Stand-Alone HD Package?

hiker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2005
SF Bay Area
I have a 6000 and the old HD package. Since D* is adding TNT-HD, I just canceled and tried to get some info from the CSR about the new Stand-Alone HD Package that's mentioned here. After talking to 2 different CSR's who supposed asked a supervisor, they know nothing about the new HD package for $29.99. My understanding was that to get the HD package, if it even exists, is that you have to own a MPEG-4 receiver. I'm willing to purchase the VIP211 and install Dish1000 on my own but not if I can't get all the HD channels without paying for DishHD Bronze.

What E* offered me was a lease pakage, $49.99 up front for receiver and $55.99/mo. for DishHD Bronze. I said no thanks.

What's up with the Stand-Alone HD Package? Not available yet or has E* canceled it?

There's another thread here started by someone else in the same boat as you.

First, you don't have to "own" a new MPEG4 receiver to get the HD pack. You do have to have one, so you have to pay $6 if you were to lease it.

The HD pack is $29.99 a month.

It's a "non-qualified" package, which means they have an excuse to charge you a $6 "HD enabling fee" per month.

So we're up to $42 per month so far. Oh, and locals are another $6. That's $48 per month. (There's some disagreement regarding the locals charge if Dish isn't serving your market with HD locals; I don't know if not paying it means you don't get the locals EPG, or you're actually blocked from getting antenna HD served through your 211. Not a big deal if your TV has an ATSC tuner.)

As you said, for another $7 you get Dish HD Bronze anyway, with their 60 SD channels.

It's pretty apparent that Dish is using their pricing structure to encourage HD customers to subscribe to their SD packages. I actually don't find anything too scandalous about this. It's apparent that the new MPEG4 boxes cost money to make, and Dish has a right to earn their money back. In my area, Comcast lets you get HD locals for $12 a month with no DVR (the stuff I could get with an OTA antenna anyway), but if I wanted their DVR or any premium channels like ESPN-HD I would need to get a $65 digital cable package with a bunch of SD channels. And Comcast absolutely will not activate any DVR that you buy somewhere like EBay; with them, you lease or you leave.

Airblair said:
As you said, for another $7 you get Dish HD Bronze anyway, with their 60 SD channels.
Thanks.
It's more than $7. It's $13 since it's $55.99 for Bronze HD including lease fee, not including locals.
Is there a code or link to a E* web page that shows the Stand-Alone HD Package? I can't find anything on E*'s web site and the CSR's are clueless.

Sorry but AirBlair said hardly anything correct.

First you DO have to own an mpeg4 receiver to get the HD only pack.

Second the fee for having just the HD Only pack is a $6 Access fee

Third adding locals to the HD Only pack is another $5

So the cost is $40.99 for HD Only Pack w/ locals

BFG said:

First you DO have to own an mpeg4 receiver to get the HD only pack.

Yes.....BFG is correct....Dish won't let you lease a M4 HD receiver without subbing to a qualified programming pack. HD only pack does not qualify for the lease option.

Thanks BFG.
How come no one has posted on this board that they have subbed to this Stand-Alone HD package?

I couldn't locate any post that confirmed and the CSR's I talked to couldn't find it and nothing on E* web site.

Is it a phantom package? Or maybe E* hasn't implemented it yet?

Last edited:
the package exists, it's hidden inside the customer support section, under the hd programming page.

I think no one has said they have it because most people have been doing the leased HD upgrades, so they wouldn't be able to do HD only

BFG said:

I stand corrected regarding having to own the receiver. And the locals are $5, not $6.

But I was right about everything else. I'll direct my thoughts towards BFG's snot-nosed attitude in a private message to the moderators.

Hiker,

You are absolutely right. I had the exact same experience as you. Everyone is talking about an HD stand alone pack and quoting the pricing but when you call, they don't know anything about it (including supervisors). I only have LOS to the 61.5 satellite so this is my only feasible option with Dish. But I have to say that the economics aren't necessarily that attractive especially if I were have to buy the receiver. I don't need locals but it still seems that we are talking $36/month. And Fios is coming soon to my area and I can get their HD programming and other programming along with an HD DVR for $47/month. Why would I want to pay for a new HD receiver and spend almost the same amount through Dish and only get the HD channels? Their new pricing scheme just doesn't make sense to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)