.

Sunny

Do not remove the diplexer, the easiest thing to do is take the cable off the outside diplexer from the uhf port and connect that to the inport on a splitter and then connect the additional lines to the out ports of the splitter. You will also need to make sure that the additional tv's are on the same channel as the second tv is now and on the same modulation for antena or cable. Diplexors are not splitters as they allow a coax line to effectively become a two way conduit for two diferent types of signal to travel along the same route side by side or in opposite directions smoothly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts