Star Wars III on HD HBO

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

intrac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
When I began to watch Star Wars on my 211, it started off in Dolby 5.1 then became standard stereo.

Did this happen to anybody else?

I don't know if its DISH, the 211, or my Yamaha amp.

5.1 all of the way on my 622 plus it sure looked great and HBO actually showed it OAR!

I have a question on what you guys define as "OAR" - it was 2:35:1 when I watched it last night on HBOHD - which is of course the same OAR that the DVD was formatted in. However, when Episode II aired on HBOHD, it was presented in 1:78:1, whereas Episode II is also in 2:35:1 on the DVD. I was expecting the same thing w/Episode III last night - presentation in 1:78:1. Is the point of the OAR comments that folks are happy it was in 2:35:1 last night? Personally, I would have preferred 1:78:1 since I can always turn to the DVD if I want to see it in scope.

Also, as an aside, my 622 wasn't handling the movie very well - lots of "jumpiness" / hesitation throughout the film (it was subtle, but definitely noticeable). This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this. Also, I had set the DVR to record the movie earlier this week and my recording disappeared. I'm cautiously chalking all this up to some thunderstorms on Friday night where the power blinked a couple of times. I rebooted the 622 and set it to record the replay last night - am hoping that this sorted things out...anyone else notice any similar problems (specifically the jumpiness/hesitation)?

I saw the jumpiness/hesitation last night as well in a few scenes, but then I also noticed it earlier yesterday on some of the 007 movies on Filmfest. It didn't happen often, but when it did, it was definitely noticeable.

DD5.1 and it looked quite good last night too. I'm not going to complain. :)

Thwockage said:
...Is the point of the OAR comments that folks are happy it was in 2:35:1 last night? Personally, I would have preferred 1:78:1 since I can always turn to the DVD if I want to see it in scope. ...
You won't see it in HD from the DVD. By preserving the OAR it provides you the oportunity to see it in both HD and OAR.:cool:

I enjoyed the original format. I didn't notice any problems at all. No jumpiness, audio, etc. Went perfectly.

Here are comparison shots from both the Dvd and the E* version from last night...

Attachments

• Elevator dvd.JPG
    Elevator dvd.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Elevator E.JPG
    Elevator E.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 301
  • tatooine dvd.JPG
    tatooine dvd.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 254
  • tattoine E.JPG
    tattoine E.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 231
  • R2shakedown Dvd.JPG
    R2shakedown Dvd.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 231
  • R2shakedown E.JPG
    R2shakedown E.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 235
SaltiDawg said:
You won't see it in HD from the DVD. By preserving the OAR it provides you the oportunity to see it in both HD and OAR.:cool:

certainly true, but for my set-up, the difference is negligible. My Pioneer DV-59AVI player upconverts (very nicely) to 720P and I watch most of my HD viewing via an Optoma H79 projector, which does 720P...so, the difference in video quality between a DVD (particularly one as outstanding as Episode III) and anything shown on HBOHD (or ShowtimeHD, for that matter) isn't noticeable - it's all good :)

Regardless, thanks for the clarification.

As for my earlier point about the jumpiness/hesitation, I had also recorded Episode III on my 942 in another room and checked it out this afternoon - no issues noted, the picture was flawless. I'm a little disappointed in the 622 as a result...

OAR is how the move was shot thus meant to be seen. Cropped and pan and scan is a ripoff...you are only getting part of what you paid for and what the director wanted you to see.

So YES its about time HBO stopped ripping us off and jacking what the film was supposed to be look like.

Thwockage said:
I have a question on what you guys define as "OAR" - it was 2:35:1 when I watched it last night on HBOHD - which is of course the same OAR that the DVD was formatted in. However, when Episode II aired on HBOHD, it was presented in 1:78:1, whereas Episode II is also in 2:35:1 on the DVD. I was expecting the same thing w/Episode III last night - presentation in 1:78:1. Is the point of the OAR comments that folks are happy it was in 2:35:1 last night? Personally, I would have preferred 1:78:1 since I can always turn to the DVD if I want to see it in scope.

Also, as an aside, my 622 wasn't handling the movie very well - lots of "jumpiness" / hesitation throughout the film (it was subtle, but definitely noticeable). This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this. Also, I had set the DVR to record the movie earlier this week and my recording disappeared. I'm cautiously chalking all this up to some thunderstorms on Friday night where the power blinked a couple of times. I rebooted the 622 and set it to record the replay last night - am hoping that this sorted things out...anyone else notice any similar problems (specifically the jumpiness/hesitation)?

Looked great (bitrate couldve been higher) sounded AMAZING, great Battle scenes... horrible dialogue! Good job E* and HBO... Reading over at AVS many D* people were hating life commenting on this movie, and someone finally post the E* vs D* caps... not huge but noticeable!

Thwockage said:

The aspect ratio in the theatre was 2.35:1, so that would be the "original" one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)