Standard reponse from Dish about HD quality?

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
here's an e-mail I received today

Hello,

Thank you for your E-mail and bringing your concerns to our attention.

Please be aware, the HD world is relatively new, we are constantly trying to find the right mix to get more HD and with the best possible resolution. We work for improvement in this area every day. We are constantly analyzing our channel layout and trying to find better "match ups" for the bandwidth sharing. As we add channels and improve technology, you may, from time to time, see fluctuations in the picture quality. We apologize for this; however, we are doing this in an attempt to continue to offer more choices to our customers without serious quality degradation. We have also made strides in improving the quality of many channels on the service in the past few months with more improvements planned for the future. The best advice we can give to our HD customers is to be patient.

Thank you,

Jennifer S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes this e-mail has been sent to several and has been posted here in another thread.

Ahhh..but the HD newbie's question becomes...would it be better to stick with Dish, or is cable providing better PQ?? (Comcast?) I know they don't has as many channels, but am I going to be utterly disappointed with the PQ from Dish when I get it?

I understand your desire to post information you receive. Please edit and remove names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of Dish Network employees.

S~

Deja vu...I just sent the following email to ceo@echostar.com concerning HD picture quality.

In December, I sent this email to dishquality and have never received a response to my question. As a result, the picture quality on the 4 channels cited in the email have not improved. I am really getting tired of the declining HD quality being offered by DishNetwork. Why haven't channels migrated to MPEG4 yet? I await the day that DishNetwork offers HD picture quality in TrueHD (1920X1080i or 1280X720P with a decent bitrate). The horizon seems promising and I hope Dishnetwork will make a positive effort to add more HD programming AND improve picture quality. I have been a subscriber for a long time and know what a quality HD picture should be. I won't hesitate to look elsewhere in order to get the level of HD programming I expect and pay a premium for.

Date: 12/16/2006 10:32:31 AM
To: dishquality@echostar.com
Subject: HD Picture Quality

I notice a degradation in picture quality on the following HD channels:

9425 NFLHD
9429 NTGHD
9435 STZHD
9461 HGHD

There are terrible motion artifacts and lots of macroblocking. The picture on STZHD is very soft and lacks the picture sharpness that SHOHD and HBOHD have.

Could my observations be caused by the fact that these 4 HD channels share the same transponder on the 129 satellite (#30)? All the other HD channels on 129 are three to a transponder. FDHD, channel 9462 is on it's own transponder and the picture quality is much much better. Could this be caused by overcompression or insufficient bandwidth to support 4 channels on one transponder?

I look forward to your response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)