Stand-Alone HD Package available Feb 1st

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
The stand-alone HD package will be available Feb 1st for $29.99 without locals, $34.99 with locals. This is NOT qualified programming. I am not sure if they will charge that $6.00 HD enabling fee in addition to this but my guess is yes which would make it $35.99 without locals and $40.99 with locals respectively to the ViP211/411/622 receivers.

I have a question. If purchase a VIP 211 receiver, sign up for the current HD pack at $9.99/month (free for the first 6 months) and the Voom pack for $5.00 extra, and get it activated without any other SD package before Feb 1, will Dish change the price on me to the new Feb 1 HD structure? The current HD pack/Voom add is still listed on Dish's site. If I agree to this will I be locked in for at least 6 months?

Thanks

I have the same question. I'm currently an HD pack/Voom subscriber with an 811. If I locked in the HD pack price by getting the annual deal $109.89 before Feb. 1, would I get the new HD (non-Voom) channels if I get one of the new receivers? I'll probably just drop Voom as I don't really watch it much.

Stargazer said:
The stand-alone HD package will be available Feb 1st for $29.99 without locals, $34.99 with locals. This is NOT qualified programming. I am not sure if they will charge that $6.00 HD enabling fee in addition to this but my guess is yes....

Can you please provide your source/link for this info? For current "HD Only" subs this could mean a $16/mo increase to get ~7 additional channels! Pretty steep IYAM.

Hammer

Sound like this deal will not be worth at all. $40.99 could buy you lots of programming on cable including all the basic HD (without voom, of course).

For current HD subs who will be making no changes, they cannot possibly start charging for channels that we do not get or can they?

Thanks for the link Sparkman. That answered my question. They're going to allow me to keep getting the package I have today, but no new channels unless I upgrade to one of the new over-priced packages. Sounds like it's about time to kick the Dish pig and go entirely with 4dtv.

Whoa Nelly! Cue giant sucking sound coming from Dish 811.

HD only increases by $16, including the increase in the access fee. And at $29.99, there is still the requirement of the access fee. DISH Family at a lower $19.99 does not require the access fee. This is unfair!

If the new price includes new HD channels as they are introduced, then that's fine. However, considering how expensive the new HD stand alone package is, there should be no access fee. The Great Wall package is $29.99 and no access fee is required.

HD price increase is at least 100% for HD Pak and Voom only subs and 200% for HD Pak only subs.

It is my understanding that if you get a new HD receiver you are required to maintain the HD pack to keep the receiver. if it is leased.

Last edited:
The way I read it is that current subs to the HD Pak will continue to receive the 5 HD channels for $9.99. No price increase unless you switch over to the new HD package.

Your current MPEG-2 HD receivers will not have the $6 per month HD Enabling fee, and you can still keep your current HD packages that you have if you have the $10 or $15 HD packages. This only affects those that will have the MPEG-4 ViP receivers.

I wonder if you can keep leasing the MPEG-4 ViP HD receiver without the HD package if you pay the $6 a month. Some may choose to drop the HD package at a later time and Dish Network may not want to swap receivers all of the time especially seeing that they want to swap everyone out to MPEG-4 later on.

hiker said:
The way I read it is that current subs to the HD Pak will continue to receive the 5 HD channels for $9.99. No price increase unless you switch over to the new HD package.

And there is the rub! An existing subscriber can't get HD locals w/o doubling the monthly cost of the HD-Pak, even though the subscriber is already paying an extra $5/month to get SD locals. Hasn't anybody noticed that E* is sliding in one hell of price increase under the guise of an expansion of HD offerings?

Unless I stand pat w/ my Dish 811 and 5 channel HD-Pak, my television will suck. Think E* would then put it in a "TV sucks" commercial? Didn't think so.

They are trying to make it look like a good thing that you still have your MPEG-2 HD receiver while at the same time being able to get a bit more money if you have the MPEG-4 receiver.

Stargazer said:
Your current MPEG-2 HD receivers will not have the $6 per month HD Enabling fee, and you can still keep your current HD packages that you have if you have the $10 or $15 HD packages. This only affects those that will have the MPEG-4 ViP receivers.
I wonder if you can keep leasing the MPEG-4 ViP HD receiver without the HD package if you pay the $6 a month. Some may choose to drop the HD package at a later time and Dish Network may not want to swap receivers all of the time especially seeing that they want to swap everyone out to MPEG-4 later on.

Look at it this way...it's called an "HD ENABLING fee". You're absolutely right about the fact that they want everyone...HD and SD...to have MPEG-4 eventually. There won't be "SD Receivers" and "HD Receivers" anymore...just MPEG-4. Everyone will be getting the 211 (or a future equivalent).

I bet these receivers can have their HD outputs disabled. Or perhaps they can even knock the componant outputs down to 480p. They are designed to downconvert automatically...no reason they couldn't direct the downcoverted signal to the HD outputs. Remember, in the future, there won't be separate SD and HD LIL channels. If you want to see them in HD, you'll have to subscribe to a DISH HD package, or pay the $6.

Remember, the key to all this is that if you want to keep your current level of service, there will be no increase (other than the usual yearly zing). Otherwise, these increases and fees are designed to entice you to their new SD/HD packages.

kenny911 said:
Comcast doesn't charge for HD. They only charge $5 to rent the box. Not sure what you're talking about.
In my area, that only gets you the networks. For ESPNHD, INHD, INHD2, DiscoveryHD you need a digital package, minimum $9.95/mo more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)