Stand-Alone HD Package available Feb 1st

Stargazer said:
$30-35 + $6 HD Enabling Fee? $36-$41 total plus any DVR and additional outlet fees that may apply?

It is got to be wrong.
I'd assume the $30-35 value includes all the fees.
The current rate is $10 (HD) +$5 (VOOM) + $5 (Access fee)= $20/month.
My assumption is the the incoming schema will look like:
$20 (HD) + $5 (VOOM) + $5(Access fee) =$30 +$5(locals, if needed)= $35
Correct me, if I'm wrong.

This is interesting...
I'm a current sub with dish811 with HDpak($10) + VOOM 10($5).
I use the tuner in 811 to receive all my local HD channels using my own
local antenna. (Dish has nothing to do with this).
From what I'm reading in this forum, I'd probably be better off keeping
my current arrangement.
I have no need to sub to their new HD locals packages since I already receive
my own. It seems if I ask to swap for a 211, my prices are likely to go up.
How much I'm not sure...
Anyone care to comment ?

There is a $5 access fee if you do not choose a minimal package. Maybe its $30+$5 access fee+$6 HD enabling fee +$5 for locals = $46 total. I don't think Dish Network would think that they could pull that off.

hiker said:
In my area, that only gets you the networks. For ESPNHD, INHD, INHD2, DiscoveryHD you need a digital package, minimum $9.95/mo more.

Yeah but I already have it... I just dishnetwork for internationals. Not sure where he got the "HD is going up 80%".

Not to mention there is no HD only package. You have to have a basic package.

The rate increases I was referring were apparently only for Commercial customers and do not occur until Feb. 1, but there may be some additional coming for residential.

Stargazer said:
There is a $5 access fee if you do not choose a minimal package. Maybe its $30+$5 access fee+$6 HD enabling fee +$5 for locals = $46 total. I don't think Dish Network would think that they could pull that off.

I just spent 29 minutes on the phone with the Indian call for Dish Network. Those guys are so frustrating because they keep repating what is written on index cards or something hoping that what they say will include an answer. Anything outside of the programmed response requires a lot of hassle.

Anyway, the answer is that because the HD Pack is not qualified, they still add on the $6/mo access fee!

Think about this for a moment about the guy that wants only the HD stuff in addition to his OTA HD locals.... The difference between AT60 and Bronze is $20. Let's call that the true price of the new HD Pack, up from $15 before they added the new channels.

He has to pay $29.99 + $5 for locals (cuz he is extorted for guide data) + $6 for the DVR fee + $5 for the access fee.

The grand total is $46! What is the breakdown of it? $20 for programming, $26 for miscelaneous fees! What a crock! How can they possibly expect people to pay that!

I think I am going to start calling consumer advocates locally and nationally to do my best to steer people AWAY from Dish Network!

nospam said:
It is got to be wrong.
I'd assume the $30-35 value includes all the fees.
The current rate is $10 (HD) +$5 (VOOM) + $5 (Access fee)= $20/month.
My assumption is the the incoming schema will look like:
$20 (HD) + $5 (VOOM) + $5(Access fee) =$30 +$5(locals, if needed)= $35
Correct me, if I'm wrong.

$29.99 rate for new HD Package plus a $6.00 access fee equals $35.99 bill without locals.

Now you guys are starting to get the point. It is going to cost a bit more than you think to get HD only in an MPEG-4 receiver, although there is going to be a bit more HD content than there was before. Since the Family package is $20 but the access fee is $5 and DVR Enabling fee is $6 that is a total of $11 in access fees to the HD package. I do not believe that the Family Package is eligible programming, that AT60 is where eligible programming begins.

Last edited:
jsanders said:
The grand total is $46! What is the breakdown of it? $20 for programming, $26 for miscelaneous fees! What a crock! How can they possibly expect people to pay that!

Public Theft is what I call it. :D

Stargazer said:
Now you guys are starting to get the point. It is going to cost a bit more than you think to get HD only in an MPEG-4 receiver, although there is going to be a bit more HD content than there was before. Since the Family package is $20 but the access fee is $5 and DVR Enabling fee is $6 that is a total of $11 in access fees to the HD package. I do not believe that the Family Package is eligible programming, that AT60 is where eligible programming begins.

According to the info Scott has in his Dish Info thread, Dish Family is eligible programing. According to the E* press release Dish Family is also available with all promotions. The access fee is going up to $1 to $6 on 2/1.

I believe one of the big reasons that the stand alone HD pack is so much money is that E* is trying to discourage people from getting it, E* makes more money if they can get most people to take at least the Dish HD Bronze package. Even though E* may try to discourage people from taking the stand alone HD pack this way, they are the only multi-channel subscription services that even offers HD without having to buy a basic package of some kind, try doing this with D* or cable. And after all, E* is in business to make money.

Still not quit clear.
I understand a point for a new HD only subscription. They'll have to pay almost twice of the current rate.
What about the current subscribers?
They'll continue to pay the current rate of around $20 as long as they use their current mpeg2 receivers.
The confusing part is a situation, when a current subscriber decides to buy its own 211(622) or whatever MPEG4 receiver.
Will the current rate remain the same? Or it will jump?
Another possible scenario. A current subscriber decides to keep their own receiver and current HD only mpeg2 subscription. In about a year Charlie will pull the plug on mpeg2 HD programming. I doubt, they have a legal option to tell to current HD only subscribers -"go to hell". They will have to provide mpeg4 receivers free of charge? Or not?
What will be the HD package rate in that case?
A lot of questions.

It is odd they way they list the stand alone hd pack. If it isn't considered a basic package why do they list it with a local price? Its like listing HBO and HBO w/ locals

If the Family Package is eligible programming for the HD package then why did they not put it in the Facts Blasts or the Charlie Chat as such? Perhaps they are just not wanting to promote the Family Package much with the HD package. If that is the case then it would make much more sense for some to just pay $9 more to get the Family Package than paying a $5 access fee plus a $6 HD Enabling (dumba**) fee. I almost forgot, additional outlet fees are $6 instead of $5 for the MPEG-4 receivers.

Stargazer said:
If the Family Package is eligible programming for the HD package then why did they not put it in the Facts Blasts or the Charlie Chat as such? Perhaps they are just not wanting to promote the Family Package much with the HD package. If that is the case then it would make much more sense for some to just pay $9 more to get the Family Package than paying a $5 access fee plus a $6 HD Enabling (dumba**) fee. I almost forgot, additional outlet fees are $6 instead of $5 for the MPEG-4 receivers.
What would they call it? Nickel? Tin? Cheap alloy? They listed bonze, silver, and gold, but no package with the family pack and the HD Pack. Some of the stuff in the HD Pack isn't exactly family oriented, maybe that is why they don't include any HD in it. They didn't mention an HD pack that didn't have the words "stand alone" in front of it. It doesn't appeaer you can have the Family Pack + HD Pack.

jsanders said:
What would they call it? Nickel? Tin? Cheap alloy? They listed bonze, silver, and gold, but no package with the family pack and the HD Pack. Some of the stuff in the HD Pack isn't exactly family oriented, maybe that is why they don't include any HD in it. They didn't mention an HD pack that didn't have the words "stand alone" in front of it. It doesn't appeaer you can have the Family Pack + HD Pack.
I don't think you can add the HD pack to the family pack either.....but they should allow us to do so. I would go for the family pack with the Hd added on if they let me....but they want more green. I'm staying with what I have until they shut it down.

vinnyv07 said:
I don't think you can add the HD pack to the family pack either.....but they should allow us to do so. I would go for the family pack with the Hd added on if they let me....but they want more green. I'm staying with what I have until they shut it down.

Why not? Why even have a stand a lone HD pack if their is nothing you can add it too. I am almost 100% certain if you wanted to add the $29.99 HD pack to Dish Family, E* would certainly be willing to take your $49.98/mo or $54.98/mo w/locals to do so. Of course you would only save one penny a month from the cost of DishHD Bronze, for only 2/3 of the channels, however at least the SD channels would be more family friendly and come from all 3 AT packs. The $29.99 HD pack could also be added to the Great Wall package, and the Internationals that require the $6 access fee, which you only pay once.

As far as Dish Latino goes, E* has already said that HD versions of these will be announced soon, I am sure these will likely be call Dish Latino HD Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and will simply replace AT60 w/ DL, AT120 w/DL2, AT180 w/DLM, AEP w LEP and will simply be a $20 premium over normal DL, DL2, DLM and LEP. This will leave only Dish Family, Great Wall and other Internationale's to add the $19.99/mo standalone HD pack.

Chris Freeland said:
Why not? Why even have a stand a lone HD pack if their is nothing you can add it too.

The reason is because it is called "Stand alone" HD Pack! What do those two words mean to you?? If you add the family pack to it, it isn't "standing alone" anymore! If they wanted you to have the family Pack and the HD Pack, they would have called it something like, "Family Pack with not so Family oriented HD Pack". Just think about it for a moment, and you will get it.

Chris Freeland said:
According to the info Scott has in his Dish Info thread, Dish Family is eligible programing. According to the E* press release Dish Family is also available with all promotions. The access fee is going up to $1 to $6 on 2/1.
I believe one of the big reasons that the stand alone HD pack is so much money is that E* is trying to discourage people from getting it, E* makes more money if they can get most people to take at least the Dish HD Bronze package. Even though E* may try to discourage people from taking the stand alone HD pack this way, they are the only multi-channel subscription services that even offers HD without having to buy a basic package of some kind, try doing this with D* or cable. And after all, E* is in business to make money.

Umm, just because they are the only one that offers it without having to sub to another package doesn't make it better. At comcast all you have to is sub to limited cable wich is $13.85/month and then sub to digital plus wich is $15.99/month and you get the hd channels included. Add in another $5/month for the set top upgrade and for $35/month you get all the hd along with a quite a bit of regular programming in digital.

Or you can add another $5 on top of that and get the hd dvr. You already get the standard digital settop included so to upgrade is $5 for the hd or $10 for the hddvr. Still better than what dish is doing. And you don't have to fork out anything up front and you have no commitment peroid.

Right now every dish or directv sub can get the above I mentioned as well as hbo and all the basic cable for $34.99 for 12 months. Upgrade to dvr for $10/month so for $45 you get everything including hbo and all the hd and vod.

Cable cards are free in my area as well. I have two.

Another thing I noticed. Dish has hdnet and hdnet movies. Comcast has inhd and inhd2. I have already watched the inhd channels more in the last week than I have watched hdnet with dish the last 6 months. They have The New Twighlight Zone on inhd and I think it is way cool.

Last edited:
Bottom line for me is that they priced me out of getting the new HD ch's alone like I do now for 19.99. I always thought it was a very good deal for their HD ...better than what Directv offers. But now I see that unless they change their offering , this will be the last programming that I receive from Dish Network. I'm not upgrading to a package so I can lease and I'm not going to buy a 211 for over 350. I'm hoping I get this year out of my 811 and then I will reactivate whatever direct is offering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)