Stereo?

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I'm wondering if there is a setting for MONO or STEREO on the 522. The reason I ask is because I have the 522 going into my TV and audio comes out of the TV and into my receiver. The surround speakers are not outputting sound on any channel. --- and it was just working a few feeks ago! Nothing has changed in my setup... and I know the speakers are working because there is a test mode that makes all the speakers play... my only thought is.. surround doesn't work in MONO.... only stereo. The TV is set to stereo... but that doesn't mean its receiving stereo.... any thoughts?

I have more to add.... I forgot that I still have basic cable in addition to the 522.. so I just shut off the sat and put on channel 2 (CBS) over the cable... and the surround speakers are playing!! I put on the CBS on the sat and they go out... so I can only conclude that my 522 is not supplying stereo... is this a setting?

Correct. The channel 3/4 coaxal cable does not provide stereo output on the 522.
The reason why cable works is because cable is sent in stereo and when you turn the 522 off, that signal is just sent through and not touched by the 522. And you're also correct that your audio receiver can only make the surround sound effects with a stereo connection. So should directly conenct the stereo output of the 522 to your audio receiver or even better would be the toslink cable if you have that on your audio receiver.

The mystery is SOLVED... ok, its working.... I did a search for STEREO on this site and found out that the RF output of the 522 on TV1 is MONO (which is rediculous, I might add)... My TV was on channel 3 to receive the picutre and sound... I simply pressed TV INPUT on my TV to go to input 2 - which is the input for the RCA cables for audio and pic from the 522) and the surround works! It was just that mono RF messing things up.

Typically the only people who use the RF channel 3/4 on the local TV are those who don't have anything but an old TV without any other type of input, or don't care or don't know how to connect something to a stereo input.

Yes I use the coax output for one of my recievers connected to a TV that doesn't have other inputs but in my home theater I use the rca outputs. Well I use the RCA outputs going to my PC and RCA audio and S-video to my VCR then I use the Optical output for my main audio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)