Stream Dish Through Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Happy Hopper

Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Idaho
Hi,
If my satellite dish is blocked or broken, is there a way to watch Dish through my Hopper, via the ethernet cable, plugged into the back of the receiver?

If my satellite dish is blocked or broken, is there a way to watch Dish through my Hopper, via the ethernet cable, plugged into the back of the receiver?
You should be able to watch programs already on the DVR, or via your ISP by looking at a VOD program, or (if you have an antenna) OTA broadcasts. Do you know what happened to your dish? Some of us are experiencing snowstorm temporary outages.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the quick replies. Dish had snow on it, but it just got me to thinking, that one might be able to view there subscribed Dish programming on there TV via the high speed ethernet cable plugged into the back of the receiver, with no satellite dish required.

Roku stick does not offer Dishanywhere, but Fire stick does. Perhaps some sort of agreement between Dish and Amazon. Be aware though. Fire remote is not easy to use since it has no number buttons.

TheKrell, I hope that nasty storm didn't do much damage to your neighborhood. What a mess on the highway.

Reactions: TheKrell
TheKrell, I hope that nasty storm didn't do much damage to your neighborhood. What a mess on the highway.
Isn't that the truth! My senator, Tim Caine, was stuck on 95 for 27 hrs and only made it to the Capital this afternoon! My property has sustained very little damage other than two small branches. No plow; no mail; no trash collection. But I never lost power or the satellite! My Cox cable was up and down and up and down for a few hours, but other than that, my consumer electronics has kept us sane.

I somewhat dread relying on internet for my TV experience because, while my ISP is pretty reliable, there were two extended outages last year that lasted between 18 and 24 hours. Those are extremely rare events, but during those outages I was thankful I rely on Dish for TV entertainment and not the internet vMVPD's nor streaming services no any video content available on the web. While I do view a fair amount of web content, the real TV watching and recording is by far via Dish. What are we gonna do without the satellites when we exclusively use internet (under attack from China) for all of our TV viewing in the future? :). Oh, I do have TiVo for OTA, that can help.

I somewhat dread relying on internet for my TV experience because, while my ISP is pretty reliable, there were two extended outages last year that lasted between 18 and 24 hours. Those are extremely rare events, but during those outages I was thankful I rely on Dish for TV entertainment and not the internet vMVPD's nor streaming services no any video content available on the web. While I do view a fair amount of web content, the real TV watching and recording is by far via Dish. What are we gonna do without the satellites when we exclusively use internet (under attack from China) for all of our TV viewing in the future? :). Oh, I do have TiVo for OTA, that can help.
I have two ISP's for our motorhome, AT&T and Verizon. Everywhere we've been, one or the other has been quite solid, often both. When we're parked on our site at our family cottage, we also have Spectrum available. Overall, the most unreliable service has been from Spectrum, probably because of our remote location that leaves long stretches of cable subject to damage by weather, traffic accidents, construction, and even critter damage. We lost Spectrum for a coupe of days twice when squirrels invaded a buried cable to pole transition/splice stanchion that wasn't tightly closed.

Over the past couple of years, we're finding ourselves setting up our portable satellite dish less often for short stays. Now we don't use it unless we're staying at least 3-4 days or more, streaming exclusively the rest of the time. Even when we do set up the dish, close to half our viewing is still streamed. I expect we'll likely drop Dish relatively soon in favor of all streaming.

Over the past couple of years, we're finding ourselves setting up our portable satellite dish less often for short stays. Now we don't use it unless we're staying at least 3-4 days or more, streaming exclusively the rest of the time. Even when we do set up the dish, close to half our viewing is still streamed. I expect we'll likely drop Dish relatively soon in favor of all streaming.
I should add to this in defense of our Dish subscription, that even when we're only streaming, a part of that is with the DishAnywhere app using the Hopper 2 back at our cottage. That's certainly a consideration in deciding when or if we will drop Dish. There are streaming services that can replace our Dish content, but the overall cost of those also has to be considered.

I set up a firestick for wife's sister for her winter in mexico.

Streaming Anywhere seamless and blinding fast responses. The firestick dish guide is faster than the hopper
So where in Mexico were you able to do this. I am in San Jose Del Cabo. Do you think this will this work there?

So where in Mexico were you able to do this. I am in San Jose Del Cabo. Do you think this will this work there?
You would need a Hopper set up in the US to make this work. The DishAnywhere over the Firestick accesses that Hopper and allows you to watch from anywhere in the world.

Reactions: charlesrshell