Strange Treatment during account cancellation

vicw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Southern Pines, NC
I'm somewhat in a state of shock regarding Dish right now. I've had their HD service for six years or so, and I need to cancel, since we are moving and it will be several months before we are resettled. I called yesterday to process the cancellation, which went OK, although it took forever to complete.

Later yesterday, the close of escrow on our sale was suddenly delayed for another week, so I have been trying to call them to change the cancellation date. I am finding it impossible to reach anyone at Dish, since they now classify my account as PAST DUE, even though I have been on autopay for years, and my next payment wouldn't normally be taken out until next week.

I've send a couple of emails today, trying to get someone's attention, but I'm not optomistic anyone there really cares enough to do anything about it. This should just about ice any thoughts I had about starting up with Dish again after we get moved and resettled. Anyone else had this kind of problem, or have any ideas how to get to them?

If you know another Dish subscribers phone number call from your cell or neighbors phone and punch in the active subscribers number and you will get through. Good luck.

NightRyder

charper1 said:
Once you cancel with them they become angry and rude and will screw up your billing account.

not as bad as voom or direct tv.

if you have forgotten. dish won the jd power award this year. :)

JFS7931 said:
Try cancelling aol. You will know the true meaning of hell after that.
I just did that a few weeks ago. It took over 45 minutes for me to cancel, they kept on telling me how great AOL service was and I kept telling them I just wanted to cancel, and they still kept telling me how great AOL was, finally the only way to cancel was to start getting rude to the guy on the other end.

You shouldn't need to jump through hoops to cancel.

JFS7931 said:
Try cancelling aol. You will know the true meaning of hell after that.

I cancelled more than 4 years ago. it took a long time to cancel adn they still call once a week to try to wrangle me back.

yep. Did that with AOL too...about 8 years ago.

Qwest local phone is another one. I moved my Qwest landline number to my Nextel phone and Qwest calls about once a week asking me if I'm happy with my current service and would I like to switch :)

Dish Followup Resolved My Problem

thiggin2 said:
... try ceo@dishnetwork.com they normally will get back with you within a couple hours. ...

:) Thanks for the advice. I sent an email to that address late last night , and received a call back from Dish' executive office this morning . The caller was very apologetic, and promised that she would change the cancellation date to accomodate my request. She also promised to review the process to see how cancellation, combined with autopay, caused that status.

I believe that this circumstance is simply a process problem, not any deliberate action on the part of Dish to make life miserable for their subscribers. My situation is pretty unusual in that I needed to gp back to them to modify a cancellation request. I wouldn't use that email path except under extraordinary circumstances, but it helped tremendously this time.

Scott, you just NOW cancelled aol?? Good lord, what were you keeping it around for!!!! I hope Mr. Satelliteguys.us had something better than aol for his internet connection :D

AOL did have it's own broadband service but that ends this month I think.

When I cancelled my SBC service to go to another phone company when we lived at our house they figured they would keep mailing me crap and calling me to ask me to come back.

Sure am glad I have Vonage now. :)

vicw said:
:) Thanks for the advice. I sent an email to that address late last night , and received a call back from Dish' executive office this morning . The caller was very apologetic, and promised that she would change the cancellation date to accomodate my request. She also promised to review the process to see how cancellation, combined with autopay, caused that status.

I believe that this circumstance is simply a process problem, not any deliberate action on the part of Dish to make life miserable for their subscribers. My situation is pretty unusual in that I needed to gp back to them to modify a cancellation request. I wouldn't use that email path except under extraordinary circumstances, but it helped tremendously this time.
Your DISH Network account is paid a month in advance so they should owe you money. It may have been a long time ago but your first bill from DISH is a 2 month bill so you are always paid a month in advance. :)

Their billing system is somewhat dumb when it comes to cancelled/closed accounts. When I cancelled, I owed $16 and some change... No big deal... The next monthly bill comes, for $16 and change, and is marked with exclamation points and the word "serious" and something about "service has been disconnected" and to call to make arrangements to pay and get it turned back on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)