StarChoice DVR-530 - buggy software?

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
Hi, all. My girlfriend's Canadian and a StarChoice subscriber, so I'm asking this question on her behalf. She wanted something comparable to my DirecTivo, so she got the DVR-530 HD DVR from StarChoice (she has no HDTV, but wanted the dual tuner, PVR, etc.) She's had nothing but trouble with it since day one. It seems the software is buggy as hell. It locks up randomly, or randomly reboots. Sometimes the problems are more predictable, like trying to do certain actions (fast-forwarding, maybe?) while a show is just starting to record can cause it to lock up. Sometimes shows fail to record - configured timers will just disappear. I can ask her for more specifics, but basically the thing has been a huge disappointment/PITA since she got it.

My question is this - is this something other users have experienced as well, or did she get a bad receiver? She paid over CAD$700 for it, so if it's a bad receiver, she'll definitely get it replaced. It sounds to me, though, like the software is just buggy as hell, and I figured people here would know if that was the case or not. She lives in an area with sketchy power, so she put the receiver on a UPS, which has helped some, but most of the bugs still remain. So, has anyone else got any suggestions/input?

There are lots of threads here that chronical the history of the 530. It has been buggy from the get go and is the reason that many of us opted for SC HD receivers only.

They are slowly but surely fixing the bugs. By the sounds of it, she has A8 software. A newer version (BC) was rolled out to a number of randomly selected units before Christmas. A major new bug stopped this.

In the meantime, all their efforts went to getting the 505 receiver more or less bug free simply because there are so many more 505 in use vs the 530.

The good news is that new code is being written for the 530. Checkout this link where you find the greatest number of 530 owners:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid the situation was something like that. What's an "SC HD" receiver? I assume it's a StarChoice non-DVR receiver?

pestie said:
What's an "SC HD" receiver?

DSR505 is the HD receiver. Actually it is the same as the Motorola Voom DSR550 (without the ATSC tuner). SC actually bought all the leftover Voom receivers from Motorola, rebadged them and loaded them with SC firmware.

They list at $199 canadian, but are often on sale in the $129 to $179 range. Sorta like having a 530 without a harddrive and buggy software.

I can give you a very large list of problems I have had with my 530; I have had 2!

I really do not understand why everybody seems to take up for *C here.

Don't expect it to record 2 programs back to back!

Unless you live somewhere you cannot receive the signal from ExpressVu, I would sell the 530 and get a 9200!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)