Steven Spielberg and George Lucas predict ‘massive implosion’ in film industry

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Good read. The concept of say Iron Man costing more ticket-wise than Lincoln is interesting.

I for one look forward to the day where I can just download a blu-ray quality file to a media device in my home to rent. I'd also gladly pay $30-40 if I could download a movie in the same concept the day it hit the theaters. Hell, I'd probably spend $50 a flick if I could download Man of Steel on release day...

The fact is, at least in my area, the Cinemas are run down, have low audio, obnoxious people in the audience and $8 cokes. Why would my wife and I want to go do that for $40-50, when I can easily hit Redbox 4 months later for $1.61? They have done it to themselves, and I enjoy movies at home on Blu-ray until something as good or better comes along.

Link

Also note the M$ guy. Cough "Xbox One" Cough... LOL

What? Theatrical releases? They do it on Vudu with some crap movies. They have to make it worth their time, which means money. Kaleidoscope has something in place but their gear is way overpriced. In this day and age I do not see why I still need to use optical for blu-ray PQ and AQ. Just let me get a file.

Im hoping this is maybe something we see in the new consoles. They have 500 gig drives. Let me download a 35gig file for a movie and watch it. I get not everyone wants this, but why force me into inferior streaming? I think its cuz they are still hard headed and want you to buy a DISC, when i do not want to.

Im hoping this is maybe something we see in the new consoles. They have 500 gig drives. Let me download a 35gig file for a movie and watch it. I get not everyone wants this, but why force me into inferior streaming? I think its cuz they are still hard headed and want you to buy a DISC, when i do not want to.

I am having no problem with the optical discs. I have noticed that virtually every disc that comes with a streaming option has an expiration date on the streaming. This might be OK for the action adventure crowd where the previous movie is so last week, but my viewing means I want to collect and treasure. I am afraid that the trend is toward sh!tty copies on PPV and an eyeball count multiplier if only they can figure out the technology.

I like the physical disc so that I can take it anywhere without having to lug around electronics.

I've been using moviepass for a month and love it. One movie per day, does not include 3D or Imax and can only see a movie once all for a flat monthly rate. I've seen 8 movies since I got the pass, makes going to the movies much more affordable. Use the cinemark app to generate coupons for concessions and my theater costs are a fraction of what they were a year ago.

Edited to add: A little self-serving but, I just realized there is a referral bonus of a free month of service for every three people invited that sign up. PM me if you're interested and I send you a referral (assuming that is permissible under the terms of the site).

Last edited:
Ive really thought about movie pass.

I dont see optical going anywhere, nor would I want it to, but all im saying is give me more options.

Good read. The concept of say Iron Man costing more ticket-wise than Lincoln is interesting.

I for one look forward to the day where I can just download a blu-ray quality file to a media device in my home to rent. I'd also gladly pay $30-40 if I could download a movie in the same concept the day it hit the theaters. Hell, I'd probably spend $50 a flick if I could download Man of Steel on release day...

The fact is, at least in my area, the Cinemas are run down, have low audio, obnoxious people in the audience and $8 cokes. Why would my wife and I want to go do that for $40-50, when I can easily hit Redbox 4 months later for $1.61? They have done it to themselves, and I enjoy movies at home on Blu-ray until something as good or better comes along.

Link

Also note the M$ guy. Cough "Xbox One" Cough... LOL

I'd gladly pay 50$ to see a first run movie in my home. Cinemas here are big business. The one I go to "VIP" has reserved leather seats. Each seats has a swinging table. Extra leg room. service to the seats. Full Bar and expanded menu: chicken wings, Angus burgers, shrimps, cheese cake etc.

20$ per ticket but its well worth it (age 18and up). Downside is they favor 3D movies which am not a fan of.

Cheers, K

I am having no problem with the optical discs. I have noticed that virtually every disc that comes with a streaming option has an expiration date on the streaming. This might be OK for the action adventure crowd where the previous movie is so last week, but my viewing means I want to collect and treasure. I am afraid that the trend is toward sh!tty copies on PPV and an eyeball count multiplier if only they can figure out the technology.

Im not willing to go streaming just for convenience, I expect it to match blu-ray quality. No way do i agree with the Roku or ATV is fine crowd. I did not buy all this gear to watch some of that crap.

BUT, Optical is long in the tooth, id like to own my movies as a file. Look at CD vs itunes/Amazon MP3. Ive not bought a CD literally since 2005. I have my entire music library (1900+ songs) backed up to the cloud and I will never lose them, plus I have them loaded on devices in every car. Thats what I want from blu-ray quality movies going forward. Rental or own, give it to me in a file (which should be cheaper and is more "green"), not on a stupid disc someone has to ship to me or I have to drive somewhere to get. Download is in your hands ASAP, look at how much is wasted in jewel cases and sleeves, mailing, etc...

The one I go to "VIP" has reserved leather seats. Each seats has a swinging table. Extra leg room. service to the seats. Full Bar and expanded menu: chicken wings, Angus burgers, shrimps, cheese cake etc....

That would be cool! I got out of going to theaters for a long time after I built up my home theater, but got back into it after I tried one in IMAX. I love my home theater, but for a good action flick, IMAX experience blows it out of the water. hehe

Now I see several of the theater conglomerates are coming up with their own versions of IMAX. (ex. Regal's new RPX) I was pissed that Fast/Furious 6 wasn't in IMAX, then I read about the IMAX competitors that were showing FF6. None in CLT, so I said what the heck, and drove down to Columbia to the closest RPX theater. (45 minute drive, not that bad) VERY nice theater, seats, and screen, but nothing like you mention as far as the "VIP" section.

Im not willing to go streaming just for convenience, I expect it to match blu-ray quality. No way do i agree with the Roku or ATV is fine crowd. I did not buy all this gear to watch some of that crap...

Agree 100%! :up

The problem is that these studios are so poorly run and there's no good quality control that they've backed themselves in some sort of corner where they need to keep raising the stakes. How about instead of running up hundreds of millions of dollars in costs that you do some internal cleaning up to cut down on waste, and perform some better QC on what DOES get released? Just an idea..