star choice in phoenix arizona

jdunstone

Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Can anyone tell me the co-ordinates and skew angle for Phoeniz arizona - the actual ones I will use when i am aiming with a compass - thanks, Jim

use this one...much better
plus if you have the quad LNB you aim at 111.1 anyweays (thats direct..107.3 is offset)

global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html

I had Starchoice in Tucson and the installers always had trouble getting the dish pointed correctly. Hope you got it to work!

I had Starchoice in Tucson and the installers always had trouble getting the dish pointed correctly. Hope you got it to work!

In those parts of the Valley where the Canadian winter visitors stay (East Valley & Sun City areas) there are installers who have at least some limited experience with Star Choice. I'm in the NW Valley and can recommend someone. If you need help, send me a PM. I'm currently in Quebec, but I can give you the contact info for the company, though the installer's name escapes me. Just make sure you let them know you need an installer with *C experience. It'll cost you at least $75 dollars for the pointing, and their service will almost certainly NOT include any dealings with *C to get you authorized. All they do is mount the dish, run the coax, and get the dish pointed until you get a signal at your TV. They will tweak the dish if necessary to maximize the signal, but that's it; then you're on your own. Your best bet is to have your receiver pre-authorized before the installer arrives. This would need to be done by the company who sells you the equipment, and it greatly simplifies things. The company you call to do the pointing may also first try to sell you a site survey (for another 40 bucks) to determine if your residence has a place to mount the dish that can see the satellites. If you can determine that you have visibility in the true south direction, you might be able to skip the site survey. You should also keep in mind that these installers subcontract for companies that may sell one or both of the US satellite services, and that the use of *C in the US by non-Canadians is grey-market stuff. I have found that they are willing to do the pointing, but the less they know about how you obtained your *C equipment, the better.

Also, the pointing information contained in the link Iceberg provided to you is reliable, but remember that the azimuth (horizontal direction) given in their data is relative to TRUE north, not compass north. The magnetic declination for Phoenix is approximately 12 degrees east, which should be subtracted from the true azimuth to get the correct compass heading. The 112th meridian of longitude runs roughly up 40th Street in Phoenix, and the Anik F2 satellite you need to point at is at 111.1, which means that your dish is pointed approximately 1 degree east of true south (true south equals approximately 168 degrees, magnetic compass heading). If you can somehow get your dish pointed to due south, this 1 degree equals about one-half inch rotation of the dish on the mast.

If perchance your residence is oriented true north/south/east/west, as many in Phoenix are, you can use the edge of your roof or building as a guide to establish true south and to do a rough pointing to get started; this is at least as accurate as messing with a compass, but you need to be SURE of the direction of your residence or this method will be a total waste of time. If you wish, you can PM me your address, or at least the cross streets, and I can help you determine this. You could also check a street atlas or better yet, Google Earth to see the orientation of your residence. The "north" shown in the street atlas and on Google Earth is true north, not compass north.

GOOD LUCK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts