Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
“DISH Network has requested access to deliver Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia to our customers; however Comcast has refused to enter into good faith discussions. Comcast’s refusal clearly demonstrates a disturbing pattern of discriminatory behavior – as we have indicated in our previous arbitration filings – whereby the provider continues to restrict access to must-have sports programming and inappropriately uses its leverage to drive onerous terms for its other programming properties. DISH Network believes that Comcast is in direct violation of the FCC’s order to close the “terrestrial loophole” within the program access rules, and plans to file a formal complaint. It is this type of anti-competitive conduct that reinforces our argument that the merger between Comcast and NBCU poses a grave threat to competition in the multichannel video market.”

Comcast really is trying to make sure there owned channels are Comcast excursive, looks like they done found another loophole. and that loophole's name is contract negotiations. another example of the future of the Cable/Satellite business in effect. disputes over carriage everywhere for every provider, i just wish the FCC and the government would something about that issue.

just glad this channel isn't my regional sports network, since i live in "Dallas Cowboys Country, aka North Texas.

philly inquirer

this is an article fromthe philly inquirer on the subject

Dish: We will file Comcast complaint over sports | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/31/2010

What I don't understand is why does it mean when they say they won't give discuss with Dish do to business practices the ability to carry CSN, but on another line they say Comcast will discuss carriage. Seems to me these to statements or contray to one another. If they'll discuss carriage why won't they discuss carrying the channel? Another contradiction is when Comcast says they offer CSN to their competition. If they did then D* and E* wouldn't now be asking to carry the channel.

Some one explain please.

Ron

Another contradiction is when Comcast says they offer CSN to their competition. If they did then D* and E* wouldn't now be asking to carry the channel.

Some one explain please.

Ron

Comcast using double talk, so surprising ;)

They provide CSN Philly to RCN (has some small markets around Philly) and FIOS (which is only available in certain areas) because they couldn't hide behind the terrestrial loophole for these providers like they can for satellite.

This is the same company that wants everyone just to trust them about not withholding NBC Universal content, but yet their track record says differently. They also said they wouldn't challenge any FCC access regulations, yet here we are. :mad:

Comcast using double talk, so surprising ;)

They provide CSN Philly to RCN (has some small markets around Philly) and FIOS (which is only available in certain areas) because they couldn't hide behind the terrestrial loophole for these providers like they can for satellite.

This is the same company that wants everyone just to trust them about not withholding NBC Universal content, but yet their track record says differently. They also said they wouldn't challenge any FCC access regulations, yet here we are. :mad:

How are they able to hide behind the the former loophole for Sat. but weren't able to do so for FIOS and RCN?

I agree i'm totally against Comcast purchase of NBC. It would be the worst thing ever for the tv viewer.

I just watched Capitalism "A Love Story" by Micael Moore and Comcast fits in with the rest of those cut throat businesses like the banking industry. They're no better than Goldman Sachs.

Ron

How are they able to hide behind the the former loophole for Sat. but weren't able to do so for FIOS and RCN?

From wiki:
Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is distributed only via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network. Since CSN Philadelphia does not uplink its signal to any satellite, Comcast was able to avoid an FCC regulation that requires most television channels to be offered to direct broadcast satellite (DBS) companies (known as the "terrestrial loophole").

I know I am late posting to this, but being in Phila area, I have been bitching about this for 15 years.
I hear Comcast gave Fios access to CSN to prevent a court case where Verizon was going to fight Comcast over providing local Telephone service.

I have also heard because of the old prism network is why Comcast used to be able to use the loop hole, but go to a phillies game and you see a CSN truck in the parking lot with a sat dish (transmitter) pointed at the sky..
Dish/Direct TV has the lowest sat install density of any major area in the Phila area because of this. No way comcast is going to give in easy.
If I want to watch the phillies, I am forced to pay comcast an additional $60.00 per month (I want HD) for the season. I also have comcast internet since it's ISP where I live.

So is Comcast using this same loophole for Comcast Sports Net California? We lost CSN California about a month ago through a breakdown in contract negotiations, meaning no San Jose Sharks hockey for us.

Hey Dish, you can't on one hand request arbitration on CSN Philly and, on the other hand, refuse to abide by the fees the arbitrator has proposed for CSN Cal....

Seems Comcast lost another court battle regarding their Sportsnet Channels, as well as Cablevision and MSG. But you know they will appeal and tie up the courts as long as possible before sharing their one possession that keeps customers form Dish and DirecTV.

'Refs' side with the FCC | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/11/2011

A federal rule that could help bring Phillies baseball, Knicks basketball, and other sports to more television viewers withstood a challenge from Cablevision Systems Corp. in a court decision issued Friday. The U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington said the Federal Communications Commission acted within its rights in a January 2010 rule that aimed to make coverage of sports teams more widely available. Withholding sports programming by cable companies, such as Cablevision and Comcast Corp., can place competitors such as telephone companies and satellite providers at a "serious disadvantage," the judges said in a 3-0 ruling.
"We doubt that Philadelphia baseball fans would switch" to an alternative TV service "if doing so would mean they could no longer watch Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels take the mound," the court said in Judge David Tatel's 48-page opinion.
Comcast, of Philadelphia, withholds its SportsNet coverage of teams in Philadelphia from satellite providers DirecTV and Dish.
And AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. have complained to the FCC of not being able to buy access for their television services to sports programming controlled by Cablevision, of Bethpage, N.Y.
Friday's court decision "clears the way for the FCC to resolve pending program-access disputes and to ensure that the programming that is important to sports fans is available to them," Michael Glover, a Verizon senior vice president, said in an e-mail.
In its 2010 rule, the FCC said cable competitors were harmed when they were unable to get access to cable-owned sports shows.
The judges put one restriction on the rule, saying the FCC can't simply assume harm without looking at a particular complaint.

Another story here:
AT&T, Verizon Push FCC to Resolve Complaints in Wake of Court Decision - 2011-06-10 22:15:00 | Multichannel News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)