Stuck in small town Iowa

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have recently moved from Dallas to small town Iowa, Fairfield to be exact. I am going to move my Dish up here soon, and was told by Dish Direct, I was not able to receive distant locals. So I went to antennaweb.com and put in my info. Well all the channels I would want, NBC CBS ABC and FOX, all show up in the Violet range. Most are VHF, and one is UHF. They are from 79.1 to 90.2 miles away. Looks like none offer a digital signal, so damn. Any advice or help would be apprecitated.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
52556, Fairfield, Iowa at 80+ miles you would likely need the best quality long range antenna you can find and mount that sucker up real high. At or above the roof line of the typical 2 story home; at minimum. The sad, ugly side is that the towers are in scattered directions.

Based on the DNS tool at DirecTV you are eligible for for SD service from The CW, PBS, NBC, and CBS and NBC in digital. The remaining FOX digital is listed as UHF, only 13 miles away and at 358° heading. The ABC is listed as UHF and 217° heading and about 43 miles away with 87. kW power. With the combination of DBS and a good OTA you should be able to get what you need.

Last edited:

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
Thanks for the hep

I may have to switch to Direct TV just to get some of my locals. Any idea on what type or brand of Antenna I should be looking at?

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
Hey Charper1

For ABC and Fox, do you recommend any certain type of antenna? I would like to pick up the DTV signal, as they may some day start to broadcast in HD. Would I need a directional or multi directional antenna? Should I get an amplifyer? Are there companies out there that will advise me directly on what I need?

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Well the FOX at only 13 miles away should come in with darn near any UHF antenna; as far as that ABC and it's 43 miles; you could go to a local radio shack (not that they are the best) but try what they offer as a test with an easy return policy.

Model: VU-75 XR | Catalog #: 15-2151

If it works then you are good to go; if not, then it easy to return and likely you will be shopping online; maybe for a Channel Master 4228.

http://www.solidsignal.com/antennas/

Now if want to try to get those 80m channels; best to find some local help, see if anyone else is doing it, before you spend any money on something really large and the tower to erect it on.

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
As a life long resident of Iowa (Waterloo), I feel for you! Welcome to the state!

Ditto on that. Fairfield falls into a blackhole when it comes to locals as that part of the state is in neither the Cedar Rapids or Des Moines DMA. By law, Fairfield is in the Ottumwa/Kirksville DMA and neither E* or D* carry the 2 locals that serve the DMA.

Don't let the snow and c-c-c-c-c-old get you down, Spring is only 2 months away :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)