St. Louis, MO. What's there....

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
Since Charter's site is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lame, what's out in
St. Louis, MO for broadband. I'll probably colo my servers at my new employers office, where there is tons of bandwidth, and they're fine with that. So, I'll be looking for just standard Residential broadband.

What's out in STL, and what kind of pricing can I expect?

Thanks, All!

LER

thanks. I'm not sure whether I want to stick with DSL or go with Cable. Cable will be faster, I think. Opinions from STL locals?

well, here in Las Vegas, we have Sprint DSL and COX Cable. I have Sprint DSL, since it takes 10 dollars off of my E* bill, but anyways, if I were you, I would go with DSL, I have compared DSL to my friend's cable, and mine is faster, and the cable always corrupted there computer. DSL is always fast, cable can vary, depending on how many people in the city are using it at the same time, the speed you signed up for, how far away you live from the cable office, etc.

SBC's the ILEC for St. Louis. I've had SBC DSL for a few years and they're not bad, better then Comcast when I've had them in for side to side comparisons. A side benefit is that over at www.dslreports.com there's a SBC Direct forum where some SBC tech's hang our and will work on problems vs. having to go through the level 1 robots reading the script, they've come in handly a few times. Also, if you have an address and phone installed at the new site they can do a line test and tell you what speeds you can expect based on line quality and distance from the DSLAM.

I've always had DSL (Used to work for an ISP, and had VZ DSL). Have resold SBC DSL at the moment (at 384/256) because of $$. With the new job, I won't have to get the IP's routed to the house, so standard RESI DSL would work. I want to talk to folks and see what the cable speeds are, as well as the DSL speeds. Also if VoIP would make sense as the ONLY landline (which would rule out DSL).

I appreciate all the suggestions.

I use Vonage even though I had DSL, which means also a SBC POTS line. Having just the POTS service runs me about $18/month. If I went with Comcast they'd charge me an extra $15/month for not having cable TV service which really makes things a wash, don't know if you plan on Charter TV and if they also hit up internet only customers with an extra charge.

Either way, I keep Vonage because if I took the unlimited calling and all the features that I'd have to pay SBC for I couldn't afford them.

You might want to check out http://www.dslreports.com/archive to see what folks have received on speed tests for the zip code you're moving to.

I don't know the Zip yet :(.

I will definitely keep my Lingo as well (just may dump the Dallas number, or add a local St. Louis number to it :) )

We'll see :)

Thanks again all. :)

LER

lvkewlkid said:
how far away you live from the cable office, etc.

Distance from the headend in a cable plant has nothing to do with cable modems. :) It does effect DSL because of copper wire attenuation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)